January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:02 pm
I did have a theory that....if we loan another (say Eaves) it means we have Traf, Bradley, Beck, Nlundulu, Shortire, A.Another on loan.

That's 6. You can only have 5 in your matchday squads. So was it bringing John into the fold as Beck presumably would often be the one to miss out, and therefore DJ might be involved on the bench more?
This is the issue with where we are at the minute.

You may well be right and we may have adjusted what was going on with John.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:27 pm

I think he's made his mind up on John. If we had six loanees and Beck was the one to miss out I think you'd have Geth and Sads (assuming still here) as cover down the left.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:27 pm
I think he's made his mind up on John. If we had six loanees and Beck was the one to miss out I think you'd have Geth and Sads (assuming still here) as cover down the left.
Is Beck injured? I noticed John back on the bench ahead of him and wondered if he and Evatt had kissed and made up.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:47 pm

The main mon Alan Nixon is claiming we're still in a fight with Wigan for Adeboyejo, and that who stumps up the highest wages might be the determining factor in success. Kind of hope we're not in a bidding war with a Championship club, tbh.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:03 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:47 pm
The main mon Alan Nixon is claiming we're still in a fight with Wigan for Adeboyejo, and that who stumps up the highest wages might be the determining factor in success. Kind of hope we're not in a bidding war with a Championship club, tbh.
Me too, but we could equally try and saddle them with a big wage bill for next year when they're not... :-) Albeit we'd need to find someone else...

sleepingindiana79
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by sleepingindiana79 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:03 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Me too, but we could equally try and saddle them with a big wage bill for next year when they're not... :-) Albeit we'd need to find someone else...
Think it depends how high evatt is willing to go and how much wigan have

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:10 pm

sleepingindiana79 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:08 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:03 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Think it depends how high evatt is willing to go and how much wigan have
I'm sure that's correct. :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:42 pm

We already knew that we'd felt able to get Ade because Wigan were struggling to reach terms with him - so we presumably understood we'd need to offer decent money. The stumbling block isn't the fee, it's a release clause. So it's about whether his agent can squeeze more out of Wigan or if they'll take our terms. I don't see a battle.

They may hang on to see if Millwall get involved. Don't think there's been any news on their other interest yet.

The hope is we're not just being used to push his wages up. That they will genuinely bring him here if our offer is good enough.

Like I said, the longer it drags on the less I like it.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:12 pm

The photo of his agent in the stadium says all you need to know. Screams "We mean business Wigan, get out the cheque book and start offering what we want"

They also know we're desperate for a striker. Send em packing if they're fecking about. Not worth having someone who is playing us off other clubs.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:27 pm

This is the issue with January. Do you wait for the one you want and risk getting nothing, or get one you don't really want?

It's made much worse for us as we're not free in the loan market due to how many we already have in. We can't loan both strikers we want, even if we sent Beck back. So we probably need to buy someone and put them on the payroll past the summer. Doing that with someone you're not thrilled by now, never mind if you go up, isn't great.

Time is on their side and we may have to pay a bit more than we'd like. Like I say, I don't see a bidding war, though. We'd either have reached terms or not. then they'll see who will beat it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:37 pm

It reads to me like a typical Nixon holding statement to essentially say ‘No new news’.

I’d not get too worked up about it. It always looked a tricky deal with championship clubs in. But as Evatt said yesterday they need to get busy quickly as we are desperate now.

Listening to Daryl Morris on the radio Manchester podcast I agree with him. We’ve weakened ourselves in January and that’s not normal for us. Next week very important.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:03 pm

I can't say I'm worked up about it, I just think the reality is we've less wriggle room than we might like due to how many loans we have. It's especially an issue when your main keeper is a loanee. We've pushed the loan market this season (as you tend to have to in League One) because we didn't get what we needed in the summer and when we've done normal January business it's caught up with us a bit.

These are all leftover issues from the summer, so I'm neither surprised nor perturbed. It's just when everyone earns their money. It may be that a player like Ade, who most fans seem to have never heard of, might rock up as our top earner and highest transfer fee of the Evatt era. That's pretty normal when buying a striker, but it'll come as a shock to a few, I'd expect.

We are, after all, talking tiny amounts for a goal scorer. Burnley just sneezed £12m on a lad from Belgium's top division like it was nothing, so 400k is placed into context. That young man's reputed wages of 40k a week would pay for a good section of our squad.

However, if Ade doesn't immediately bang them in it'll be the end of the world for some - because he will probably feel expensive in light of what people are saying about Dapo.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:04 pm

We are missing some firepower for sure. I don't think we've "weakened ourselves"...

If we'd have started Charles and Dad Bod (uninjured) last night, with N'lundulu to come on, no one would be suggesting we'd weakened ourselves. Given the Shortire played better at 10 for me than Dapo might have.

We have 1 more LWB than we had, for Iredale who you don't rate.

So I'm not convinced that we have "weakened ourselves" - we've got a couple of forward injuries and haven't strengthened yet in the forward line.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:04 pm
We are missing some firepower for sure. I don't think we've "weakened ourselves"...

If we'd have started Charles and Dad Bod (uninjured) last night, with N'lundulu to come on, no one would be suggesting we'd weakened ourselves. Given the Shortire played better at 10 for me than Dapo might have.

We have 1 more LWB than we had, for Iredale who you don't rate.

So I'm not convinced that we have "weakened ourselves" - we've got a couple of forward injuries and haven't strengthened yet in the forward line.
I think we have. He thinks we have.

It’s not as simple as one in one out. The young lad looks promising but has a long way to go. Williams is a ways off fitness and Nlundulu has been pushed to needing a few weeks out.

I think the point is we normally are in January stronger but right now it certainly doesn’t seem it. In December we had 4 strikers and rotated them off the bench.

The two long term injuries we’ve had clearly hasn’t helped
either.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
We've weakened ourselves in the sense that a 27 man squad is naturally stronger than a 25 man squad, which is what we currently have.

Hopefully we can shed a couple more and finish at not much more than that 25 when the window closes and we've made more signings.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:51 pm

I don't count injuries as "weakening ourselves" personally.

Would we be stronger with a fit Iredale, Dan and JDB? Sure.

Would we be stronger with Dapo over Shoretire, injured Bak over injured Dan (unless you have some solid reason to think Dan more injury prone you have to treat the chances the same at the time, i.e. you don't know) and John/Beck over Randy? Not at all for me.

The squad is weaker currently IMO that at the start of Jan, but that's down to injuries not recruitment.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:10 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
We've weakened ourselves in the sense that a 27 man squad is naturally stronger than a 25 man squad, which is what we currently have.

Hopefully we can shed a couple more and finish at not much more than that 25 when the window closes and we've made more signings.
I thought purely on numbers we were +1?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:51 pm
The squad is weaker currently IMO that at the start of Jan, but that's down to injuries not recruitment.
This.

If you put Baka and Dapo back in this team we still need more fire power up front. They solve nothing but short term cover and wouldn't get a start otherwise.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:04 pm
I thought purely on numbers we were +1?
Yes, but if Dapo and Baka were still here we'd have 27 players and would still need 2 more.

If we had the squad people are actually calling for now (needing more firepower and not selling anyone) we'd have a squad of 29 players come February with 10 forwards in it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:06 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:51 pm
This.

If you put Baka and Dapo back in this team we still need more fire power up front. They solve nothing but short term cover and wouldn't get a start otherwise.
Yes - sorry - I wasn't suggesting we weren't weaker - like Pru says, I was suggeting we hadn't "weakened ourselves"..