Oh I do like to be above the....... - Blackpool (A) 22/11/14

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Oh I do like to be above the....... - Blackpool (A) 22/1

Post by Jugs » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:52 pm

I think he means that he'll perform quite well for us.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:14 am

Jugs wrote:I think he means that he'll perform quite well for us.
He knows. Don't encourage him.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:23 am

he will have been testing out a new batch of the communion wine

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:52 am

Eidur at 30 years old, I would agree. Eidur who has struggled in a poor league for the past three years will not. He was never a prolific goalscorer in his prime and that is what we need.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:59 am

I've been struggling to think how far back we have to go to find a "prolific goal-scorer" in a Bolton team? In recent memory we've had several classed as such, "foxes in boxes, etc: Borgetti, Elmander, Klasnic, N'gog, Sordell, Beckford etc,etc, of only Nicolas Anelka was really proficient in the role. SuperKev was always worth his place as either a striker or assist front man, but who really earned the title? Our goals of late come from a mish-mash of anywhere on the pitch men, but super strikers?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:08 am

TANGODANCER wrote:I've been struggling to think how far back we have to go to find a "prolific goal-scorer" in a Bolton team? In recent memory we've had several classed as such, "foxes in boxes, etc: Borgetti, Elmander, Klasnic, N'gog, Sordell, Beckford etc,etc, of only Nicolas Anelka was really proficient in the role. SuperKev was always worth his place as either a striker or assist front man, but who really earned the title? Our goals of late come from a mish-mash of anywhere on the pitch men, but super strikers?
The last player we had to score 15 or more in a season (including cup games) was Ricketts in 2001/02 with 15 and Ricketts again the season before with 24 in Division 1. Season before that 99/2000 was actually Gudjohnsen with 21.


Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:27 am

According to wiki Eidur scored 19 in 59 for us and 54 in 186 for Chelsea in his 'prime'. I wouldn't mind a 1 in 3 goalscorer!

He may not have maintained that ratio his whole career, but who has? Incidentally, in 2012/13 he managed a near 1 in 2 ratio. Hierro, Speed Youri all managed to contribute positively at a similar age. If Eidur can prove his fitness and can be signed until the end of the season for the right money then why not? As long as signing him doesn't hinder the development of Clayton et al then it seems to me to be a good idea.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:I've been struggling to think how far back we have to go to find a "prolific goal-scorer" in a Bolton team? In recent memory we've had several classed as such, "foxes in boxes, etc: Borgetti, Elmander, Klasnic, N'gog, Sordell, Beckford etc,etc, of only Nicolas Anelka was really proficient in the role. SuperKev was always worth his place as either a striker or assist front man, but who really earned the title? Our goals of late come from a mish-mash of anywhere on the pitch men, but super strikers?
Some while ago I began writing an article on that very subject going back as far as Nat, but it were crap so it ended up never seeing the light. There have been very few 20 goal-a-season strikers though over the years.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:01 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:Eidur at 30 years old, I would agree. Eidur who has struggled in a poor league for the past three years will not. He was never a prolific goalscorer in his prime and that is what we need.
Struggled? Surely you jest, sir? :wink: 45 games for them with 5 goals and they finished 3rd in the Belgian league which I would suggest is probably on a par with The Championship
Pfffft.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:as good a thread title as this is
Harry, I knew you had an eye for class.
jaffka wrote:They way forward on match threads has already been decided.

this one is piss poor, defeat is certain
Where is that shaking the head emoticon!

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:25 pm

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:19 pm

5 goals in 45 at any level is not what we need. He can't have been that good or he would have been kept on

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:23 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:Eidur at 30 years old, I would agree. Eidur who has struggled in a poor league for the past three years will not. He was never a prolific goalscorer in his prime and that is what we need.

indeed... if "taking the piss out of this league" in his position DOESN'T mean scoring goals or laying them on for someone else - then I think we should look elsewhere given that we haven't got a shedload of cash to spare and we need goals...

any other kind of "taking the piss out of this league" I am not that interested in just now...

(others clearly have a different view..)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:23 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:5 goals in 45 at any level is not what we need. He can't have been that good or he would have been kept on
Well if it's eidur OR a goal scoring striker then it's no contest, but if we can add a class act with Mavies out, then great. I suspect we won't though.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Yesterday showed that, without Mavies, we are severely lacking creativity and Danns, Prats, Trotter, Spearing aren't going to offer that anytime soon. To start making competence into good we need a scorer and we need someone who can do something a bit different in the middle.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Spearing, criminal defending. Defender coming out to sort out the attacker with cover at left back for the ball through and he fetches him down.

Ah well,

7 points from 9 is better than 0.

Onwards and upwards. Bring on the next game.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:52 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:Spearing has to go. Spends all his time telling everyone where to go but does nothing himself. Goal was his fault
Really? I'd say that it was an appalling decision by the Ref coupled with an excellent free kick.
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:Spearing has to go. Spends all his time telling everyone where to go but does nothing himself. Goal was his fault
Really? I'd say that it was an appalling decision by the Ref coupled with an excellent free kick.
Lad was goal side and brought down, free kick any day of the week.

Free kick was excellent.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:55 pm

A point away from home but most importantly prevented one the teams in the relegation spots from getting all three.

These are the same players as under Duggie, the main difference being is that yesterday we came back from being a goal behind, that's something I don't think would have happened under Duggie.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I've watched that several times and agree entirely. A power-puff touch on a man just dying to go down. Spearing my be over ambitious at times, but he did nothing wrong there.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?