Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:What's Danny Wilson doing these days?
Trying to keep Chesterfield in League One. It's an interesting shout, but he's had a mixed few years. High points have included taking Hartlepool up (from the Fourth) and getting Sheffield United to the Third Division play-off final, but in the last 12 years he's been at Mk Dons (relegated to the Fourth), Hartlepool, Swindon, Blades and Barnsley and he's not stopped anywhere longer than two and half years.

One of the shitter news-churning websites has us "considering" Northampton's Chris Wilder. Done really well considering the financial weirdness there - they're 11 points clear atop League Two.
Now then! Chris Wilder,a good shout,even though I have a soft spot for Oxford,(lived there for 13 years)he did a very good job there,and left them when they were in a good position for promotion to take over at an almost certainly relegated Northampton,completely rejuvenated them and kept them in the Football League. Maybe a bit unknown but definitely worth a shout!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:46 pm

I'd be surprised if we go to the trouble of paying compo to persuade someone to come here. Someone with lower league experience who's currently out of work or contract is about to expire. Ironic that Megson, a ridiculous appointment at the time, would actually make sense now if we hadn't already been bedfellows.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:21 pm

For old times sake. Bruce Rioch. In reality, unless we can wipe the decks with the total crap overpaid wasters it doesn't matter. We will go down again next year. Youngsters not good enough. Seniors not interested. The likes of Davies madine etc need abuse until they walk. I've been appalled by the lack of passion this year. Got to show it in the last few games starting with madine. Both barrels

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:04 pm

Another possible to chuck in there: John Sheridan? Former Wanderer, although that's not too important to me personally. He seems to improve players. Also seems tactically flexible: played a back three at Argyle, and unlike some, did it well. And although the style of a manager's playing days don't always reflect in his teams - George Graham was an elegant, languid ball-player completely unlike the teams he managed – you'd hope he would encourage his teams to pass the ball like he did. I'd be interested in Plymouth Wanderer's take...

First job: Oldham, June 2006 to March 2009. Finished 6th (third tier), then 8th, then sacked after a to-do at a racecourse (they finished 10th).
Second job: Chesterfield, June 2009 to Aug 2012. Finished 8th (fourth tier), then 1st, then won JPT but were relegated in 22nd.
Third job: Plymouth, Jan 2013 to May 2015. In first half-season, he kept them up in the fourth tier (they were 23rd when he came) with top-eight form; second season, 10th; third season, 7th (play-offs); then resigned to go back up north.
Fourth job: Newport County, Oct 2015 to Jan 2016. Took them from bottom to 20th; during his three-month spell they were the division's 18th-best team. Left for...
Current job: Oldham again, Jan 2016 to date. They're still in the relegation zone but over his two months to date they are the division's 13th-best team.

Can't find any mention of his contract length. Keith Hill is contracted to summer 2018, as is Phil Brown. Chris Wilder signed a contract to summer 2017 when he joined Northampton, and I haven't found any evidence of an extension. Chesterfield wouldn't say how long Danny Wilson's contract was when they appointed him in December, just saying it was "beyond the end of the season". Neil Warnock's Rotherham contract is until the end of the season.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:17 am

I can't see beyond Warnock.

We could throw every cliche in the book at him, and many would be true, but right now I'm not convinced that the young-up-and-coming would suit us. The simple reason is we're now the big fish in the little pond. The pressure, I think, would be too great - Allardyce is an old bruiser and had ready made allies in the camp before he arrived, and we were floating around as flotsam in a higher league. It's really not the same scenario.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:29 am

Lord Kangana wrote:I can't see beyond Warnock.

We could throw every cliche in the book at him, and many would be true, but right now I'm not convinced that the young-up-and-coming would suit us. The simple reason is we're now the big fish in the little pond. The pressure, I think, would be too great - Allardyce is an old bruiser and had ready made allies in the camp before he arrived, and we were floating around as flotsam in a higher league. It's really not the same scenario.
We need experience, that is for sure. But there are plenty of experienced lower league managers. I'd not be opposed to Warnock but there are other options.

I would hope we're not looking at young-up and coming managers given our very recent history in that area.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:31 am

Nice as it would be to have Paddy Kenny back around the place, Warnock's recent jobs have been short-term firefights rather than rebuilds, and as far as I can see he hasn't managed in the third tier since the millennium.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:02 pm

How long a deal did Nobby Nolan get at Leyton Orient?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Nice as it would be to have Paddy Kenny back around the place, Warnock's recent jobs have been short-term firefights rather than rebuilds, and as far as I can see he hasn't managed in the third tier since the millennium.
I see this as exactly a short-term firefight to stop us tumbling another division. With little money, and let's be honest about this, plenty of people waiting for our fall from grace to be complete, a shameless, rhino-hided bastard like Warnock might just be the one to put his foot on the break.

I'm not aiming for anything but for the rot to be stopped here, and I'm worried that the pressure for next season is for us to bounce straight back. I don't see that as realistic unless it's Allardyce-like. Which is not an everyday phenomenon. Like HG said, Megson came to us in the wrong decade.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:How long a deal did Nobby Nolan get at Leyton Orient?
Until summer 2018.
Lord Kangana wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Nice as it would be to have Paddy Kenny back around the place, Warnock's recent jobs have been short-term firefights rather than rebuilds, and as far as I can see he hasn't managed in the third tier since the millennium.
I see this as exactly a short-term firefight to stop us tumbling another division. With little money, and let's be honest about this, plenty of people waiting for our fall from grace to be complete, a shameless, rhino-hided bastard like Warnock might just be the one to put his foot on the break.

I'm not aiming for anything but for the rot to be stopped here, and I'm worried that the pressure for next season is for us to bounce straight back. I don't see that as realistic unless it's Allardyce-like. Which is not an everyday phenomenon. Like HG said, Megson came to us in the wrong decade.
I understand your point of view (except the Megson thing: he'd be a tw@t in any division). I just don't think Warnock is the right bloke to rebuild. We need a manager – and CEO – who will be thinking long-term.

Given the finances, I'm not sure there's *that* much pressure for us to bounce straight back. I honestly don't know where we'll finish – I don't think many of us do. But I don't think we necessarily need a Second Coming in order to be in with a chance of the play-offs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:How long a deal did Nobby Nolan get at Leyton Orient?
Until summer 2018.
Lord Kangana wrote:

I understand your point of view (except the Megson thing: he'd be a tw@t in any division). I just don't think Warnock is the right bloke to rebuild. We need a manager – and CEO – who will be thinking long-term.

Given the finances, I'm not sure there's *that* much pressure for us to bounce straight back. I honestly don't know where we'll finish – I don't think many of us do. But I don't think we necessarily need a Second Coming in order to be in with a chance of the play-offs.

Think there is a balance to be struck here. I sort of think Warnock was needed this season. Suspect we'd have a decent chance of scraping survival if he'd been in charge.

But next season, whilst I think will be a struggle, we also need to rebuild around younger and cheaper players. I'm not convinced Warnock is the man for that particularly. It is also important we have someone to build something for a decent length of time to avoid the continual cost of changes. Therefore someone Holdsworth/Anderson trust and can work with long term, even if the event of things going badly for periods. Warnock tends to fall out with people fairly readily. He also isn't really a longer term option.

We do need experience though and someone who brings some much needed character back.

More I think about it the harder I struggle to see past Phil Brown. I suppose it is because I haven't followed league one and 2 over the years and am just not as aware of the experienced heads down there who have done similar jobs and might be suitable.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:More I think about it the harder I struggle to see past Phil Brown. I suppose it is because I haven't followed league one and 2 over the years and am just not as aware of the experienced heads down there who have done similar jobs and might be suitable.
A list of past League One Managers of the Month might not be a bad start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_ ... _the_Month" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I honestly don't know where we'll finish – I don't think many of us do.
I'd appreciate you putting me in touch with them as what do.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Enoch wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I honestly don't know where we'll finish – I don't think many of us do.
I'd appreciate you putting me in touch with them as what do.
I'll keep an eye out. They'll be along.
BWFC_Insane wrote:More I think about it the harder I struggle to see past Phil Brown. I suppose it is because I haven't followed league one and 2 over the years and am just not as aware of the experienced heads down there who have done similar jobs and might be suitable.
A list of past League One Managers of the Month might not be a bad start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_ ... _the_Month" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A quick perusal of that lot doesn't yield much. In terms of unemployed gaffers, you've got Chris Powell and Uwe Rosler on the young-and-relatively-unproven side, then you're into people like Steve Cotterill, Dave Jones and Ronnie Moore.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Ronnie Moore? That's a no from me
Pfffft.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:42 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Ronnie Moore? That's a no from me

but, Ronnie Pickering??? :oyea:

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:17 pm

I'd be happy with Nigel Adkins and I think he'd suit working with a talented young squad next year.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:29 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:I'd be happy with Nigel Adkins and I think he'd suit working with a talented young squad next year.
He needs to be suited to working with overpaid, under performing and fragile if coming to us. We've a couple of promising youngsters, but in no way would our squad be described as you have done so.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:33 pm

What have we to offer to him that Sheffield United haven't?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:57 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:What have we to offer to him that Sheffield United haven't?
A job, if they don't go up. They've shunted everyone else who failed.

But seriously, it's a good question. You said yesterday we were the big fish, but I wouldn't be surprised if our attendances aren't in the top six.