Time Cheltenham men please....At HomeV,Cheltenham at the completely Bolton Stadium Sat 4th feb 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Time Cheltenham men please....At HomeV,Cheltenham at the completely Bolton Stadium Sat 4th feb 3-0'clock.

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:50 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:48 pm
F*ck me. We did win today, didn't we? Looked like we did to me, but seeing the posts on here, I must have been mistaken!
Yes, thanks to Sonic's kettle again.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Time Cheltenham men please....At HomeV,Cheltenham at the completely Bolton Stadium Sat 4th feb 3-0'clock.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:11 pm

Bristol Rovers, Burton and now Cheltenham. Teams who have come here with little interest in playing football. Time wasting from the off, faking head injuries whenever we were starting to dominate. Horrible and frustrating.

It didn't help that we were at our most pedestrian, giving them too much time to get all 11 back into their own half and then being unable to break through. It needed someone to get a shot off and thank God for Dempseys great effort.

Poor day but 3 points. We move on.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:19 pm

It might sound perverse but I quite enjoy it when the opposition come to sit in and frustrate us. It feels good for teams to be fearful of us again.

Granted, it's much easier to feel like that after a win, but nevertheless.

It's also pleasing to see us maintin our winning habit. We'd all prefer us to score more but as long as we keep winning I don't really care.

Now, how do we solve the right wing-back conundrum for the next two matches?

Isgrove coming straight feels as though it's the easiest option to me.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:20 pm

Oh, and another thing, it was very nice to spoil Wade Elliott's day after his bitter shennanigans today and in the build up. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:33 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:19 pm
It might sound perverse but I quite enjoy it when the opposition come to sit in and frustrate us. It feels good for teams to be fearful of us again.

It's also pleasing to see us maintin our winning habit. We'd all prefer us to score more but as long as we keep winning I don't really care.

There are no good options for next week especially. Isgrove in from the cold leaves us very exposed at wing back both sides away at a good side.

Jones is the obvious one but that throws Mbete in away from home at a tough physical side.

Randell Williams probably is the pick if his hamstring is ok by then. But would need replacing after an hour or so.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:33 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:19 pm

There are no good options for next week especially. Isgrove in from the cold leaves us very exposed at wing back both sides away at a good side.

Jones is the obvious one but that throws Mbete in away from home at a tough physical side.

Randell Williams probably is the pick if his hamstring is ok by then. But would need replacing after an hour or so.

I was assuming he was out injured as, apart from his work rate, I don't have a high opinion of Isgrove's ability.

If he's not, though, then I agree Williams would be the best option.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:42 pm

John will probably show up next week, in a more open game and against a team he will feel worthy of him breaking out of a slow jog.

Frees Williams up to play right.

Personally I'd have Williams and Mbete come in. But then I'm still pissed off. I might feel differently tomorrow.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:45 pm

Dare I say we're finally finding ways of winning what could and possible have been a draw or defeat today?

I'm over the moon we got the 3 points today because, with the injuries/suspensions, we're doing more than okay. I really think we've got a good group of players and an excellent spirit. We're kicking on and getting on with it, no feeling sorry for ourselves. Got to admire that through adversity we've had so many wins and that we've conceded only a few goals.

I know they have games in hand however if Derby are in striking distance of the top 2 then we're not far behind. Let's not forget that!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:48 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:42 pm
John will probably show up next week, in a more open game and against a team he will feel worthy of him breaking out of a slow jog.

Personally I'd have Williams and Mbete come in. But then I'm still pissed off. I might feel differently tomorrow.
John has played how many minutes since the potential fallout?

He needs games to get back into the swing of it. Impact sub to starter is going to take a fair few games.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:49 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:45 pm
Dare I say we're finally finding ways of winning what could and possible have been a draw or defeat today?

I'm over the moon we got the 3 points today because, with the injuries/suspensions, we're doing more than okay. I really think we've got a good group of players and an excellent spirit. We're kicking on and getting on with it, no feeling sorry for ourselves. Got to admire that through adversity we've had so many wins and that we've conceded only a few goals.

I know they have games in hand however if Derby are in striking distance of the top 2 then we're not far behind. Let's not forget that!
On top of that if Wednesday and Derby go up in autos as others are suggesting then I think any of the rest are beatable. And we owe ipswich. A play offs without Derby would be very open.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:50 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:48 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:42 pm

John has played how many minutes since the potential fallout?

He needs games to get back into the swing of it. Impact sub to starter is going to take a fair few games.
Ghost is right though. It wasn’t a fitness issue. It was ‘why are you jogging and why are you stood watching this issue’.

He could have done more if he’d wanted to.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:55 pm

There's also the inconvenient fact that he's performed similarly before.

It'd be a big bonus for us if he improved to the point he was defensively reliable but I'm doubtful he will.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:09 pm

As Insane says, that wasn't fitness. Williams isn't fit either, but he worked hard.

Dec won't suffer for his mates, so sod him. He used to be worth carrying, because there was nobody close to his quality going forward that we could get in. No longer the case. Now he's just using up wages we could use on a player who can do both sides.

Like I say, he'll show up next weekend; because he'll fancy that one.

*edit* I should add, I generally dislike players who won't do the basic work and I may be less angry at him tomorrow.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:50 pm
Ghost is right though.
Thought I was hallucinating for a second there. Nearly fell off my unicorn.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:49 pm
On top of that if Wednesday and Derby go up in autos as others are suggesting then I think any of the rest are beatable. And we owe ipswich. A play offs without Derby would be very open.
I was thinking this tonight. Had Plymouth and Ipswich kept their pace then Wednesday and Derby would be very hard to match in the playoffs. But if they get promotion and the pre-Christmas top two have to drop in, I’d fancy our chances a lot more. Perversely, Derby/Wednesday’s form has given me hope this could be more of a Rioch season than a Neal.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:08 pm

Even easier if Derby or Sheff Wednesday miss out because we finish in the autos :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:08 pm
Even easier if Derby or Sheff Wednesday miss out because we finish in the autos :D
Heh. Well, yeah. But looking at trajectories, I’m not sure that’s happening.

Interesting to see how Plymouth and Ipswich react. All we can do is keep winning, and embed the new players, and see where we end up.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:17 pm

Interesting to see how Plymouth and Ipswich react. All we can do is keep winning, and embed the new players, and see where we end up.
It's a process, Next step is to kill of Posh's belief they can catch us by beating them to make it a 12 point gap.

If we can manage Calrke-Harris and do a similar job on their wide players to the one we did at Charlton (much harder with missing personnel) then we will win that one. We will score against them.

If we beat Peterborough then we can go into a home game before looking to kill off another threat.

That's the first round of things we need to do. Securing that play-off spot. IF we can manage that this month we can start to look up.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:57 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:33 pm
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:17 pm

It's a process, Next step is to kill of Posh's belief they can catch us by beating them to make it a 12 point gap.

If we can manage Calrke-Harris and do a similar job on their wide players to the one we did at Charlton (much harder with missing personnel) then we will win that one. We will score against them.

If we beat Peterborough then we can go into a home game before looking to kill off another threat.

That's the first round of things we need to do. Securing that play-off spot. IF we can manage that this month we can start to look up.
Yeah. You're right about the process - and I've been digging into the form numbers. Meet me over on the League One thread.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:45 am

Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:57 pm
Yeah. You're right about the process
The impossible often breaks down into smaller, entirely possible things and you sometimes only need to do *some* of those possible things (rather than all) to make the impossible happen. Or, you know, one game at a time :lol:

Let's see where we are by midnight on the 22nd.

Kill off Posh and Wycombe. Beat Accy. Would be an amazing month.