Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:01 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:37 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:18 am
Yeah but she still married you :mrgreen:
Always pay for the drinks, gentlemen...
My Missus was a champagne city girl :shock:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:11 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:01 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
And you gotta love the mark up they put on them bottles too!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:15 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:38 am
If the window slammed shut tomorrow I'd be underwhelmed, but it's barely started.

In that sense of course you're underwhelmed if you're judging the entire window on the work done by the start of July.

Sex would be pretty underwhelming if all you did was buy a woman a drink in a bar and then say goodnight.
We’ve got two keepers which is good. But beyond that the critical things like real quality in midfield and wingback and more goal scoring ability haven’t been addressed. So yes I won’t be underwhelmed when they are but as we go into our first pre season game the majority of areas requiring improvement have not been.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:17 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:11 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:01 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
And you gotta love the mark up they put on them bottles too!
I shudder to think what they cost now. The wholesale cost went through the roof in the last year. Even relatively bog standard stuff went up £50-£60 a case in one hit. Still sells though and not so much the cheaper stuff too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:27 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:15 am
But beyond that the critical things like real quality in midfield and wingback and more goal scoring ability haven’t been addressed.
I'm reposting this, in case IE reads the forum, because he might have missed it. :-)

Half a post. On the 'more goalscoring ability' none of Wilson/Baccus and Flick read as prolific individually, so I guess you're banking on others to be "more prolific?" with what they provide. Interested to understand where you reckon that's coming from? Bod, Vic, Demps?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:39 am

Pan Camara was very good for Plymouth… the fear they didn’t go up. But he’s the type a lot of fans have asked for. “Athletic.”

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:55 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:27 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:15 am
But beyond that the critical things like real quality in midfield and wingback and more goal scoring ability haven’t been addressed.
I'm reposting this, in case IE reads the forum, because he might have missed it. :-)

Half a post. On the 'more goalscoring ability' none of Wilson/Baccus and Flick read as prolific individually, so I guess you're banking on others to be "more prolific?" with what they provide. Interested to understand where you reckon that's coming from? Bod, Vic, Demps?
I think that I’m really suggesting we need that attacking midfield type (and a ratter Baccus type) to offer some goals from midfield.

For me we need to find that genuine attacking right wing back who has double figure assists or thereabouts a better all round midfield player who can win the ball back and a replacement for Lee who offers goals from advanced midfield areas.

I think that it’s unrealistic to expect us to sign another striker though I wouldn’t have signed Nlundulu personally.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:39 am
Pan Camara was very good for Plymouth… the fear they didn’t go up. But he’s the type a lot of fans have asked for. “Athletic.”
Athletic is nice and I'd welcome some of it. Not convinced ability to unlock defence isn't at least as important...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:07 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:58 am
Athletic is nice and I'd welcome some of it. Not convinced ability to unlock defence isn't at least as important...
An ability to win the ball back more quickly and more often and squeeze teams in would help with our ability to break sides down. For all the ‘find someone who can unlock defences talk’ half our problem is our midfield bar maybe Dempsey is pretty ineffective at dominating the game especially in transitional play. It’s why Evatt says we can’t cope with transitional games. But if we make our home games more transitional we will score more. But in order to do that we need more running strength in the midfield.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:07 am
Worthy4England wrote:
An ability to win the ball back more quickly and more often and squeeze teams in would help with our ability to break sides down. For all the ‘find someone who can unlock defences talk’ half our problem is our midfield bar maybe Dempsey is pretty ineffective at dominating the game especially in transitional play. It’s why Evatt says we can’t cope with transitional games. But if we make our home games more transitional we will score more. But in order to do that we need more running strength in the midfield.
Well, winning the ball back is certainly welcome, but if they then can't pick a half decent pass or keep turning it back over, not sure it's as effective. So, maybe a bit pushy of me, but I want them to be able to do both. That can obviously include a decent progressive ball, to someone who consequently has more time and can unlock the defence, rather than then necessarily doing it all themselves, but either way I think we need both in equal measure...I mean most of last year, the talk wasn't about what Bradley did in receipt of the ball, the gripe from many quarters was what happened next.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:19 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:07 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Well, winning the ball back is certainly welcome, but if they then can't pick a half decent pass or keep turning it back over, not sure it's as effective. So, maybe a bit pushy of me, but I want them to be able to do both. That can obviously include a decent progressive ball, to someone who consequently has more time and can unlock the defence, rather than then necessarily doing it all themselves, but either way I think we need both in equal measure...I mean most of last year, the talk wasn't about what Bradley did in receipt of the ball, the gripe from many quarters was what happened next.
Yeah both would be welcome for sure. But we desperately need to be able to as teams win the ball back and break win it back quickly and then attack quickly when they have numbers committed on their own break.

It would make teams easier to break down as it would cut off their options for getting out which would mean we could hold them in their defensive areas for longer periods.

For me a midfield player who likes to hit the damn thing when they have a sight of goal and can score goals in that 25 yard range plus finish well edge of the box sort of thing would make a significant difference.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:10 pm

For me we need a McAteer / Frandsen type - there must be affordable similar types out there ?, saying that does Evatt want that
type of player ?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:12 pm

Aye, that's what I figured, you're looking for. Athleticism, excellent tackling, good progressive ability and goals! But that's sorta where I was heading. Neither Baccus nor Flick are noted for their goalscoring...they're maybe 2 in a season types...maybe if this is a step down they marginally beat Demps/Morley/Sheehan for goals...

So I'm not sure we're getting the fella with all those attributes in one gift box.

@Bertie, apols was responding to Insano. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:12 pm
Aye, that's what I figured, you're looking for. Athleticism, excellent tackling, good progressive ability and goals! But that's sorta where I was heading. Neither Baccus nor Flick are noted for their goalscoring...they're maybe 2 in a season types...maybe if this is a step down they marginally beat Demps/Morley/Sheehan for goals...

So I'm not sure we're getting the fella with all those attributes in one gift box.

I’m talking two players though. A Baccus type. And an attacking mid Lee replacement. I don’t mean all in one.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:19 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

I’m talking two players though. A Baccus type. And an attacking mid Lee replacement. I don’t mean all in one.
I agree that we need 2 new quality midfielders of the type mentioned - a Baccus type & a McAteer / Frandsen type.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Ahh OK, so we're not 2 short then, we're at least 3? :-)

Are we playing 1 or 2 "forwards?" I'm sort of assuming 2, so Dion is going to need to match last season and "2" will need to come to the party.

We're going to improve 2 of the 3 from Demps' Morley and Sheehan (just sticking with what became our main three towards the end of the season)

And we need a much better RWB than Dacres-Cogley (I guess with a hope that Williams progresses plenty too)

Yeah, I can see your sense of panic!

@Bertie, Macateer was never really prolific, Frandsen more so, certainly first time around. So I see you're on 2, too. :-)

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:40 pm

Worthy, they don't need to be prolific for me - it's more about the athleticism, box to box, running with the ball & playing players in behind, goals would be a bonus especially from a few long shots.

With the bond & determination from the board to get top 2, I may be wrong but I really do think that the majority of supporters are expecting at least 1no marquee type midfield signing - not more lower league signings with potential.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Ahh OK, so we're not 2 short then, we're at least 3? :-)

Are we playing 1 or 2 "forwards?" I'm sort of assuming 2, so Dion is going to need to match last season and "2" will need to come to the party.

We're going to improve 2 of the 3 from Demps' Morley and Sheehan (just sticking with what became our main three towards the end of the season)

And we need a much better RWB than Dacres-Cogley (I guess with a hope that Williams progresses plenty too)

Yeah, I can see your sense of panic!

@Bertie, Macateer was never really prolific, Frandsen more so, certainly first time around. So I see you're on 2, too. :-)
I think we need an RWB a sort of mobile ball winning imposing midfield player and an attacking midfield player/number 10.

I think it’s pretty obvious with the players we let go that there are holes in two of those positions. Midfield is about really upgrading on an area where we saw the best teams really dominate against us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:31 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:40 pm
Worthy, they don't need to be prolific for me - it's more about the athleticism, box to box, running with the ball & playing players in behind, goals would be a bonus especially from a few long shots.

With the bond & determination from the board to get top 2, I may be wrong but I really do think that the majority of supporters are expecting at least 1no marquee type midfield signing - not more lower league signings with potential.
So if they're not scoring them and assuming Charles has a broadly consistent season (not a given) do you think we're good on scorers with what we have or need another? I'm not sure Charles has another 10 in him, and (for arguments sake because I reckon you could pick any of the three to drop out) a better 4-6 goal Morley would not add to our overall goal tally directly, so they have to come from elsewhere...

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:55 pm

That to me leaves us weaker than last season and we need to be stronger with better players in key areas.

I don’t think that it’s controversial to say this. Most fans seem to think the same.
Most? If we assume we average 18,000 a game, you've heard it from at least 9,001 that they are underwhelmed have you?

And, as others have pointed out, we're still 4 weeks away from the start of the season...