The Munich match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:04 pm

FD wrote:
americantrotter wrote:God, I hope Nolan is back to form.
On the last two games he is, but he needs to keep it up.

Our midfield 3 needs to be Nolan, Ando and Guthrie. That would be just bliss.
It sounds nice, but with the current state of our defence, don't we need someone a bit more, you know, defensively minded?
Who'd play the holding role, for instance?
Although if Andranik could manage it...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:04 pm

Boy am I going to give it to those Mancs tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Absolutely great result against a real class team and on their backyard. Nolan played like he can and his control for Davo's goal was immense. Great finish by big Kev but oh, what a pity he was a foot wide with the other. All in all one proud Tango here. COME ON THE MIGHTY WHITES :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:07 pm

Could have been three or four with Ribery still on the pitch, so a big thanks to Hitzfeld! Although credit to our lads, kept in there when heads could have dropped, great result.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

BoltonFan1983
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BoltonFan1983 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:Could have been three or four with Ribery still on the pitch, so a big thanks to Hitzfeld! Although credit to our lads, kept in there when heads could have dropped, great result.
Yeah, if i was a bayern fan, i'd really question why he'd do that? If they were up by 2-3, that makes sense, but a one goal lead? He didn't respect Bolton, despite all the jibberish he kept on saying about respecting Bolton, but good thing we stuck it to him!

COME ON WHITES
"One year I played 15 months" - Beckenbauer Franz

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:09 pm

Proud to be a Wanderer! I think Megson's served his apprenticeship too. A little more respect for him all round, I think.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:09 pm

norm the jedi wrote:
FD wrote:
norm the jedi wrote:woot.... woot....

unfair on Braaten and El Cid...

14 heroes there.....
Why? If we had a proper left back and a better "striker" we may have won this. I repeat, if they cannot turn up for THIS game, when will they?
Braaten instrumental in first goal and worked his arse off for little reward Cid was limited.. like this is news? but never hid and got stuck in.. and has played worse.. and if Ribbery stayed on whoever was left back we'd have got belted...
I'm with you on this one Norm..:-) All heroes out there (including the gaffer)...good result, we could do with a win at home in the next one and hopefully the final one at Belgrade will be anelephant...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:10 pm

hoboh2o

take a detention and write, 100 times ... "I'm a prick".

Then nyou're grounded for 1 week/
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:10 pm

14 heroes there.....
Indeed, how anyone could fault any of them i have no idea. Braaten set up a goal, held it up well and did everything he was asked to do, atleast with him on we have some kind of counter attack, and he did force them back with his pace. Cid i thought did well, he's Cafu when compared to Samuels, we could've had Gardner, Hunt, JOB, Samuels and Sinclair on Ribery and he'd have still torn us apart.

Excellent result, now we need to build on it. This should be the start of our season.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
norm the jedi wrote:
FD wrote:

14 heroes there.....
Why? If we had a proper left back and a better "striker" we may have won this. I repeat, if they cannot turn up for THIS game, when will they?
Braaten instrumental in first goal and worked his arse off for little reward Cid was limited.. like this is news? but never hid and got stuck in.. and has played worse.. and if Ribbery stayed on whoever was left back we'd have got belted...
I'm with you on this one Norm..:-) All heroes out there (including the gaffer)...good result, we could do with a win at home in the next one and hopefully the final one at Belgrade will be anelephant...
my 14th hero was the ginger minger... still far from convinced the futrue is Orange.. but fair do's tis a game of results and this one was MAHHOOOOSIVE.......... Gettin...
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

palexjones
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palexjones » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Not seen Nolan play that well for 18 months - that display makes the future look brighter
Thats the best I have seen us play in europe .
Cannot knock any of the players Ribery would be a handfull for any team, any defence - what a player
Bring on boro
WHOPPEEEEE

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:20 pm

Nice :-)

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wonka » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:21 pm

Absolutely fantastic result!

Just wish Davo had scored his earlier chance, but you can't have it all.... let's not forget we were crippled by injuries tonight.

Thought Ribery ripped Cid apart, but fair dos, Ribery would have murdered ANY Left back tonight, the guy is immense.

The way we've played in the last couple of games it's hard to believe we're still in the relegation zone. If we can keep it up for the rest of the season we'll soon be back in the top half of the table.
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:25 pm

HEROES!!! Every damn one of them!! :pray: :pray: :pray:

I haven't seen a more determined a gutsy performance like that since the 1-0 away win a Portsmouth.

Al Habsi - 8/10 Some good saves followed by a save he had no human right to make. Get him drug tested!! A little flappy on a couple of crosses, but had a very assured and mature performance.

Cid - 7/10 Suprisingly good at left back, and ran himself into the ground. Tried to get forward and support the attack when we were chasing the game too.

Lubo 8/10 Meite should be shitting himself after watching this guy tonight. Unlucky not to score with a sixty yard rocket!

O'Brien 9/10 Ladies and Gents, the next Gudni has finally arrived! Any other game he would have walked MOTM, but this was not any other game.

McCann 8/10 Looked really out of place at right back but battled on. Put in an excellent performance when switched into the centre.

Gardner 8/10 CAP's is going to be fxcking milking this for weeks!!!! I say no more.

Alonso 6/10 Determined and eager, but just couldn't get into the game.

Guthrie 7/10 Thought he drifted in and out of the game. Yet has the ability to make some fantastic passes. Wants every ball and keen to make things happen. If you do nothing else in January Meg's, SIGN THIS LAD!!!

Nolan 8/10 At last we look like we have the Nobby of old making his long awaited return. A real Captains performance capped off with his determination leading to Davo's equaliser.

SKD 9/10 MOTM Given the dawnting task of leading the line alone, with a referee determined to give him nothing all night, but bleedin ell did he do it well! Alone against one of the best defences in the world, in their back yard and had them whinning to the ref because they couldn't handle him! Then goes and scores the goal that will be remembered forever!

Braaten 7/10 A very workman like performance, but got back well to help out the defence time and time again.

Manager:

10/10 - I'll tell you what! Uber defensive? A hell of a lot of Managers trailing 2-1 in Munich would have kept the formation, hoping to get a set piece, but with 20 mins to go, Megson changes it to 4-4-2 intructing them to go for it. The fruits of which is in the scoreline. Made an excellent decision to move the struggling McCann into the centre changing him with Gardner and had the lads foaming at the mouth from the first minute to the last. I think it's fair to say we will not have the opportunity to play a team like Munich at their ground for quite a while, so if nothing else, he will always be remembered for tonight.

Relegation???

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!!!!!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:26 pm

wonka wrote:Absolutely fantastic result!

Just wish Davo had scored his earlier chance, but you can't have it all.... let's not forget we were crippled by injuries tonight.

Thought Ribery ripped Cid apart, but fair dos, Ribery would have murdered ANY Left back tonight, the guy is immense.

The way we've played in the last couple of games it's hard to believe we're still in the relegation zone. If we can keep it up for the rest of the season we'll soon be back in the top half of the table.
IF we can keep it up! But yes. Three points on Sunday, and things will start to look that little bit better....
And, hopefully, we'll have Anelka and Diouf back by then.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:27 pm

BoltonFan1983 wrote: Also, the ref and linesmen SUCKED ... the last sequence, Andranik gives a great throughball to Stelios who was going deep into the box and the linesmen calld a phantom offside call, that pissed me off the most cause we could have cuased great trouble there
Same old script. Treatment was no different to the treatment we get against the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, etc. The referee's treatment of Kevin Davies after the opening twenty minutes was disgraceful. He completely took away the most attacking threat we had.

Cracking result though. Nolan getting back to what he does best.

So nice to see Gardner cracking one in!!! woo!!!!

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:28 pm

STIIIIIICK YOU'RE RIBERY UP YOU'RE ARRRRRRRSE.......STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK YOU'RE RIBEEEEERY UP YOU'RE ARRRRRRRRSE!!!!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Image

Nice :-)
That photograph is just magnificent. Makes me feel so damn proud.

Forgot to mention earlier, special mention for Al Habsi, thought he did well and made two incredible saves, give him some more games please.

Amazing, Gardner not scored in ... is it 5 years? Davo not scoring, they both get one.

Megson, you did a fecking superb job tonight sunshine, got it all spot on (given our defensive injuries) and I'd hope that from this performance, Ando gets more of a look in, Nolan STAYS in centre midfield with the freedom he enjoyed tonight and Lubolik Michalik gets ahead of Meite in the centre of defence
Last edited by FD on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:42 pm

What a performance. As far as I'm concerned, each one of those players has earned themselves a starting spot on Sunday. Fantastic save from Ribery before he went off from Al-Habsi - the only player that we really missed was Anelka, who would have surely converted Davo's chance but I thought we functioned very well in midfield and Gardner was surprisingly efficient at right back in the second half.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:43 pm

Outstanding. A few wins in the league off the back of that performance and we'll be right as rain. Doesn't mean I'm suddenly a Gartside fan, but tonight's not the night for that.

Great goals, great work rate, looked a team. Al Habsi MOTM for me, a real test given his relative inexperience and he came through it with flying colours.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:43 pm

What they are saying on Munichs site (sorry if already posted)

http://www.fcbayern.t-com.de/en/news/ma ... 5edf5a45d4