Wigan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Wigan

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:42 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote: I would say at this stage, I'm not a football fan - no BWFC, no interest for me
About sums it up for me. I watch the internationals and that's about my interest beyond the Whites.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:46 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
LeverEnd wrote: I'm 38 Bruce so I'd say younger than me
I'm 36 and whilst I enjoyed being in the Premier League nothing will ever compare to watching us under Neal, Rioch and Todd because it was a completely different feeling in the club back then
I'm 47, LeverEnd. My first game was against Notts County in 74 when I was 8 (Jimmy Armfield's last game in charge) in the league that we're in now. We then had two years of just missing out on promotion, then promotion, then two years in the First Div, then near terminal decline. As such, and as we all know we then spent the period 83 - 95 as 'associate members'. My first away trips were to places like Fellows Park, Sincil Bank, Belle Vue and so on, so it's been some journey between The Feethams and Stade Vélodrome. Whereas I perfectly understand Frazier's 'Premier League or nowhere' point of view, and as much as I enjoyed the run in the Premier League, I'm absolutely where TKIZ is on this one. For me, supporting BWFC has never felt as good as it did under Rioch and Todd when there was an unbelievable feeling of unity between fans, players and management, and an unshakable belief shared by all . I'd say that Hull away epitomised that far more than a few words from me ever could. So I think that where the club was at and at what point in your life tends to form supporters' opinions and expectations of the club.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:47 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote: I would say at this stage, I'm not a football fan - no BWFC, no interest for me

that's how it's always been for me - i very rarely watch football that doesn't feature bolton.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:52 pm

thebish wrote:

that's how it's always been for me - i very rarely watch football that doesn't feature bolton.
Indeed. It's all to do with emotional investment really. I'll have footy on for the sake of it, but I'm not really watching it as such.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:54 pm

nowt to do with us - so forgive me - but the BBC ticker has this:
Cardiff defender Kevin Theophile-Catherine may get a bit excited later on, as Theo Walcott is back on the Arsenal bench. He just loves Theos. Loves 'em
a wordsmith there!! :D

also - Nolly makes his 350th Premier league appearance today...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
LeverEnd wrote: I'm 38 Bruce so I'd say younger than me
I'm 36 and whilst I enjoyed being in the Premier League nothing will ever compare to watching us under Neal, Rioch and Todd because it was a completely different feeling in the club back then
I'm 47, LeverEnd. My first game was against Notts County in 74 when I was 8 (Jimmy Armfield's last game in charge) in the league that we're in now. We then had two years of just missing out on promotion, then promotion, then two years in the First Div, then near terminal decline. As such, and as we all know we then spent the period 83 - 95 as 'associate members'. My first away trips were to places like Fellows Park, Sincil Bank, Belle Vue and so on, so it's been some journey between The Feethams and Stade Vélodrome. Whereas I perfectly understand Frazier's 'Premier League or nowhere' point of view, and as much as I enjoyed the run in the Premier League, I'm absolutely where TKIZ is on this one. For me, supporting BWFC has never felt as good as it did under Rioch and Todd when there was an unbelievable feeling of unity between fans, players and management, and an unshakable belief shared by all . I'd say that Hull away epitomised that far more than a few words from me ever could. So I think that where the club was at and at what point in your life tends to form supporters' opinions and expectations of the club.
I'll join this queue with Zico and Bruce. For the record, I'm 39.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:40 pm

Yes I'm with you too bros. :oyea:

I meant I guessed SF was younger than my 38 years Bruce by the way, I realised you had a few years on me.

I also agree with Capslock about the fair weather lot as well. My mate stopped going when we were in the Prem for various reasons but one that he always brings up is seeing, as he put it, 'little shits ignoring the football and then queuing up for Michael Owen's autograph'.
It's nice to have a full house but that sort of thing does grate.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Im also 38 and attended my first game as a 4yr old and had a season ticket ever since. Im a bit sad as Im a bit football mad and will watch any game thats on although I am only passionate about our matches and the odd international. Ive got to agree with TKIZ in that the most enjoyment I had was watching the Rioch era, stood on the Burnden Terrace. At that time it made you feel part of the club and every match made you feel you could influence the team with your shouts. Now I have to admit that some games just feel like a chore to attend although I still do. The club has lost its closeness with the fans and with it some of the passion. I dont know if its how the whole of football has progressed in general or whether its the Reebok itself. I now take my son to the matches (he's just turned 7 and his first game was when he was 4 and we battered Newcastle 5-1 (i think that was the score). He loves going and loves the Wanderers but I do wish he could have stood watching on the Burnden Terrace, it would have been a new level for excitement and enjoyment for him.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:15 pm

19 years old here who's first game was Arsenal away in September of 2001. We drew 1-1 with Rickets scoring I think it was set up by Gardner.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:08 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:19 years old here who's first game was Arsenal away in September of 2001. We drew 1-1 with Rickets scoring I think it was set up by Gardner.
I went to that. wasn't Ricky sent off for pulling Bergkamp back?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:52 pm

Nobhead has gone
Sto ut Serviam

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Interestingly, it was because of results. What a bunch of morons, eh?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:01 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Interestingly, it was because of results. What a bunch of morons, eh?
Was it?

It was cos of all sorts of things, one of them being results
Sto ut Serviam

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Has he been sacked? There's nowt on BBC :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Has he been sacked? There's nowt on BBC :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Aye, he's gone. Not on Sky yet either but Newsnow are carrying it.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:09 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Interestingly, it was because of results. What a bunch of morons, eh?
Was it?

It was cos of all sorts of things, one of them being results

Yeah. But it wasn't though.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:11 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... le-2874263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It appears so. Would this be Nixon ??

Read this on a Wiggin Forum ;
Really no surprise if true.

Criticising inherited players, having a go at the fans, players walking out, baffling tactics, constantly rotating players, players playing out of position, not playing to their strengths, general lack of fitness, 1 away goal in 4 months, need we go on.

There was no way DW would have let him spend any more money in January, though I thought he'd get till the end of December to prove him otherwise, however clearly today's game and post match comments have made him realise there was no need to delay the inevitable.

Read more: http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/fo ... z2mGfX4jTW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:11 pm

Blimey - talk about Sack Sunday

I was kinda hoping he'd bugger em up for a few more weeks yet, but I guess we're saved the possible humiliation of us getting trounced by a Coyle side

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:18 pm

if it's true , then jesus christ thats a fast turn around. he fecked it up in four months.

i say "fecked it up" , i mean, continued what martinez did, but faster.