Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:47 pm

Still enjoying the proximity of "The end result is what matters and being in that top 2" and "we won't know that till August and maybe even beyond"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:52 pm
The bottom line is that it doesn't really matter to anyone who we sign or don't. The end result is what matters and being in that top 2. What is being questioned is more whether the approach taken is the right one or not. And whilst we won't know that till August and maybe even beyond that there isn't much else to do over the summer than discuss it.

If we unveil a host of established top players and storm the league then nobody will be unhappy at all.

But there aren't any excuses this season. It purely comes down to how good a manager Evatt is and his judgement. That's what determines where we finish.
Na, you're wrong here.

We do need to go up. That's the aim, but it's not all that matters.

If that was all Evatt was thinking about then he would be a bad manager and Markham would also be bad at his job.

We are looking to spend money and we can't spend it twice. If we go up and then have to immediately replace the players we've just signed in order to stay up, that's a transfer failure. Previously it wasn't as much of an issue, as we were signing frees. When you spend a decent fee it has to have longer than a 12 months impact.

Likewise you can suffer a raft of injuries and other issues that can derail even the best sides, or you can hit a market that doesn't offer you what you need.

By your reasoning Jurgen Klopp is a bad manager with bad judgement, because he's just had a bad season. He's not, because there were various factors at play. He has failed this season, but remains a good manager.

Evatt needs to get us up and also produce a squad that can offer us a platform to build on in the Championship. Every player we spend money on this summer needs to still be important next summer a division up, because we can't afford to go again in positions we've just spent on - certainly not more than a couple, anyway.

Evatt's spoken enough times about clubs who go up in an unsustainable way. Playing the wrong football and signing the wrong types of players. He's right about it.
That’s a lot of words but ultimately all that matters is promotion. Simple as that.

This waffle about building better or needing a market that behaves…is wrong. Managers have to make things happen over a realistic timeframe. This is our third season in this league and the whole financial model has been built on promotion. The target has been clearly articulated multiple times.

I have no interest in ‘oh he’s a good manager but the league just didn’t fall into place or we were unlucky’ this is grown up sport. It’s about succeeding now. Nothing else.

If we fail this season there are no excuses. Make it happen or we will have to find someone who will.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:17 pm
That’s a lot of words but ultimately all that matters is promotion. Simple as that.

This waffle about building better or needing a market that behaves…is wrong. Managers have to make things happen over a realistic timeframe. This is our third season in this league and the whole financial model has been built on promotion. The target has been clearly articulated multiple times.

I have no interest in ‘oh he’s a good manager but the league just didn’t fall into place or we were unlucky’ this is grown up sport. It’s about succeeding now. Nothing else.

If we fail this season there are no excuses. Make it happen or we will have to find someone who will.
Like I said, dreadful manager that Jurgen Klopp. 5th place? He didn't make it happen. Get someone who will.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:33 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Like I said, dreadful manager that Jurgen Klopp. 5th place? He didn't make it happen. Get someone who will.
I’m really uninterested in Juergen Klopp and it has absolutely no bearing on where we are.

We’ve all said this is the season where the pressure is on to achieve. The best managers embrace this and deliver. Allardyce found a way inspite of having to sell his best players and having no money. The club was going out of business otherwise. He took that pressure on and knew he had to deliver.

That’s what is needed now. We’ve raised millions from the fans told them it’s automatic promotion and all is in place to deliver a team for that.

Evatt has admitted that pressure is there.

I’m not interested in excuses. Delivery is all that matters.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:52 pm
The bottom line is that it doesn't really matter to anyone who we sign or don't. The end result is what matters and being in that top 2. What is being questioned is more whether the approach taken is the right one or not. And whilst we won't know that till August and maybe even beyond that there isn't much else to do over the summer than discuss it.

If we unveil a host of established top players and storm the league then nobody will be unhappy at all.

But there aren't any excuses this season. It purely comes down to how good a manager Evatt is and his judgement. That's what determines where we finish.
Na, you're wrong here.

We do need to go up. That's the aim, but it's not all that matters.

If that was all Evatt was thinking about then he would be a bad manager and Markham would also be bad at his job.

We are looking to spend money and we can't spend it twice. If we go up and then have to immediately replace the players we've just signed in order to stay up, that's a transfer failure. Previously it wasn't as much of an issue, as we were signing frees. When you spend a decent fee it has to have longer than a 12 months impact.

Likewise you can suffer a raft of injuries and other issues that can derail even the best sides, or you can hit a market that doesn't offer you what you need.

By your reasoning Jurgen Klopp is a bad manager with bad judgement, because he's just had a bad season. He's not, because there were various factors at play. He has failed this season, but remains a good manager.

Evatt needs to get us up and also produce a squad that can offer us a platform to build on in the Championship. Every player we spend money on this summer needs to still be important next summer a division up, because we can't afford to go again in positions we've just spent on - certainly not more than a couple, anyway.

Evatt's spoken enough times about clubs who go up in an unsustainable way. Playing the wrong football and signing the wrong types of players. He's right about it.

Whilst there's been plenty of words about us wanting to hit the Champo and Evatt has said the same, and even quoted timeframes. You or I have very little if any view as to whether any of our financial models are predicated on it being a must have, this year. I'm not sure that props the conversation up...

I'm glad we've finally got to the sack Evatt clause, we don't usually get round to this until two games in. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:12 pm

^^It’s simply stating there are no excuses left. Last season was ‘we are a year behind Plymouth’. Now it’s about ‘oh the market might not fall in place’. It’s nonsense. A manager needs to deliver and the time is demonstrably now. The club needs to take the step up and it’s obviously baked into the financial plan given the way the bond is structured. And indeed Sharon has said clearly ‘no stone will be left unturned to achieve this’.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:12 pm
^^It’s simply stating there are no excuses left. Last season was ‘we are a year behind Plymouth’. Now it’s about ‘oh the market might not fall in place’. It’s nonsense. A manager needs to deliver and the time is demonstrably now. The club needs to take the step up and it’s obviously baked into the financial plan given the way the bond is structured. And indeed Sharon has said clearly ‘no stone will be left unturned to achieve this’.
Nobody is making excuses. There's no need to. Evatt has done a good job every season he's been here. He doesn't need excuses making for him. His job performance so far is excellent.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:20 pm

Considering it's such a nice month, July doesn't half drag.

Allardyce was good for the club. So it's a good job we didn't pot him when his teams bottled three semis in the same season at a point when the finances really could have done with us getting promotion.

Mind, I don't know why I'd bother asking for patience and time when the deciding factor on a season seems to be whether we're top 2 in August. Which feels suspiciously, and familiarly, like someone chipping away at the marble to make an I Told You So statue.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:12 pm
I suspect Sharon will judge that. She's already stated her intent with his 3 year contract in May. I suspect "just missing out" probably wouldn't get him sacked - but dunno...

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:20 pm

Allardyce was good for the club. So it's a good job we didn't pot him when his teams bottled three semis in the same season at a point when the finances really could have done with us getting promotion.

Mind, I don't know why I'd bother asking for patience and time when the deciding factor on a season seems to be whether we're top 2 in August. Which feels suspiciously, and familiarly, like someone chipping away at the marble to make an I Told You So statue.
No idea who you might be referring to there, mate... :mrgreen:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:23 pm
I suspect Sharon will judge that. She's already stated her intent with his 3 year contract in May. I suspect "just missing out" probably wouldn't get him sacked - but dunno...
Not having all your signings done by July 13th is currently a firing offence. Did you not get the memo? He's already on borrowed time.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:02 pm

Why are we prejudging a transfer window halfway through it?
Why are we prejudging promotion before we're halfway through preseason friendlies?

There is a lot of angst over what might or might not happen and what hasn't happened.
There is a lot of supposition as well.

What we do know is the plan is to get promoted and to strengthen the team and squad. Why don't we judge both once we know whether we've achieved them or not?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:05 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:02 pm
Why are we prejudging promotion before we're halfway through preseason friendlies?

There is a lot of angst over what might or might not happen and what hasn't happened.
There is a lot of supposition as well.

What we do know is the plan is to get promoted and to strengthen the team and squad. Why don't we judge both once we know whether we've achieved them or not?
Because it takes time to plan what colour paint is best for writing on your bedsheet!

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:42 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:02 pm
Most of us aren't. Its just a couple......

I for one, mind, will be at Chester at the weekend, looking forward to cheering on the team who achieved greatly last season, plus the new additions we've brought in.

I'll also be cheering on our manager, who has been wonderful for us based on recent history, without calling for him to be hung, drawn & quartered based on the fact he turned down 2 potential signings who none of us had heard of before, or that he has been unlucky enough to have one his best defenders ruled out through injury, or indeed the fact that he hasn't signed 3 championship standard players (on league 1 wages...) by the middle of July....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:46 pm

I'd say if any of our managers since Allardyce has earned respect, trust and patience, it's Evatt.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:57 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:20 pm

Well that was 6 months after he inherited us 6th bottom in the championship and in a complete state. So I think the circumstances were different, but next season he didn’t say ‘we’ve lost the whole squad and I’ve barely got a lettuce leaf to rub together’ he took on immense pressure and got us up because he knew he needed to.

Most of my frustration is not Evatt it’s this bizarre idea that suddenly has appeared that we shouldn’t judge him on an end result but just continually trust a process regardless of whether that is successful or not. This is a complete nonsense. And frankly no manager who has been successful would ever have that sort of grace afforded them.

Evatt knows there is big pressure this season. You have to embrace that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:09 pm

^^ Theres a point in the distance, and you're missing it.

I don't think people are not judging his performance this coming season. They just aren't doing it in July, half way through a transfer window and setting up the "I told you so, sack" on the chance we don't go up. If three champo level signings walked in tomorrow, we have no "right" to go up and there'll be 23 teams making sure it doesn't happen.

To your comparitor, didn't Evatt take us up in his first year, with a load of sub-par players signed by Phoenix Nights for the first half of it? Rather than saying we've got a load of sub part players and we genuinely didn't have much lettuce leaf...

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:18 pm

Isn't the time to judge Evatt at the end of the season? :conf:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:57 pm
Most of my frustration is not Evatt it’s this bizarre idea that suddenly has appeared that we shouldn’t judge him on an end result but just continually trust a process regardless of whether that is successful or not. This is a complete nonsense.
Nobody has said that, though.

The issue is that the end of this season isn't the end result Evatt is looking at, it is precisely one step in a process. The end result is Premier League football.

That's what Evatt is aiming for, not just getting out of League One. That means that transfer business in one window isn't just about that window - it's about 6, 12, 24 and 36 months down the line. You don't want heavy overlap of spending in that process, or you'll run out of money very quickly.

Clubs that sign lads "for League One" and go up tend to come straight back down to League One; because that's their level. Our aim is to sign players for the Championship, which will automatically give us a better shot at promotion anyway.

In order to get to the Prem we have to get out of League One first. That much is obvious. However, the money we spend has to have a continuing positive impact on the squad into that Championship campaign. That's worth taking your time over, especially when you're already able to put out a very good team for the level.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:09 pm
^^ Theres a point in the distance, and you're missing it.

I don't think people are not judging his performance this coming season. They just aren't doing it in July, half way through a transfer window and setting up the "I told you so, sack" on the chance we don't go up. If three champo level signings walked in tomorrow, we have no "right" to go up and there'll be 23 teams making sure it doesn't happen.
{/quote]

^^This, in a very large nutshell
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?