poll where are the people who think OC is any good

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Is Owen Coyle any good

Yes he's bob On.
10%
heck as like.
42%
S'not all his fault
48%

Total votes: 73

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: poll where are the people who think OC is any good

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 07, 2012 2:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Our last manager had a good record of getting sides promoted. So does Neil Warnock. Either of those would have given us a better chance of staying up this season too!
And their records of keeping them up? You know? The task in hand?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 07, 2012 2:39 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Theres absolutely nothing in either managers record to suggest anything of the sort.
Pretty arguable that, but both value dogged determination and fight over fancy wingers which is clearly what we needed this season!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Thats why I'm arguing it. I would have thought that to be self evident. Your "reckon" is neither here nor there, given that you've praised Wigan (prematurely) for sacking Martinez on here (which they then didn't) and told anyone who would listen how good a job Steve Kean is doing down the road.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Mon May 07, 2012 2:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
There are shades of grey to everything, I agree.

But ultimately do you WANT Coyle as manager or not?

That's the ultimate acid test.
which is another question..
On balance I think we are as well giving him a go at fixing it as we would be getting in a unknown to do feck knows what.. I don't think decent managers are exactly lying about and at least he has displayed the pedigree to get a broadly similar club to ourselves [historically] out of the Championship.. and if we get to October and we're still shite.. fair enough have another look..[/quote]
If you want him as manager you therefore must think he is good. Either that or think we are so small a club that we can only get shite to manage us, which is quite sad.

Our last manager had a good record of getting sides promoted. So does Neil Warnock. Either of those would have given us a better chance of staying up this season too![/quote]

See you just extrapolate in all directions to suit yer own point.. Clearly I don't think Owen COYLE on the basis of this season is Good.. Over his career - better , young potential to learn ya der ya der ya.. but saying we may as well stick as twist means I currently think he's good just isn't right.. I'd give him a chance cos I think there's enough about what he wants to do that's worth persevering with.. up to a point..
Our last manager is just a reprehensible human being.. he can win the champions league and he'll still be pond scum as far as I and a good number of fans at his litany of clubs are concerned..
Personal predjudice aside.. Warnock has a spectacular history of failure at prem level.. that's hilarious.. nowt more to say..
Coyle got a team promoted had a good first half of the season and then came to us because we were prepared to spend more than Burnley.. he had a rubbish first half of this season and then the sky pretty much fell in.. in all directions..
I'd give im the chance to build it back up again..
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 07, 2012 3:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
If I was running the club I'd tell him I never want to see him again and boot him and his useless backroom staff through the door, whilst simultaneously lifting the lid to the press on how clueless he and his staff were and how much of a balls up he's made with a club that's survived and more in the top flight for 11 years.

which isn't what you said earlier!!! you said you'd give him the first 10 games..

you can't claim so many I-told-you-so moments if what you've done is just hold both opinions!! :conf:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 07, 2012 3:31 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:He's incompetent & totally clueless - and shouldn't be allowed to manage a car boot sale never mind a championship / premiership football team

now you're just overcompensating!! it's a classic reaction!! :wink:

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon May 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Sorry but I'm in the heck no camp now. I dont think coyle is a great man manager nor is he able to make the most of limited resources and ultimately these are the most imortant things to hgave on your cv as a Bolton manager.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon May 07, 2012 4:00 pm

He's still a young manager, so I don't think he's completely beyond hope.

But, despite the fact I'd have loved it to work out for him here, it doesn't look like it's going to. This summer is going to be the biggest since Big Sam left and I don't trust him to get it right, regardless of the division.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 07, 2012 4:40 pm

the 3 options in the poll aren't adequate, tbh.

I wanted one which said "no, he's shite & he's been found out".

I appreciate that 'heck as like" sort of covers me, but it's far too insipid.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon May 07, 2012 4:53 pm

I think he originally did well for us. This season has been poor, yeah, but if we do go down, I don't want to see him sacked. We've been incredibly unlucky with injuries this year and we have a completely crippled midfield. Would we be anywhere near this position if we had Holden, Muamba, Chungy and Ricketts all season? I don't think so. They have been 4 major injuries for us. I think Holden and Chungy are our two best players and simply irreplaceable.

Bad season all round. When Coyle kept us up and played good football he wasn't a genius and if we go down this year, he's not terrible. He's somewhere in between.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon May 07, 2012 5:02 pm

17 out of 18 think he's partly to blame, even if some of you wimped out and went for the third option :wink:
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 pm

No manager in history is ever 'entirely to blame' for results. But he is the one who must carry the can.

It's the fact that he's got the most basic things wrong, such as 'what is required to keep a club in the premiership'. If we were organised and robust, and physical and athletic I'd possibly forgive him. But we are wimpy, and shambolic, and disorganised and weak.

Basics that separate reality from dreamland.

We needed a realist in charge someone who realised managing Bolton was shit, blood muck and nettles, especially when we are struggling. Instead we got fairy dust and magic sprinkles.....

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Mon May 07, 2012 6:35 pm

as i've said before- too early to tell. bootom six in BPL in December next season or not in top six in Championship
then yeah- the experiment has failed
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 07, 2012 6:42 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:as i've said before- too early to tell. bootom six in BPL in December next season or not in top six in Championship
then yeah- the experiment has failed
Surely you mean 'not in the top 2 of the championship'.
Owt short of that not good enough!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 07, 2012 6:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Basics that separate reality from dreamland.

We needed a realist in charge someone who realised managing Bolton was shit, blood muck and nettles, especially when we are struggling. Instead we got fairy dust and magic sprinkles.....
I'm now not really sure what you believe and what you don't...

today you have said you'd sack Coyle immediately and also that you'd give him 10 games in the championship..

you've also suggested your negativity is merely a superstitious jinx-avoidance tactic (that doesn't work)

but - given that you have said fairly loudly that Coyle is completely useless and a cancer in the club who makes shite and useless signings and that anyone would be better...

then why would you entrust the first ten games of a possible championship season and the transfer budget for a significant chunk of that season into Coyle's hands??

I'm baffled... surely the first ten games are quite important - and surely if relegation is a financial disaster - STAYING relegated is an even bigger one?

what's your thinking there??

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 07, 2012 6:47 pm

thebish wrote:

today you have said you'd sack Coyle immediately and also that you'd give him 10 games in the championship..

you've also suggested your negativity is merely a superstitious jinx-avoidance tactic (that doesn't work)

but - given that you have said fairly loudly that Coyle is completely useless and a cancer in the club who makes shite and useless signings and that anyone would be better...

then why would you entrust the first ten games of a possible championship season and the transfer budget for a significant chunk of that season into Coyle's hands??

I'm baffled... surely the first ten games are quite important - and surely if relegation is a financial disaster - STAYING relegated is an even bigger one?

I wouldn't but equally, I'm not running the club and given if we go down we will lose considerable money I can see why they would at THIS stage give him the early part of next season to show we were capable of going back up.

He's signed the squad so I can see given the loss of premiership money that E Davies would say 'let him get us out of this mess'

Which is why I'm not criticising him (Davies) or Gartside now. They should have got rid in November but they didn't and now well, should we go down I can see why they'd keep him given the financial restrictions we will be under.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Mon May 07, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Took me a long time to get there but I've lost all faith in him. Given the problems he has had though, and me being a bit of a softy, I went for option 3.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 07, 2012 7:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

I wouldn't
you quite clearly said you would!!

(is this now your final answer?)

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:25 pm

I am firmly in the must be fired from a cannon camp together with his chums, hopefully pointed in the direction of Scotland.

Some could see what was happening over a year ago. The biggest supposed attribute was Coyles motivational ability. It hasn't worked, if indeed it ever did, for over a year. There are some managers who you can see have the kernel of something worth sticking with even though their team may be struggling at a point. Coyle has used up all his excuses.

I believe that apart from the shite coaching/training and the astonishingly inept tactical decisions he may well now irritate the majority of the squad to such a degree that they are actually demotivated by a combination of that ineptitude and his happy clappy temperance loving attitude. Ah you say, but surely they are very well paid individuals who should put up with any amount of shit from a clueless tit. But no one else in another type of job would if they could see it was damaging their credibility with future employers. No, they would want to get out and move to another employer but they cant if they are tied into a term contract. So the only way for a footballer to protest if the idiots in charge do not wish to hear is to play poorly or feign injury. Perhaps. Sounds a bit far fetched but I would have said the current prospect was also far fetched only just over a year ago.

To those who say we wouldn't be in this position if we had CYL and Holden playing regularly, just ask yourself why both have been out for a season or more. Injuries caused by thoughtless selection in high risk friendlies or aggravated by being brought back too early after a hugely damaging injury. No satisfactory replacement signed in January for Holden despite NRC being the only available defensive midfielder Coyle seems to rate enough to play until he is broken too.

The whole team management set up is amateurish. If I didn't know differently it would be almost plausible to believe that the whole scenario had been deliberately planned to cut the cost base of the club in half ready for a quick return as a leaner meaner team.

We are going down and there will be no immediate happy return from a year in the Championship wilderness with this clown in charge.

sean_taylor1995
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by sean_taylor1995 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm

He has made a lot of mistakes this season & costly ones too. But he's still young and some of the things that have gone against us are unbelievable. I think he should have a stronger assistant manager with him, someone with experience & what coyle lacks - tactical nous. Not sandy stewart