Hamilton Accies Away 21st July. Pre Season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Re: Hamilton Accies Away 21st July. Pre Season

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:42 pm

And to wrap things up, there's an evening game against Falkirk on the 25th.

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/page/General/0,,1 ... 37,00.html

Caro-Kann
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caro-Kann » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
perthwhite wrote:for all those who come up for the hamilton game. the pies are shite, the ground is shite, the area is warzone and its a bastard of a place to find. Ayr's a good place to visit though.
Really? Last time I was there they had three sides of a new stadium up and it was a piece of piss to find - it's right behind Morrison's :conf:

I'll take you at your word on the pies though. ;)

Oh, and yes, Ayr's lovely.
I wouldn't say Hamilton's ground is that bad. It's also pretty easy to find, and public transport wise it's close to Hamilton West train station, sure though the supermarket is a Sainsburys. Perhaps Perthwhite got lost driving his tractor. :wink:
Ayr the town itself is nice but Somerset Park itself is a shite hole or has let's say got character, think you might enjoy it though.

There's Olympic football on at Hampden that week, best of the bunch probably Spain v Japan (men) on the Thu 26th.

perthwhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by perthwhite » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:50 pm

Caro-Kann wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
perthwhite wrote:for all those who come up for the hamilton game. the pies are shite, the ground is shite, the area is warzone and its a bastard of a place to find. Ayr's a good place to visit though.
Really? Last time I was there they had three sides of a new stadium up and it was a piece of piss to find - it's right behind Morrison's :conf:

I'll take you at your word on the pies though. ;)

Oh, and yes, Ayr's lovely.
I wouldn't say Hamilton's ground is that bad. It's also pretty easy to find, and public transport wise it's close to Hamilton West train station, sure though the supermarket is a Sainsburys. Perhaps Perthwhite got lost driving his tractor. :wink:
Ayr the town itself is nice but Somerset Park itself is a shite hole or has let's say got character, think you might enjoy it though.
bastard :D in all fairness, we got lost hence the reason for saying its difficult to find, im just not keen on football stadium that have two stands and some £4.99 garden furniture claiming to be the executive seats.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:17 pm

The Hamilton supermarket was definitely a Morrison's when I was there a couple of years ago. Cracking chippy not far from the ground as well.

Fair to say Ayr's ground has got 'character', proper old school effort though - nowt wrong with that.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:31 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:The Hamilton supermarket was definitely a Morrison's when I was there a couple of years ago. Cracking chippy not far from the ground as well.

Fair to say Ayr's ground has got 'character', proper old school effort though - nowt wrong with that.
Thanks, Matt - I could've sworn it was.

Yeah - Ayr's ground is proper old school but I also remember it being absolutely immaculate. Every bit like my nana and grandad's house used to be.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Caro-Kann
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caro-Kann » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:11 am

Leyther_Matt wrote:The Hamilton supermarket was definitely a Morrison's when I was there a couple of years ago. Cracking chippy not far from the ground as well.
Sorry, there's both a Morrisons and Sainsburys next to the NDP. You'd drive past the Morrisons on the way to NDP, the Sainsburys is in the retail park behind the ground next to Hamilton West train station.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:52 am

Football ground in a retail park?

I'll pass
Sto ut Serviam

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:21 am

I've been away for two weeks and don't do the internet on holiday but I got a text from my mate on Friday containing the good news.

I can catch the 201 from outside our house that'll have me at NDP in about 10 mins.

Chew on that!

Hamilton's a small place but for some reason it has some really REALLY good pubs and restaurants.

Ayr and Falkirk are also a doddle.

See you at all three!
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:24 am

On a trip to Asda Hamilton last night I did a wee recce.

Best prematch pub near ground - Academical Vault oppostie Hamilton West train station.

There are a few bars inside Glasgow Central, including (laughably) a Champagne bar but probably you're best walking the short distance to the Horseshoe Bar (birthplace of BWFCScotland) on Drury St (G2 5AE). It's a traditional boozer that has a 'world famous' karakoe where the regulars don't like anyone turning up and blowing them out of the water with a blistering rendition of Baby Come Back by the Equals.

£10 Adults, £5 concs.

How many do you think will come up for this?

Has it captured the imagination down there like it has in our house?

Oh yeah, if you are catching the train then make sure you catch the Larkhall train from the low level at Central to HAMILTON WEST and not Hamilton central.

'mon eh Whites!
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:50 am

An hour and 45 minutes to Hamilton West from Edinburgh, change at Partick. :shock:

Bloody third world country!

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:37 am

Little Green Man wrote:An hour and 45 minutes to Hamilton West from Edinburgh, change at Partick. :shock:

The Pope was right!

You could get the Virgin train to Motherwell and then dive on the bus. It only takes about 20mins (I did it a couple of weeks back - the 107 stops at the station and goes right past the ground).

The good thing about that is while Scotrail charge £15 return from EDB-GLC the Virgin train only cost £2 return!

Yes £2.00!

I couldnae believe it mesel'.

Mind you it did stop at Carstairs for an uncomfortable ammount of time.

big Yin/big yang.

http://www.travelinescotland.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

twitter @thetonycoffey

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:53 am

coffeymagic wrote:Mind you it did stop at Carstairs for an uncomfortable ammount of time.
Or Ramp, as it should be known...

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:01 am

Trains always stop at Carstairs for what seems like an eternity, to the extent that I'm now on nodding terms with the small herd of cattle that roams the fields to the west of the high security mental hospital.

Caro-Kann
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caro-Kann » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:58 pm

coffeymagic wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:An hour and 45 minutes to Hamilton West from Edinburgh, change at Partick. :shock:

The Pope was right!

You could get the Virgin train to Motherwell and then dive on the bus. It only takes about 20mins (I did it a couple of weeks back - the 107 stops at the station and goes right past the ground).

The good thing about that is while Scotrail charge £15 return from EDB-GLC the Virgin train only cost £2 return!

Yes £2.00!

I couldnae believe it mesel'.

Mind you it did stop at Carstairs for an uncomfortable ammount of time.

big Yin/big yang.

http://www.travelinescotland.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where did you see the £2 return fare and why would you get a bus to NDP from Motherwell Station when you could get a train to Hamilton West?

It's strange that the travel planners advise changing trains at Partick given you could get off at Argyle Street
and walk up to Queen Street and get one of the faster Edinburgh (via Falkirk High) trains.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Caro-Kann wrote:
coffeymagic wrote:

Where did you see the £2 return fare and why would you get a bus to NDP from Motherwell Station when you could get a train to Hamilton West?

It was a tangled web I was weaving.

We got the train from Motherwell because we were meeting friends there.

I got the bus from M'well to Hamilton because I was with someone who was catching that bus and I was in no rush.

The love bites were actually rope burns from a tarzan swing.

And I was naked from the waist down because a wasp flew down my shirt, squirmed past my belt and into my Bill Grundies.

It's strange that the travel planners advise changing trains at Partick given you could get off at Argyle Street
and walk up to Queen Street and get one of the faster Edinburgh (via Falkirk High) trains.
Well. In reality.

Waverley-Queen St.
Central (low level) to larkhall. Get off at HW.

The £2.00 fare was on the Virgin website.

This is getting complicated.

twitter @thetonycoffey

newcarsmell
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by newcarsmell » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:15 pm

For anyone interested here's Ayr United's new kit...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... d-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think I like the white one best !

BarnsleyFCFan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BarnsleyFCFan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi guys, I come in peace! I'm a Barnsley FC season ticket holder living in Hamilton. Just wondering if many of you were coming up for the game?

Any local info required feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Good luck with your Championship campaign(apart from against us of course) :D

darkwanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by darkwanderer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:34 pm

having family in hamilton, I visit often.. the ground is in between morrisons and sainsburys, depends where you get off to be honest. If you get off at Hamilton West there is a ramp type thing that leads you into a lane, keep walking the same direction you are facing when you're on the ramp and that takes you to the home turnstile I believe? The away ones are round the other side of the building. Quite looking forward to this game actually! Been told they have a small section that aren't interested in looking for trouble or anything but make a lot of noise when it's needed? Need to see it to believe it with how small their overall fanbase is.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:06 pm

darkwanderer wrote:having family in hamilton, I visit often.. the ground is in between morrisons and sainsburys, depends where you get off to be honest. If you get off at Hamilton West there is a ramp type thing that leads you into a lane, keep walking the same direction you are facing when you're on the ramp and that takes you to the home turnstile I believe? The away ones are round the other side of the building. Quite looking forward to this game actually! Been told they have a small section that aren't interested in looking for trouble or anything but make a lot of noise when it's needed? Need to see it to believe it with how small their overall fanbase is.
I went there watching Hibs a couple of years ago and Hamilton were comfortably outnumbered in a crowd of about 4,000.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

alpeters
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by alpeters » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:23 pm

we are all up on train change at preston l;eaves there at 8.30 ish glasgow for a few skips and in to hamilton
English By Birth Boltonion By the Grace Of God RIP The 33 9/3/1946