Game for the Poaching at Forest!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Wrighty92
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Forest Away

Post by Wrighty92 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Think because of hold up play, i'd rather see us start without Beckford and bring him on with 30 mins to go (either to catch them on the break if we're a goal up or holding on to a draw... or because we need a goal). Spearing and Medo along with Bogdan need to have a huge game and I can see us nicking it.

------------------- Bogdan -------------------------
--Baptiste ----- Knight - Wheater -------- Tierney --
---------------- Medo --- Spearing -----------------
------ Chungy ----- Pratley ----- Eagles ------------
--------------------- N'gog -------------------------

is the line up to go with for me

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Freedman said in so many words, he signed Beckford, a proven goalscorer, because he knows him well and believes he can manage him back to his pomp.

Dropping him after two games could well be the way to achieve that.

Wrighty92
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Wrighty92 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Enoch wrote:Freedman said in so many words, he signed Beckford, a proven goalscorer, because he knows him well and believes he can manage him back to his pomp.

Dropping him after two games could well be the way to achieve that.
Not a case of dropping him... more using him sensibly

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Eagles picked up an ankle injury on the opening day of the season and is currently wearing a protective boot that will be removed in midweek.

Freedman hopes that will put his playmaker back on the road to recovery – but hinted that the City Ground trip could come too soon.

“I can’t risk pushing him too much,” said the Scot. “Another few days in that boot and he’ll be better for it. I know people want to see him back in the team but we’ll just put it down to one of my strange decisions that people criticise and hopefully it comes okay in the end.”
“I will always try and work with strikers who have got movement,” he said. “You cannot defend against it.

“I felt a bit frustrated for Jermaine. He knows where I am coming from. We had a little nod to each other after the game because he had some top movement.

“Once David Ngog and Chung-Yong Lee see that movement and I get to work with it a bit longer then we will feed a few more passes through to him. If you think his movement is good, just wait until you see his finishing. It's just a matter of time before Jermaine gets that service he deserves."

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Enoch wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
Enoch wrote:In the wake of such beauties as 'The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread', 'The Taming of the Shrews? Capital One Cup 6/8' and dare I say, 'Kick off with a glass or two of claret!'. What happens?

'Reading'! 'Forest Away'!!!

I was hoping at least for 'Prince of thieves, a chance to steal three points down Nottingham way.'

Or somesuch.
Sorry Enoch. That was my title (honest :mrgreen: )but it doesn't fit unfortunately 8) To many characters :P
So what, you give in???

Put some bloody effort in!!

How about "Everything Medo, Medo it for you"?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:26 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Enoch wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
Enoch wrote:In the wake of such beauties as 'The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread', 'The Taming of the Shrews? Capital One Cup 6/8' and dare I say, 'Kick off with a glass or two of claret!'. What happens?

I was hoping at least for 'Prince of thieves, a chance to steal three points down Nottingham way.'

Or somesuch.
Sorry Enoch. That was my title (honest :mrgreen: )but it doesn't fit unfortunately 8) To many characters :P
So what, you give in???Put some bloody effort in!!

Impressive for sure, I'm just struggling to see where the Sheriff fits in though! Do you think he would wear a shiny star and a big hat?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Andy Waller wrote:How about "Everything Medo, Medo it for you"?
Thought it was pronounced meadow - a contraction-and-extension of Mohammed?

As for the game - I'd keep Medo (however he's pronounced) and Spearing in central midfield, with Pratley between them and Beckford: for a game at a Billy Davies side we'll have to do some hard running first. Creativity will have to come down the wings so we need Eagles back and see whether CYL or Moritz look better for the starting role.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Enoch wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
Enoch wrote:
ChrisC wrote:

Or somesuch.
So what, you give in???Put some bloody effort in!!

Impressive for sure, I'm just struggling to see where the Sheriff fits in though! Do you think he would wear a shiny star and a big hat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGoWtY_h4xo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Sheriff is definitely in there somewhere.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Re Beckford, its obvious his movement is very good. He worked channels and space right across that frontline and made some great runs in behind. But didn't get the ball.

That is what we have to work on, feeding him those passes and the right delivery. If he doesn't score then we are carrying him, but if he does then suddenly we've got someone who we've needed up front. Movement, pace and scoring ability.

I don't really care how many headers he wins. Craig Davies won headers against Reading when he came on but it didn't change the game.

And we need to work out how best to create chances for Beckford IMO. I hope it comes, then we'll find out over a period how many of those chances he takes.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I don't really care how many headers he wins. Craig Davies won headers against Reading when he came on but it didn't change the game.
Well, maybe ... but we should stop booting the ball toward his head then.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:40 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I don't really care how many headers he wins. Craig Davies won headers against Reading when he came on but it didn't change the game.
Well, maybe ... but we should stop booting the ball toward his head then.
I honestly thought we did it a lot less, first half especially. Second half under pressure, sure we went longer, and part of that is because Knight and Wheater don't seem capable of much else.

I realise others saw it differently. But its going to be an adjustment I think. We probably need to find ways of playing it out under pressure. Easier said than done because neither centre back is particularly comfortable on the ball.

The BN described Beckford's style as similar to Anelka's and requiring a similar adjustment period for the team (and before anyone gets all silly, yes the quality of player is entirely different we're talking about how they need service). If we get it right, thats the time to judge Beckford for me, based on how often he hits the onion bag.

I agree that it may be frustrating in this interim period. Tough one because if we give up on Beckford we go back to having a big lad up there winning headers and we don't get used to picking out the runs. But equally under pressure at Forest I can well imagine it will be tempting to be frustrated at Beckford who won't really be the type to relieve pressure.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:44 pm

Forest 1-2 Bolton

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:52 pm

freeindeed wrote:Forest 1-2 Bolton
Wish I were that optimistic. Just been badgered into going though so I'll try! Last time I went we lost 4 nil in the early 90s when Clough was still in charge, got to be better than that at least. hasn't it?

Any forum members pre match pub gatherings?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:45 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Last time I went we lost 4 nil in the early 90s when Clough was still in charge, got to be better than that at least. hasn't it?
Me too. Although I remember having this mixed feeling of being gutted that we were getting gubbed whilst at the same time being in awe of the football that Forest were playing.

Sorely tempted to have a drive down there this Saturday.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Last time I went we lost 4 nil in the early 90s when Clough was still in charge, got to be better than that at least. hasn't it?
Me too. Although I remember having this mixed feeling of being gutted that we were getting gubbed whilst at the same time being in awe of the football that Forest were playing.
Yep. And the stadium, although obviously we were in the shittest bit of it.

Round that time we got beat by (Neil Warnock's) County in the play-off semis an'all. Stoopid Nottingham.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yep. And the stadium, although obviously we were in the shittest bit of it.
Oh yes, absolutely. And singing "You missed in Italy, Stuart Pearce, Stuart Pearce" and him turning round and telling us to shush. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Sorely tempted to have a drive down there this Saturday.
I've been mithered into it and have to meet mate in Leeds. Was going to give it a miss as I'm going to Tranmere Blackburn and Brighton but what the hell. I do like my away days. Can live on beans for a month!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:06 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wish I were that optimistic. Just been badgered into going though so I'll try! Last time I went we lost 4 nil in the early 90s when Clough was still in charge, got to be better than that at least. hasn't it?

Dunno if I'm bothering, but head for Notts Countys social club for a few if you don't want to stay in the centre
Sto ut Serviam

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:17 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

Dunno if I'm bothering, but head for Notts Countys social club for a few if you don't want to stay in the centre
Nice to see you back you Tory bastard... :wink:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 pm

My football experiences in Nottingham have been almost entirely negative. The best being a 0-0 against county after going down to ten men in the first half...

i'm not going, and not hoping for much...

But this is a testing fixture, and should help us see where we are at this stage. My guess is if we finish above Forest at the end of the season we are in the play offs...