"Wednesday's child is full of woe". Away to Sheffield Wednesday, Friday Mar.17th 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: "Wednesday's child is full of woe". Away to Sheffield Wednesday, Friday Mar.17th 7-45.

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:34 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:30 am
5-0 Sheff Weds.
That's the worry. If it really is impossible to train for two possible scenarios, one more defensive than the other, then you could see us attacking like Bambi running into a pack of wolves, which fizzle out. Being short handed on their attacks as a consequence and them being clinical. Even if we bring our "top game" you could still see them having too much and winning.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: "Wednesday's child is full of woe". Away to Sheffield Wednesday, Friday Mar.17th 7-45.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:50 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:34 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
5-0 Sheff Weds.
That's the worry. If it really is impossible to train for two possible scenarios, one more defensive than the other, then you could see us attacking like Bambi running into a pack of wolves, which fizzle out. Being short handed on their attacks as a consequence and them being clinical. Even if we bring our "top game" you could still see them having too much and winning.
If I have a concern about us as a team its mental fragility. We just lack real leaders. People who can dig deep when needed. Its all a bit....roll over when a decent team comes to town rather than raise ourselves and really give them a game. At our peak we can just about do it but any little slight thing against us and we capitulate a bit too easily.

I suppose its easy to say this stuff and sometimes its simply ability. If we had a few more goalscorers maybe we'd be better off - and cover up for the need to always be on top form.

But there is the feeling that if we're not absolutely flying all the time we struggle to beat or match the better sides and for me that's down to that intangible 'grit' or mental strength, leadership. You'll never win every game. Ever. But our record is illuminating to me.

When you look back the game that really has hurt us is Morecambe. We should be winning there. We shouldn't have been pratting round in front of goal. But again what hurt us most is they pressed us first half and made it physical. We simply do not do well with that. And the better the team we play the worse we look. Even games we've won this season have been at times a struggle when a team presses us effectively and gets in our faces. We talk about struggling against low blocks and we do. But that's a symptom for me of trying to walk it into the net.

But a physical team who presses us well, scares me - and if they have some quality in attacking areas I'd say we look a bit rabbit in headlights.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:24 am

Strange things can happen on Frosty Friday. All the runes are pointing at a serious defeat for us, but fate may decree otherwise (Remember Bolton 1 Man City 0) and I'm hoping for a Arsene (w)Venger ("xxxxxxx Bolton! ") bucket-kicking reaction from Mr Moore. It won't affect them in any way except perhaps pride, to lose, and nobody and his mother-in-law think we'll win, but que-sera-sera. Call me a dreamer,but I've dropped a fifty pence coin down the wishing well for three points..Fight the good fight lads.

As ever, COME ON YOU WHITES. :pray:

:Jedi:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:24 am
Strange things can happen on Frosty Friday. All the runes are pointing at a serious defeat for us, but fate may decree otherwise (Remember Bolton 1 Man City 0) and I'm hoping for a Arsene (w)Venger ("xxxxxxx Bolton! ") bucket-kicking reaction from Mr Moore. It won't affect them in any way except perhaps pride, to lose, and nobody and his mother-in-law think we'll win, but que-sera-sera. Call me a dreamer,but I've dropped a fifty pence coin down the wishing well for three points..Fight the good fight lads.

When we beat Man City though we were a better side than them....just about. We finished above them that season. Albeit we were lucky in the game.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:52 am

Agree to an extent, Insano, but the mental toughness has to translate into the performance. Clearly against the top 8, we've not fared well. Won 2 (and obvs it's a top 7 as we don't play ourselves).

We've done best at the mid-8 teams, but then worse than the mid 8 at the bottom 8. Those teams in the bottom 8, where we often cite wrong type of snow and the like as mitigation. We've lost 3 and drawn 2. That's too many points against bottom 8, dropped for me.

You might expect to see most points gained v bottom 8, few less against mid 8 and a few less against top 8. What we're seeing for me, is if we're not totally on it, then league position has less bearing than it should have.

Is anyone looking back with hindsight and asking "how did we get beat by FGR, Oxford at home. etc...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:57 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:31 am
TANGODANCER wrote:

When we beat Man City though we were a better side than them....just about. We finished above them that season. Albeit we were lucky in the game.
They absolutely shelacked us,hit our woodwork more times than woody woodpecker and we scored a last minute Gary Speed (R.I.P.) Penalty.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:01 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:57 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:31 am
TANGODANCER wrote:

They absolutely shelacked us,hit our woodwork more times than woody woodpecker and we scored a last minute Gary Speed (R.I.P.) Penalty.
Yes I know. But whilst in the game we were lucky…we were a better team than them just about and finished 6 points higher than them that season.

So in the game we were lucky itself but beating them away was not a shock in itself.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:06 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:52 am
Agree to an extent, Insano, but the mental toughness has to translate into the performance. Clearly against the top 8, we've not fared well. Won 2 (and obvs it's a top 7 as we don't play ourselves).

We've done best at the mid-8 teams, but then worse than the mid 8 at the bottom 8. Those teams in the bottom 8, where we often cite wrong type of snow and the like as mitigation. We've lost 3 and drawn 2. That's too many points against bottom 8, dropped for me.

You might expect to see most points gained v bottom 8, few less against mid 8 and a few less against top 8. What we're seeing for me, is if we're not totally on it, then league position has less bearing than it should have.

Is anyone looking back with hindsight and asking "how did we get beat by FGR, Oxford at home. etc...
Yeah I think that’s what we are both saying. We are fine when things are going for us and we have momentum. Or when a team plays ‘how we like them to’. But we struggle too much against the bottom 8 who tend to make life difficult for us in some instances and then really really struggle against the top 8. I’m not saying that it’s all down to leadership on the field and mentality but I think some is. We are too easily thrown off course by ‘small pitch’ ‘not enough grass’ ‘they got in our faces and made it tough’ ‘we’ve played three games this week ‘ and other similar events.

I think boil it down and we don’t have enough to just win games in relative comfort without being at our peak. Yes we’ve won games without being our best but those tend to rely on opposition failures. I think it’s grinding out the 1-0’s where you are resolute, score from a scrappy corner, never look like conceding that we miss. The ‘we aren’t at our best today boys but we ain’t conceding and we will find a way to win’.

Pompey away a classic example. Didn’t play well. Got 1-0 up. Fell apart cos we missed a chance and then it was windy and they won some free kicks. That’s where for me a real leader steps up, shakes a few people and at worst we come away with a 1-1.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:34 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
5-0 Sheff Weds.
Been there before.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:27 pm

George Johnston and MJ back in contention for tomorrow night with a friendly next week scheduled for them to get minutes ahead of Wembley.

I can't see either starting tomorrow unless Evatt pulls a surprise but sounds like Evatt is relieved both are back - and I agree. Both experienced and add leadership to the group.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both starting at Wembley assuming they come through the friendly ok.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:27 pm
George Johnston and MJ back in contention for tomorrow night with a friendly next week scheduled for them to get minutes ahead of Wembley.

I can't see either starting tomorrow unless Evatt pulls a surprise but sounds like Evatt is relieved both are back - and I agree. Both experienced and add leadership to the group.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both starting at Wembley assuming they come through the friendly ok.
I can see M.J. doing a sort of Ivan Campo (without the free kicks) role, and getting forward as the opportunity arises. Normal rules don't seem to apply in cup games, especially finals.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:39 pm

Would love to see Johnno back in tomorrow.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:40 am
It's on iFollow. https://www.bwfc.co.uk/ifollow/subscribe/
If you fancy a dose of Friday night depression.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:58 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:40 am
It's on iFollow. https://www.bwfc.co.uk/ifollow/subscribe/
If you fancy a dose of Friday night depression.....
Ha. You know the feeling though - it's very difficult to not follow it, by whatever methods suit your means.

I can't pretend I'm looking forward to the game. I've said before that some games under Parky (after first season) and Hill felt like an uncomfortable visit to an ailing relative. It's not like that so often these days but I may be watching through my fingers and I'm expecting nowt.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:45 pm

Can you pay for one any game ....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:45 pm
Yep. £10. https://www.bwfc.co.uk/ifollow/
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:53 pm

If GJ is recovered from the injury I'd have him straight back in. It's a free hit points wise, he's miles better than anyone else we'd have there, and we need him to get minutes before Wembley. With five subs you can take him off after an hour if he's blowing.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:52 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:45 pm
Yep. £10. https://www.bwfc.co.uk/ifollow/

Cheers Pru,

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:53 pm
If GJ is recovered from the injury I'd have him straight back in. It's a free hit points wise, he's miles better than anyone else we'd have there, and we need him to get minutes before Wembley. With five subs you can take him off after an hour if he's blowing.
Currently playing for the B Team so doubt we will see him.