Bolton v Spuds

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:05 pm

Work place crammed with Spuds...........
How happy am I........... :mrgreen: ?

Terrific performance
Special mention for Matty Taylor.. superb effort today , wasn't his best performance by a mile for quality but he kept getting into the positions and was very unlucky to hit the post. I haven't been his biggest fan by a long chalk but I thought he really epitomised the work and effort today ..
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:06 pm

Petrov
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Well that was the most enjoyable game I can remember at the Reebok. I would have thought it was value for money if I had paid twice the amount for my ticket.

Well done OC, and well done the team, and fans. Fantabulous!

jussi_jaji
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jussi_jaji » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Davies delighted with win

Bolton striker Kevin Davies admitted Tottenham's European exertions may have benefited his side as they inflicted a 4-2 defeat on Harry Redknapp's Champions League stars.

Asked if it was Bolton's most satisfying win of the season so far, Davies told Sky Sports 2: ''I think so, obviously we were disappointed with the result last weekend (a home defeat by Liverpool), we needed to bounce back strongly and we did that.

''To be honest we normally have a good game against Tottenham with lots of goals, so it didn't surprise me. Obviously we let them back in the game but we managed to finish them off in the end.''

Davies admitted Tottenham's European action may have played a part.

''Yes, I think a little bit,'' he said. ''Playing in Europe, we did it a few years back and it's difficult playing at the weekend. But they've got a big squad, some great players and I don't think they'll use that as an excuse.''

Bolton boss Owen Coyle said: ''I like to think we're improving, when I came in January we were in the bottom three, favourites for relegation. Hopefully we're moving in the right direction but it's a work in progress.

''We're showing a lot of quality and I thought it was an outstanding performance today.''

Coyle admitted he was slightly nervous when Tottenham launched their fightback.

''You're always worried, particularly with the quality Tottenham have,'' he said. ''I have to say at 3-0 I think we were comfortable and had a few other chances but you've got to give Tottenham credit for the tremendous finishes.''

Opposite number Harry Redknapp said: ''We've obviously disappointed. They got after us, they did well, worked hard, pressed, didn't let us play.

''It's difficult to come away from home, and we tried to be solid. But we went one down, I bring on another striker and go 4-4-2 and we're open as a barn door. If you don't defend well enough you get what happened today. It's a fine balancing act (between being expansive and keeping tight). We got punished, we didn't defend well enough.''

Redknapp played down the suggestion that in-form winger Gareth Bale had been targeted with rough treatment.

''It's coincidental,'' he said. ''People are going to tackle him, he has to accept people are going to tackle him.''

--

This guys is very truthful!!!! Other coaches wwould have said "They kicked us bla bla bla..."

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:27 pm

I thought Robbie Blake was rubbish though.

Don't remember him getting so much as a kick.

Made no impression on the game whatsoever !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:27 pm

Yes, he was rather ineffectual ;)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Verbal wrote:
thebish wrote:Davo - 3-0

Think that's the first goal.
Yes, it was and had a hint of offside (think the peno he used his right foot). But the calls tended to even out I suppose. I had to watch the first half in French and discovered the French for corner is corneeer. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:Image

Petrov
that's Wenger, surely?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:42 pm

thebish wrote:

Petrov
that's Wenger, surely?
I see no sweets! :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Can I just say I was unable to watch or listen to the game today for various reasons. Instead I was updated continuously by a Man City friend by text.

I happened to be passing a Virgin media shop where they had the game on live and saw Davo convert the penalty. Further texts at 3-1 and 3-2 darkened my not inconsiderable bad mood but Martin Petrov, god bless his cotton socks has made me a very happy man tonight.

Now off into London to sup with various West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal people. Big fat smug grin on my mush.

Proud to be a Wanderer.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Watched the game in the pub with a spurs fan. I've seen more losses than wins over the years so from a superstitious point of view glad I wasn't there, but I imagine the Reebok was rockin'! Very happy Wanderer today.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:09 pm

thebish wrote: ok - we differ - but petrov has been piss-poor the last couple of games..... maybe he'll get a cameo and a supersub goal!
Man alive! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:10 pm

thebish wrote:

Petrov
that's Wenger, surely?
Nicky Hunt'll look like that in a bit.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:11 pm

Excellent game and an excellent performance from all the team. Just watched a recording, without knowing the score, after I got home from the dinner party that I had to go to.

100% effort from everyone, but Muamba, Elmander and Cahill were the tops for me followed closely by Davies and Holden, and even closer followed by the rest of the team. No weak links and even Taylor had an excellent game! :shock:

Totally outplayed Spurs and but for two fantastic finishes from them a 4-0 score would have better reflected the true dominance of the men in white. Even so Bale did put three very good crosses in whichon another day could have produced goals but other than that Steinsson had him in his pocket for most of the game.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy with the result :D but even more happy with the performance :mrgreen: . Currently 5th and unless City and Arsenal both implode again we should still be there come Monday!!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:30 pm

A lot's been made of Petrov's goal but if Holden hadn't made that last ditch tackle a few second before I think the mood here would be somewhat more subdued. Well done to the lad :D

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Top second half, after a first where I nearly both fell asleep and got a suntan, in November! Grest scenes after Petrov's goal, what a relief that was and a really good finish from him too.

Good performances all over the pitch and some pretty knackered looking Wanderers players by the end, played our hearts out and I loved it. Home match day, a 4-2 win, home by 6 and sober too - crazy times.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Whookam wrote:A lot's been made of Petrov's goal but if Holden hadn't made that last ditch tackle a few second before I think the mood here would be somewhat more subdued. Well done to the lad :D
Oh absolutely. As awesome as SKD was today I honestly have Holden down as being MotM. He was absolutely fecking immense throughout.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:36 pm

That game there is a blueprint for an Owen Coyle team. Effort, pressing, high tempo, forward momentum, goals, chances and the odd fear that we could be overrun at any time, that never quite materialise but linger in the background non-the-less.

Overall it was absolutely superb stuff lead by the skipper who was amazingly good and if he doesn't make the England squad and that lanky streak of piss Crouch does then it will be the ultimate proof that Capello is a clueless fecker.

Steinsson was absolutely brilliant. He's taken some stick around here most of it "OTT" but today he kept Bale quiet and scored a fantastic goal to boot. He seemed to want to attack more, strange considering who he was against, and turned Bale round more than Bale turned him round, second half at least.

Elmander deserves a special mention our best stuff went through him today.

And LCY's best game of the season.

I liked the workrate of Taylor and then Petrov's pace at the end. Perhaps thats the way to go for a few weeks. Although Taylor at times is a bit ponderous on the ball he certainly is keen and worked very hard.

Spurs' goals were both unstoppable once they were hit though, Hutton should have been closed down IMO. But at 3-0 I had a feeling they'd come back into it but we'd still see it out. Don't think we had a bad performer out there today.

RobbieSavagesLeg
Promising
Promising

Post by RobbieSavagesLeg » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:44 pm

I had a good feeling about this.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote: ok - we differ - but petrov has been piss-poor the last couple of games..... maybe he'll get a cameo and a supersub goal!
Man alive! :D
one of my better predictions! 8)