mark davies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: mark davies

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:41 am

boltonboris wrote:So you don't think Fellaini has more ability than Mark Davies?

Fellaini cost the best part of £15m if memory serves.... You should expect a performance like that 3/4 times a year for that money.
Technical ability? I'm not sure. Different styles, so hard to compare.

What I was comparing was how Fellaini worked for the team, wanted the ball, got involved and how he tackled and worked back, and picked up runners, and showed for the ball.......

Thats down to attitude not ability.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:57 am

You can't criticise somebody for not having the physical attributes that Fellaini has.. He's huge, he's strong, yet he's fast.

He also played in a role that suited him.

You've not mentioned that.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Think people are quickly forgetting that Mark Davies played 3 fantastic games last season; Everton, Liverpool & Arsenal. The only point when he was playing in the 'hole' behind Ngog. Even when we went back to 4-5-1 later in the season he was playing alongside NRC behind Pratley/Eagles.

He's the typical past English conundrum of someone who does fit into the lines of a 4-4-2. I've made the comparison to Joe Cole before, people traditionally struggle to get good, consistent performances from these types of player, despite their ability.

I don't think it's fair to judge him playing central-midfield in a 4-4-2. Just the same way it wouldn't be fair to judge Sordell as a winger for example.

He could also go on to be a journeyman.
He could go on to be a top class player, if he found a team with a system that worked for him. To do this he'd need to work harder than he did on Saturday though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:19 pm

Not sure people are necessarily forgetting LW - or that they're saying he's pi$$ poor. He certainly struggles in a 4-4-2 and in a defensive role in a 4-5-1 - like you say he was slotted in with NRC.

The problem is we either try to build round him - which we've seen bugger all evidence of on anything like a consistent basis, or he becomes about as much use as a fart in a space suit.