The Munich match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:55 pm

Another reporter with egg on his face.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 827758.ece
Kaveh Solhekol from The Times wrote:Will Bolton Wanderers lose by three or four goals? Surely, that is the only question worth asking when the struggling Barclays Premier League team face Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena this evening. Bayern have lifted the European Cup on four occasions and the German title 20 times; Bolton have not won anything of note since the 1950s and travelled to Munich yesterday without their two best players because of injury – Nicolas Anelka and El-Hadji Diouf.

With Bayern managed by Ottmar Hitzfeld, one of the best coaches in the world, and Gary Megson in the visiting team’s dugout, it appears that Bolton’s chances of causing an upset are between slim and none.

“We are not in strong shape, but we have a chance,” Megson said. “We are not going to come over here to keep the score down. We are going to try and get the best result we can.” As a midfield player, Megson loved to roll up his sleeves and get stuck in, but his managerial stock had fallen so low that he worked without pay in the summer as a coach at Stoke City. Meanwhile, Hitzfeld was spending £50 million on players such as Luca Toni, the Italy striker, Franck Ribéry, the France winger, and Miroslav Klose, the Germany forward, to transform Bayern’s fortunes.

“I was the balls, bibs and cones man at Stoke, but I really enjoyed it,” Megson said. “Four months ago, I wasn’t expecting to be at Bayern Munich, but things change in life.”
Related Links

* Moyes urges ticketless fans to stay calm

Finishing in the top three in group F will guarantee Bolton a place in the knockout stage – they are second at present – so losing to Bayern would not be the end of the world, especially as they have a more important Premier League match at home to Middlesbrough on Sunday. “Avoiding relegation has to be our focus,” Megson, whose side are nineteenth in the table, said. “We have to get Bolton out of the relegation zone.”

As well as Anelka (hamstring) and Diouf (ankle), Bolton have left behind Abdoulaye Meïté (knee) and Nicky Hunt (shoulder), the defenders. “It is going to make a difficult task even harder,” Megson said. “Any club would struggle with the problems that we have.”

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Channel 5 numpty commentator "The referee is having an excellent game..."

My response "Fook off you fookin numpty arsebandtiting tw*t"

Always reasoned when watching games!
I thought exactly the same when he came out with that comment. Fair game my arse. I'm sure he was informed before the game not to pick on the referee.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: for all the ref-baiting, he could easily have given Bayern a penalty in the first half when McCann (who battled as manfully out of position as he did when restored to his natural habitat) took away some bloke's legs while backing up Michalik.
Good job they don't have TV match officials as in rugby / cricket - that looked OK live, but not in Slo-mo

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:58 pm

yorkwanderer wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:There were several things I'd like to have seen replays of, but it was little Bolton against mighty Bayern. How many times did they show their goals? All's well that ends well. One for the video bank.
More the host broadcaster's fault than Five's. Did I ever tell you how much I like Colin Murray as a football-show anchor? Nobody's commented on how he tipped us for 2-2 while the self-appointed experts tipped 3-1... :mrgreen:
Yeah it would have been a German feed they were playing rather than Five. I'm not sure about Murray but lets face it anyone would look good next to John "the plank" Barnes.
True, YW, but I like the cut of his jib.

Anyway I've posted this on another thread but I believe it stands repetition:

Group standings. Top three go through:

..............................Pl..W...D...L...F...A...GD...Pts
1 Bayern Munich...2...1...1...0...5...4...+1...4
2 Aris Salonika.....1...1...0...0...3...0...+3...3
3 BWFC...............2...0...2...0...3...3...---...2
4 Braga................1...0...1...0...1...1...---...1
5 Crvena Zvezda..2...0...0...2...2...6...-4...0

Fixtures
Thursday, 29 November 2007
Bolton v Aris Salonika, F, 20:00
Braga v Bayern Munich, F, 21:00

Wednesday, 05 December 2007
Aris Salonika v Braga, F, 19:45
Crvena Zvezda v Bolton, F, 19:45

Wednesday, 19 December 2007
Bayern Munich v Aris Salonika, F, 19:45
Braga v Crvena Zvezda, F, 19:45

Think we still need another four points yet... thoughts?

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 pm

Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Channel 5 numpty commentator "The referee is having an excellent game..."

I thought exactly the same when he came out with that comment. Fair game my arse. I'm sure he was informed before the game not to pick on the referee.
Not nearly as good as his comment late in the game:

"We really haven't seen anything of Kahn tonight, he's hardly had anything to do"

*Cue Kahn picking the ball out of his own net five seconds later*

Classic!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:02 pm

The champagne moment tonight was Kevin Davies's face when he equalised. Sometimes I think his face is made of clay as his facial expressions don't change whether he has just floored someone or been hacked down himself. But tonight he really enjoyed that one. His face was a picture.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:03 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Mar wrote:

Not nearly as good as his comment late in the game:

"We really haven't seen anything of Kahn tonight, he's hardly had anything to do"

*Cue Kahn picking the ball out of his own net five seconds later after being megged by the only striker not to play for England in the past five years*

Classic!
You missed a bit :D :pray:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:05 pm

yorkwanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:There were several things I'd like to have seen replays of, but it was little Bolton against mighty Bayern. How many times did they show their goals? All's well that ends well. One for the video bank.
More the host broadcaster's fault than Five's. Did I ever tell you how much I like Colin Murray as a football-show anchor? Nobody's commented on how he tipped us for 2-2 while the self-appointed experts tipped 3-1... :mrgreen:
Yeah it would have been a German feed they were playing rather than Five. I'm not sure about Murray but lets face it anyone would look good next to John "the plank" Barnes.
True, YW, but I like the cut of his jib.

Anyway I've posted this on another thread but I believe it stands repetition:

Group standings. Top three go through:

Fixtures

Wednesday, 05 December 2007

4 would be nice, 3 might make it...but to get either 3 or 4, we're going to have to get a w?? - errr - what's the word again?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:08 pm

malcd1 wrote:Image

The champagne moment tonight was Kevin Davies's face when he equalised. Sometimes I think his face is made of clay as his facial expressions don't change whether he has just floored someone or been hacked down himself. But tonight he really enjoyed that one. His face was a picture.
Clay faces aren't expressive? Have you seen Wallace & Gromit? :wink:

Keveh, I do believe that we have a new contender for T-W's top-right picture icon. A simple legend like "Bolton through and through" should complete a happy scene.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:12 pm

palexjones wrote:Did anybody else think they could hear megson shouting early on in the second half? - I watched it on Chan 5
Yep, CWE mentioned it - "Mikel! F*ckin' hell!!". Perhaps it was coincidence or tactical (Gardner switching with McCann had left us with a midfield short on width) but five minutes later Alonso was off for Stelios... :wink:
Oi ref any chance of a feckin free kick tonight ffs.... :D
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Keveh, I do believe that we have a new contender for T-W's top-right picture icon. A simple legend like "Bolton through and through" should complete a happy scene.
Seconded.

"How to rediscover optimism in 90 minutes"

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:18 pm

someone on here once had their avatar as superman body with superkev's face superimposed over kal el's .. steal, and use that..

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: Group standings. Top three go through:

Fixtures

Thursday, 06 December 2007 ------------------ NOTE CORRECT DATE!!!

4 would be nice, 3 might make it...but to get either 3 or 4, we're going to have to get a w?? - errr - what's the word again?
:mrgreen:
Well we need one of those... things at home to Salonika, and you'd expect a chastened Bayern to win in Portugal. That makes it BM 7, BW 5, Aris 3, Braga 1, Red Star 0.

Then let's follow your idea that we might only need three points - say the Croatians go hell-for-leather in their last home game and beat us, while Aris see off Braga at home: BM 7, Aris 6, BW 5, Red Star 3, Braga 1. So we can't finish higher than third, and we're left hoping Braga can hold Red Star in Portugal...

I know there's a few ifs there (not least Aris beating Braga, but then Aris just battered Red Star), but I think we might need a draw in Croatia tha knows. And of course one of those three-point thingies in our remaining home game, but hopefully we'll rediscover that particular habit on Sunday!

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:25 pm

Take each game as it comes and enjoy the journey as far as I'm concerned, though some of us are only able to go 6.5 miles on their own private Euro tour!

Mitch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Mitch » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Well done lads, absolutely brilliant. By the way that shot of Super Kev celebrating his goal reminds me of his winner in the pouring rain at Wolves a few years back that virtually secured our safety. His face said the same then! It meant so much. What a legend :pray:

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:31 pm

Can't wait for the highlights, dying to see that Al Habsi save.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:35 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Can't wait for the highlights, dying to see that Al Habsi save.
I'll be honest with you HP, I can see the Banks comparisons but it wasn't that good - unlike Gordon he didn't have to change direction ro scrabble eight yards across his goalmouth. The similarity is in the incredibly strong wrist: twas a shot fired a foot above the floor (to AAH's left), the big man got down to get a paw to it and it looped safely over the bar. Fine, fine save, but not in the class of Banks's Pele-denier.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:19 am

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:29 am

We don't get UEFA Cup gameson TV here, plenty of Champions League games so will have to wait for us to qualify for that before I can watch us in Europe. But sound like a great alround performance from our lads and an exceptional result which should kick start our season.

Well lets hope that we don't get a below par rebound performance on Sunday, which is on TV here. :pray:

Well done to The Whites and all those supporters who travelled to Munich and shouted and sung their hearts out, what an experience for them. I can just imagine the stories with grandchildren on their knees "..... Grandad tell us again about when you watched Bolton draw in Munich ....." :D
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:35 am

FD wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Image
That photograph is just magnificent. Makes me feel so damn proud.
I bet that javelin went a fckg long way !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".