Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Freedman out!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:09 pm

thebish wrote:i don't really understand what a "director of football" does... what would you envisage Sam would do in the role at Bolton?
In general: be in charge of transfers; dictate tactical policy throughout the club; be on the board; sit high up in the stands; not have to get up for training; not be blamed when the team lose.

It'll be ideal for Sam.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:10 pm

thebish wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:forgot the main question - BSA back ? in a heartbeat. Would he come - can never say never, but would be a huge surprise if he did. Could imagine him in some kind of director of football role with us though, albeit acrimony with PG would still be a problem.

i don't really understand what a "director of football" does... what would you envisage Sam would do in the role at Bolton?
tell dougie what to do :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
thebish wrote:i don't really understand what a "director of football" does... what would you envisage Sam would do in the role at Bolton?
In general: be in charge of transfers; dictate tactical policy throughout the club; be on the board; sit high up in the stands; not have to get up for training; not be blamed when the team lose.

It'll be ideal for Sam.
so the manager is then a coach?

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:13 pm

thebish wrote:

It'll be ideal for Sam.
unsurprisingly goes back to one of debates we've had before about managers joining a club whereby the style of play, player development etc is all set and the manager comes in to operate it. rather than the new manager/ entire new regime/ philosophy approach that we've had

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:It wasn't though was it really? We spent considerable amounts beyond the money that Anelka brought in. We spent the £15m in the January he was sold alone. Then we spent a similar (or more I forget) sum in the summer. We spent a lot during Megson's first few transfer windows, an awful lot.
I think the money for Megson's spending binge came from a larger TV deal and the Anelka sale. Oh, and a bunch of borrowing.

I think the motivation for Megson's spending binge came after Gartside realized that Allardyce was right all along, and it was no longer possible to sustain top-8 finishes on the cheap. With one failed appointment (Lee) and one unpopular appointment (Megson) under his belt, Gartside suddenly found the money Allardyce wanted all along.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:16 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
thebish wrote:

It'll be ideal for Sam.
unsurprisingly goes back to one of debates we've had before about managers joining a club whereby the style of play, player development etc is all set and the manager comes in to operate it. rather than the new manager/ entire new regime/ philosophy approach that we've had

aye - i can (academically) see the merit... where (in the UK) does it actually work?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Allardyce couldn't get the job because according to PG once before, he wouldn't be good enough to get an interview!

However DSB has it bob on
Local ties or not, happy memories or no, Allardyce would be an absolute f*cking idiot to come back here. And for all the things he is, good and bad, he is not an absolute f*cking idiot
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Bish: yeah, in a proper DoF system the "manager" should be a head coach. Otherwise the DoF is just a trumped-up manager waiting to replace the guy in "charge:, as Knappsy isnsits he didn't do to Graham Rix at Pompey.

Who does it? It'smost popular on the continent but WBA insist on it: Hodgson was head coach, so's Clarke. They stopped negotiations with Betis boss Pepe Mel because he wanted to bring his own coaches in but they want to keep Downing, Dean Kiely and some other bod I can't recall. Though they bent the rules for Redknapp, Spurs also prefer it.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:40 pm

It'll be ideal for Sam.
Give Sam the purse-strings. Yep. Winner. :shock:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:36 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote: I think the biggest hurdle is the relationship between Allardyce and Gartisde. If they really do dislike each other and can't work together, it's unlikely it will happen
I'd be stunned beyond belief if that's how Eddie Davies viewed it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote: I think the biggest hurdle is the relationship between Allardyce and Gartisde. If they really do dislike each other and can't work together, it's unlikely it will happen
I'd be stunned beyond belief if that's how Eddie Davies viewed it.
I reckon they'd work together if each considered it in his own interests. They are both cynics in my opinion, so matters of pride/honour etc wouldn't come into it. I think there are many other reasons that it won't happen, as previously discussed. The main one being that DF is going nowhere.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Of course he would come back. He's been just as shite without us as we have without him. Better than Bolton? Yeah right.

Anyway, it's not going to happen. He won't get the sack, the clueless know-nowt chancer won't get the sack and Gartside isn't getting the sack either.
Businesswoman of the year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:34 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

It'll be ideal for Sam.
Give Sam the purse-strings. Yep. Winner. :shock:
Precisely.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:46 pm

If you have a hands-on chairman who's not afraid to make suggestions to the manager (like I imagine Dave Whelan does) that's almost like a director of football. I think BSA's style is like a director of football style anyway. You could bring Sam in and make a younger inexperienced manager as head coach, the only difference from before would be who picks the team. Or, do you want the experienced manager picking the team and the apprentice being a first-team coach?

Isn't Lennie Lawrence the director of football? Does he do anything?

What does LSL do these days? He's upstairs somewhere, I think.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:52 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:What does LSL do these days? He's upstairs somewhere, I think.
Not at the moment, but if the new building goes up at Lostock his office may be on the first floor.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:37 pm

LL is assistant manager - the main man's soundboard (different to chief coach).

LSL is head of academy coaching and development.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:41 pm

Personally I think we should be playing 433 (sounds like that's the system we're playing) every week at home
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:45 pm

We should be on the front foot.

Any formation can be attacking or defensive depending on the players and the mindset.

But the XI we've chosen today is quite a forward-thinking one.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:We should be on the front foot.

Any formation can be attacking or defensive depending on the players and the mindset.

... & all the better for it.

Despite currently a scoreline of 1-1 at least we've taken it to them.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:09 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:We should be on the front foot.

... & all the better for it.

Despite currently a scoreline of 1-1 at least we've taken it to them.
This and then some.
Pfffft.