The Munich match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:40 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:Can't wait for the highlights, dying to see that Al Habsi save.
I'll be honest with you HP, I can see the Banks comparisons but it wasn't that good - unlike Gordon he didn't have to change direction ro scrabble eight yards across his goalmouth. The similarity is in the incredibly strong wrist: twas a shot fired a foot above the floor (to AAH's left), the big man got down to get a paw to it and it looped safely over the bar. Fine, fine save, but not in the class of Banks's Pele-denier.
Might have been me starting the ball rolling on that (with a bit of Becks-beer-filled hyperbole), but it still was a stunning save in that he had a lot to do to get it up and over the bar. (Put it this way, it's not the kind of save you see every day of the week.)

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:07 am

So happy and proud. Born to be a Wanderer indeed

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:43 am

What a game! A fantastic and to an extent a deserved draw. It took Bayern two world-class goals (especially the first one) to get back into the game, and we kept in there. Put it another way - a team containing around six reserve team players managed to contain the likes of Podolski, Klose, Ribery (to an extent), Schweinsteiger. and Toni. You may be able to point at faults at some point during the game, but to be honest f*ck you. Be proud to be a Wanderer. :pray:
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:44 am

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/071109/phot ... 78f3ed0dd7

I like how this one refers to Davies by his full name . . . :conf:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:24 am

BoltonFan1983 wrote:
Dr.Karl wrote:Could have been three or four with Ribery still on the pitch, so a big thanks to Hitzfeld! Although credit to our lads, kept in there when heads could have dropped, great result.
Yeah, if i was a bayern fan, i'd really question why he'd do that? If they were up by 2-3, that makes sense, but a one goal lead? He didn't respect Bolton, despite all the jibberish he kept on saying about respecting Bolton, but good thing we stuck it to him!

COME ON WHITES
it was quite possibly the worst substitution I can recall from anyone. Clealry he was arrogant enough to think the game was over, otherwise there's little doubt we'd have lost that game. Credit to Megson for swapping Ricky & McCann as Ribery had McCann in knots, and his positional sense at RB was dreadful, but it just shifted the problem over to the equally bad Cid. Still, thank you Mr Hitzfeld! :mrgreen:

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wonka » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:30 am

It's been reported that Bayern have only conceded one goal at home all season.

Puts it into context dunnit?
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:31 am

fatshaft wrote:
BoltonFan1983 wrote:
Dr.Karl wrote:Could have been three or four with Ribery still on the pitch, so a big thanks to Hitzfeld!
Yeah, if i was a bayern fan, i'd really question why he'd do that? If they were up by 2-3, that makes sense, but a one goal lead? He didn't respect Bolton, despite all the jibberish he kept on saying about respecting Bolton, but good thing we stuck it to him!
it was quite possibly the worst substitution I can recall from anyone. Clealry he was arrogant enough to think the game was over, otherwise there's little doubt we'd have lost that game. Credit to Megson for swapping Ricky & McCann as Ribery had McCann in knots, and his positional sense at RB was dreadful, but it just shifted the problem over to the equally bad Cid. Still, thank you Mr Hitzfeld! :mrgreen:
Who'd have imagined Bayern being arrogant enough to think that a 2-1 lead over an English side would be enough to take it easy?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:37 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
PS: for all the ref-baiting, he could easily have given Bayern a penalty in the first half when McCann (who battled as manfully out of position as he did when restored to his natural habitat) took away some bloke's legs while backing up Michalik.
Aye, 'twas a stone waller for me that. Couldn't believ McGhee and that nice person of a commentator didn't think it was.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Paper View

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:44 am

Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.j ... bay109.xml
"Hasan Al-Habsi"

Guardian
http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Re ... 93,00.html
"Hallmark long throws"

Independent
http://sport.independent.co.uk/football ... 143206.ece
"Megson will take a number of positives"

Times
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 836393.ece
"world-class"

Great Megson quote, his best yet:
Gary Megson said rather than wrote:I told my players not to show the opposition any respect. Some teams are beaten before a ball has been kicked, but we didn’t show them any respect and my players deserve a massive amount of credit. We couldn’t have been more motivated.

gaz_nt
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by gaz_nt » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:45 am

Personally i think McCann had a shocker!! I kno he isn't a right back but he could not contain Ribery at all! He also gave the ball away umpteen times and generally just frustrated me! Worst player on the pitch IMO. Has been for a couple of games!! Ricky G had a stormer and looked really up for it when he was flying down those flanks and then Megson realised just how sh!ite McCann was, and put him back in at right back. But he should have put McCann back in the right back position when Ribery was taken off, and let ricky tear up the Bayern full backs!!
Friend first, Boss second... Probably an Entertainer third!

Hassel
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Hassel » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:33 am

Hello and congratulations from a Bayern fan ;)
First of all, sorry for my bad english! :P
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Who'd have imagined Bayern being arrogant enough to think that a 2-1 lead over an English side would be enough to take it easy?
That substitution had nothing to do with arrogance. There a two reasons why Ribery was taken off.
First reason: The german league has only 2 sunday-matches, but 4 UEFA Cup teams playing on thursday. So one team has to play on Saturday at 15:30 (thats less then 2 days from the UEFA Cup match). Demichelis (a better defender than Lucio or van Buyten), Ze Roberto and Lahm haven't even played yesterday, Toni came in later, Ribery and Schweinsteiger were taken off. I wonder why he didn't substitude Klose (maybe because of the "short" 2:1 lead).
The second reason: Ribery was injured till last week. On saturday he played his first match, so he isn't even at 100% of his condition.
Another reason why this substitution had nothing to do with arrogance: Kroos also came in at Marakana in Belgrade (which is NOT a croatian town, somebody write that above me :wink: ) at the time when Bayern was losing. He was the one who passes the ball to Klose when he scored (2:2). And in the last minute, he was the scorer for the winnig 3:2 goal. So Hitzfeld hoped that Kroos will have a similar impact on this match.

Hitzfeld has never underestimated any enemy, he's professional enough to know that, especially in an europe-stage match.

Anyway, good luck for the last matches. You've earned passing to the next stage in the Uefa Cup. And maybe we see each other again (this time with Anelka, Diouf on your side, and Demichelis and Ze Roberto on our side ;))
Last edited by Hassel on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:35 am

Greetings from Munich (where its snowing!!)

Never been so proud, cant wait to see these highlights (if I can). What a glorious night it was for us, emotional as well. Think everyone was mentally shattered after that, incredible.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:35 am

It would be great to meet you in the final, Hassel!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:19 am

Hello Hassel,

Firstly your English is far better than many English people could manage... Don't take on our English habit of always apologising :mrgreen:

My reference to a one-goal lead being enough for arrogance was a reference to Barcelona in the 1999 final, but let's not go there. On another note, you're right that Belgrade is in Serbia not Croatia.

Were the Bolton fans greeted as warmly and welcomingly as the England fans last summer? I can't praise the German welcome highly enough; having watched football across this continent, I place Germany firmly at the top of the hosts' table.

Good luck against Braga and Aris!

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/photo/071109/phot ... 78f3ed0dd7

I like how this one refers to Davies by his full name . . . :conf:
Cyril....that'll by my first kids name then!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:06 pm

what a great couple of days that was

just go back 630am flight to stansted then a drive up to leeds after last night was not much fun i tell thee

anyway i loved it, the bars in and around the marienplatz rammed full of wanderers (yes sorry i didnt make it further up fellow TW's)

considering there was only me and my sister i had a load of banter with lots of fellow wanderers. highlights include the 20 minute 'we are the one and only wanderers' in one bar which had a great 'round' (? I think thats the technical term); the S/U bahn journey to the ground with two groups of wanderers fans either side of a small contingent of bayern fans in the middle (poor sods) which was just rocking, the bar at the frottmanig station was class too, just makin KO then 5 mins in we took the lead awesome!

I have no idea on shape, it looked like a 3-5-2 to me, McCann/Guthrie at let wing back and Gardner at right wing back (right wing back!!!)

I was pissed anyway, watching he wanderers after 8 pints of german beer was awesome, they looked good and everything.

our fans were immense as well chanting all the way through. when it went 2-1 and they brought ribery off i smelt an equaliser, and it came. Super Kev. what a hero!!!!!!!!

the whole day was superb anyway, i'll have to get some pics up. loads of randoms in so who knows someone may just be in there.

Thought teamwise Nolan seemed to be our best player, worked his knackers off. I wouldn't know though really the beer put pay to reasoned judgement.

The sub of Andranik gave us a decent attacking impetus, and brought rewards in the end. quality.

4000 Wanderers outsinging 60000 bayern fans. just brilliant that.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:07 pm

oh yeah, the ref as well....were we all too pissed and too far away or was he a proper homer??

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I can't praise the German welcome highly enough; having watched football across this continent, I place Germany firmly at the top of the hosts' table.
Allow me to echo that sentiment. If our guys in Munich were treated anything like we were in Frankfurt last year then it'd have stood to make an unbelievable night even unbelievabler. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Image

Nice :-)
Just wanted to see it again. That photo is magnificent, I want it blown up and framed.

Should definitely be the picture on the top right, simply "We are Bolton" underneathe it.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:05 pm

officer_dibble wrote:oh yeah, the ref as well....were we all too pissed and too far away or was he a proper homer??
Un homosexual incroyable ...

Seemed to enjoy waiting 5 minutes before waving our "injured" players back on, par example.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!