Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Freedman out!

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Almost half the shots taken are from outside the box?? Crikey!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:56 am

Freedman not chasing up the Dawson deal.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9105633/

This seems confusing. We sign a player on loan last season, he turns out to improve our season immensely and then the gaffer doesn't press the question to WBA if we can have him again.

Would seem to me that Dougie should at least be asking the question again to show Dawson at least that he's interested.

Apparently Dawson wants to make it in the WBA side.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:06 am

Oh FFS
Sto ut Serviam

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 am

Mar wrote:Freedman not chasing up the Dawson deal.

This seems confusing. We sign a player on loan last season, he turns out to improve our season immensely and then the gaffer doesn't press the question to WBA if we can have him again.

Would seem to me that Dougie should at least be asking the question again to show Dawson at least that he's interested.

Dougie and confusing all in one paragraph, how odd.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:24 am

Doesn't that interview say "we'd love Craig back and if he was available we'd take him but we don't think he is, and he isn't after a move so we'll just monitor it".

How that extrapolates to "we're not bothering" I really don't know!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:30 am

That is just a feeler from Dougie. Now we wait for Dawson or WBA to come out with "he has a part to play" or "Craig needs playing time"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:42 am

bobo the clown wrote:

how on earth is any of that confusing??

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:02 pm

Some f*cking clagnut at SSN has copied the BN's headline as well as its quotes

Dear me

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:33 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

how on earth is any of that confusing??
If I'm confused then ... QED.

Or is that confusing ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:35 pm

Dawson did very well for us'but understably Dougie wants his own players to polish up.You can't polish a turd so certain players he inherited will have to go and whatever we can afford brought in.I agree with him in not liking polishing up turds for other clubs! ! :roll:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm not a shopper, never have been and I'm f*cked if I'm getting involved in any of that argy bargy of the sales business. I am however just about to make my biannual trip to M&S, see if there are any trousers left in my size after the crush has subsided.

Hope that's clear.

And as for them journos being lazy, I'm ..................

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Some f*cking clagnut at SSN has copied the BN's headline as well as its quotes

Dear me
Journo question DSB, why is it still the case that journalists seemingly don't have input into their headlines? Even in broadsheets I so often see on Twitter etc. "Not me pal, I just wrote the article and some 20-something on the nightshift made up a snazzy headline which didn't reflect what I wrote."

Why can't the author be allowed to suggest their own title with the understanding it has to be just a wee bit provocative?
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:55 pm

Not wishing to tread on Mr barnet's toes, but if you employ a journalist because he's good at his job, researching and writing articles, it doesn't follow that he will have a clue how to drive circulation.

Two very different areas of expertise I would imagine.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:57 pm

Enoch wrote:Not wishing to tread on Mr barnet's toes, but if you employ a journalist because he's good at his job, researching and writing articles, it doesn't follow that he will have a clue how to drive circulation.

Two very different areas of expertise I would imagine.
Aye, we can only assume DSB is good at headlines
Sto ut Serviam

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Athers wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Some f*cking clagnut at SSN has copied the BN's headline as well as its quotes

Dear me
Journo question DSB, why is it still the case that journalists seemingly don't have input into their headlines? Even in broadsheets I so often see on Twitter etc. "Not me pal, I just wrote the article and some 20-something on the nightshift made up a snazzy headline which didn't reflect what I wrote."

Why can't the author be allowed to suggest their own title with the understanding it has to be just a wee bit provocative?
Depends on the set-up. Particularly on news"papers" (who are mostly now spending more money online than in print, and some are even making that money back), the writer will send in copy which someone else then prepares for publication.

You could argue that this was (and is) a good thing as it goes through more gatekeepers who should be able to see errors, but it depends on the quality of the gatekeeper. In ye olde days this was a copy-taker (very efficient secretary types) and a sub-editor (highly-trained grammar pedants with vast general knowledge), but now it's normally a poorly-paid tyro journo who wants to be Henry Winter but is actually one of many thousands spat out by an education system which for decades has deprioritised correctness for creativity and then attempted to give everyone in the country a degree. I don't blame the graduates, some of whom are fine wordsmiths, but diminishing finances from online being largely free often means that news organisations are relying upon the notably undertrained to present their news to the world.

As for headlines: because it's no longer really a page-layout business (Turnip-head, etc), particularly in news/onlinefeatures, writers should normally suggest a headline and standfirst - the bit below the headline that explains it and leads in. (In fact, for FFT feature pitches, I ask writers for the headline and standfirst before I ask for the full copy, to see whether it interests me: if you can't make me listen in 15 seconds, I doubt I'll spend five minutes on you.) But editors and uploaders should always reserve the write to make these stronger, whether with a better point, a wittier pun or, increasingly, an eye-catching combination of search-friendly click-triggering terms ("Arsenal and Spurs target open to move", etc).

Remember that headlines are now not page furniture, but often all you'll see of a story (say in a reader list or on NewsNow). In cynical get-clicks land, you can make headlines more controversial than the story - hence the hacks' complaint you mention. Strangely I don't think the BN did that, as "Freedman still interested in Dawson" might have got more reads - although maybe it's a double-bluff, or they're cleverer than me and are relying on the "WHAT THE FRIG ARE YOU DOING DOUGIE?" clickers-in-a-twist.

But you do still get post-rationalisation of headlines - notably tabloids making a headline pun then "explaining" it in about the fourth paragraph, like the time The Sun referred to The Beatles as "The Hey Jude hit-makers". Oh, those Beatles...
Enoch wrote:Not wishing to tread on Mr barnet's toes, but if you employ a journalist because he's good at his job, researching and writing articles, it doesn't follow that he will have a clue how to drive circulation. Two very different areas of expertise I would imagine.
A good editor will combine both, and not resort to clickbait. It only cheapens yer brand, although the Mail appear to have done very well with it.
CAPSLOCK wrote:Aye, we can only assume DSB is good at headlines
I see what you did there :wink:

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:23 pm

But editors and uploaders should always reserve the write to make these stronger,

and I see what you did there :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Il Pirate wrote:But editors and uploaders should always reserve the write to make these stronger,

Yep - ballsed it up! :grin:

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Comprehensive reply thanks DSB, interesting read.

Reading that Mediawatch feature on f365 often makes me laugh with the headlines and laboured intros sections (in between the AVB/Sherwood debate) - I don't know how that column is thought of in the industry though!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Haven't read it in years (see also The Fiver) but nobody minds such watchmen - Pseuds Corner and the like - they keep people on their toes.

In truth it's hard to avoid the laboured match-report intro without being either dull or clichéd. There have been very very many match reports, and there's only so many ways to say Team A won because Player X done good. That said, the longer the labour goes on, the more the reader groans.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:But editors and uploaders should always reserve the write to make these stronger,

Yep - ballsed it up! :grin:

Every man should be allowed at least one mistake. :wink: