Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Freedman out!

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
thebish wrote:

(not sure how any of us can have a really clear opinion on "what he does"
Actually, it appears that some people do.

Maybe one day they'll let us into the secret of what a football manager does beyond coaching the team that could take so much time and effort to garner no discernible results.
Our target was to go straight back up last year which we failed in - but we had a shit start, so DF gets some leeway, our target is to go up this year, but we had the worst start in 100 years, and which we're failing in. Not sure how much more leeway he should get. I don't mind what he does particularly, as long as it achieves the target he's been set.
Out of interest how do you know promotion was the target this season? I mean there are targets and targets. I have no idea what this seasons are.

Other than all Gartside has gone on record to say is that the main target is 'restructuring the football club to comply with FFP'.

And in itself that kind of suggests promotion wasn't being prepared for in the main as FFP would then not apply......

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:35 pm

I'm pretty sure that not being near the relegation places with more than half of the season gone wasn't the plan.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:41 pm

thebish wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
thebish wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
People will still have opinions on dougie though, but I'm curious bish, as to what factors you think us plebs can base those on. Doesn't seem we should take any notice of what he says, what he does, the league position, the performances.
having an opinion that he can spout shoite (like any manager), that we have had poor results so far this season, that our league position is lower than it should be does not automatically lead to the conclusion for everyone that he should therefore be sacked now. I know it does for you - but it clearly doesn't for everyone. hey - it's a diverse world! celebrate the diversity!

(not sure how any of us can have a really clear opinion on "what he does" - maybe you are better placed to judge than the rest of us?)
not at all. as I said I thought most of us (including me) realise he's here for a duration irrespective of 'performance', so we'll get to see whether he's a slow burner. You may think I'm really anti dougie but honestly its just more I'm not buying into what he's selling

going round in circles a bit, Not sure what the difference is between an opinion and a clear opinion unless the latter is more of a decision. I've not got any special insight, my opinion is simply based on those factors that some seem to think are irrelevant - what he says, what he does, and most importantly how the team performs (particularly in front of my eyes) - not sure what else it can be, unless he makes a crackin cup of tea I'm unaware of

i was talking specifically about your phrase "what he does" - most of it alleged stuff at the training ground and "backroom" - I don't know how any of us could have much of a clear opinion about that unless we were there and know what it is he "does"... what he "says" we can hear - we know what the results and league position are - but - what he "does"... what is that - how do you know and how is it bad?
No what he does was more about stuff we can see - the team selection, the tactics, the transfers. No idea or comment on that training ground or backroom stuff other what becomes evidenced on the park - the long diagonal ball from our centre backs, the hoof from lonergan to the wings, spearing taking the free kicks.

and its not all bad.... :)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:43 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote: No what he does was more about stuff we can see - the team selection, the tactics, the transfers. No idea or comment on that training ground or backroom stuff other what becomes evidenced on the park - the long diagonal ball from our centre backs, the hoof from lonergan to the wings, spearing taking the free kicks.

and its not all bad.... :)

ahhh - my mistake - i thought you were referring to the vague and woolly accusations that he is doing science and backroom stuff (eg. LK's toilet paper folding jibes) which seem to have become a table-tennis-bat sized weapon to beat dougie with!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:49 pm

Toilet paper folding increases dexterity and hand-eye co-ordination. In the same way that Table Tennis increases lung capacity.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Toilet paper folding increases dexterity and hand-eye co-ordination.
those of you that are posh know this...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:53 pm

So the butler tells me anyway. You should always take what the lower orders say with a pinch of salt though, understandably.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:How is saying that you like to give strikers (note he is talking about strikers specifically here) a run of games to get confidence and hopefully goals controversial at all?

Fact is we only have two fit? strikers in the senior squad right now so he has little choice in any case.

There is little point getting hung up on all this. The club is focused on trying to avoid a potential transfer ban and/or fine, next season by cutting the annual loss by more than £40M in a year.

Is arguing over throwaway comments by the manager in a local paper really relevant against that backdrop?
To get back to the point (however minor), I've genuinely never heard of this approach before. I get the players in form, squad rotation, home and away team set ups. It seems strange to me and a 'rule' which could backfire on you but accept it might be at the forefront of latest thinking.

Anyone heard of it before and does it work ?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Its just toiletpaper talk. Ignore it.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:05 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:Anyone heard of it before and does it work ?
It's not uncommon in cricket to let a person's form, or non-form, be shown over a bit of a run. Certainly for batsmen that makes some sense.

It could in thus case, just that the "90 minutes" statement is daft and, as stated, it's in direct contradiction to another daft statement about "it's performances on the training field which will determine selection".

I don't have a problem with the occasional bit of management speak, or occasional daft statements just how many he makes, that they are too often contradictory and he very often then does nothing like what he's stated.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:06 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Its just toiletpaper talk. Ignore it.
but there were quote marks an all. It was like he was talking to me.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:42 pm

thebish wrote: as i have said before - i really don't think anyone should bother with managers' comments to the press - it's is almost always a non-story - and players... load of tit, the lot of them.
Unless of course people look at the manager's bullshittery in the context of 3 wins at home all season, -5 goal difference and 28 points from 25 games.

In the Championship.

He's the worst I can remember, yet people still defend him.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:How is saying that you like to give strikers (note he is talking about strikers specifically here) a run of games to get confidence and hopefully goals controversial at all?
If he'd said that, it wouldn't have been controversial but you know he didn't. He said "I tell my strikers they will play 90 minutes over the next 6 games". That's an utterly pointless thing to say because it doesn't take into consideration form. What if a striker misses 8 easy chances in his first two games? Does he still get picked in the next four, and if so, why? Surely that attitude would that attitude lead to complacency? It also means that for any other strikers, what is the point in them working hard in training if they know someone else is guaranteed to be playing instead?

What he said reminded me of David Brent far more than Alex Ferguson. It was bullshit manager speak that, at best, is just hot air and at worst, shows a complete misunderstanding of management.

You stated he would be a better manager than Sam Allardyce though, so I'm not surprised you'll defend his nonsense.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
thebish wrote:

(not sure how any of us can have a really clear opinion on "what he does"
Actually, it appears that some people do.

Maybe one day they'll let us into the secret of what a football manager does beyond coaching the team that could take so much time and effort to garner no discernible results.
Our target was to go straight back up last year which we failed in - but we had a shit start, so DF gets some leeway, our target is to go up this year, but we had the worst start in 100 years, and which we're failing in. Not sure how much more leeway he should get. I don't mind what he does particularly, as long as it achieves the target he's been set.
Out of interest how do you know promotion was the target this season?
Seriously? I mean you think the conversation went something like this

"Hi Dougie, we've looked at what we need to achieve this year.

1) We need to ensure we're handily placed for FFP when it comes in

2) As a result, it doesn't matter if we don't get promoted, because this season we still have a huge wage bill compared to most teams"

I mean really? Can you see that conversation happening?

If so, you are one of Santa's Elves and Father Christmas is a generous boss. I claim my £5.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Then he'd drop them? He's not signed a contract with them! It's just an expression to say you'll get a run.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Are we still talking toilet paper here?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:Then he'd drop them? He's not signed a contract with them! It's just an expression to say you'll get a run.
Yes I think the player will assume he has to at least look like he is doing his job properly for that 'promise' to be kept.

Is that a veiled excuse for dropping Beckford after he's found some scoring form for Mason who looked like a fish out of water but kept his place for a number of games?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:39 pm

He is very confusing with what he comes out with, which is made worse with the shite his teams serve up.

We seem to have a con man chancer as our manager.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:49 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:"I tell my strikers they will play 90 minutes over the next 6 games".
Might that not be construed as simply "I tell my strikers that they'll get a game over the next six games"? You seem to think that he's promising his strikers 6 x 90 minutes, I'm not sure he is.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:55 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:"I tell my strikers they will play 90 minutes over the next 6 games".
Might that not be construed as simply "I tell my strikers that they'll get a game over the next six games"? You seem to think that he's promising his strikers 6 x 90 minutes, I'm not sure he is.
...or 15 minutes a match, every match. Or 45 minutes every third match. Or, he's just talking bollocks again.
I know which one my money's on.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください