If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Post by Enoch » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:You'll all be begging me to accept your apologies at the end of this title winning season!
I'm still with Plymouth. I mean who could possibly not be with such a claim as the one above?
"Tallest Dwarf" is a title.

As I guess is "Shortest Dwarf"?

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:14 pm

thebish wrote:
Staffs wrote:I note in the BN transfer blog, the comment from Iles, that Medo and Spearing are top earners. Know its all relative, but absolutely no doubt IMO, that NL has a tougher job on his hands than the last few incumbents.
^ that's as mebbe - but it is the job he took on - eyes wide open...

I expect him to be a good manager of what we've got and bring the best out of the squad at his disposal. I don't think bottom three or hovering just above is the best that can be got from this squad - I think we should be half way up the league - that, I will judge as success... and there's PLENTY of time to achieve that! COYW!!!
Except you have no idea of what lennon knew, assumed or was told when he took the job on, other than as he said at the time, to paraphrase the cliche, it was a big challenge that he was looking forward to.

I agree that we are better than our position would suggest and am pretty confident that we will show that.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:16 pm

wigan white wrote: Pitchforks and Anti-Plymouth bedsheets at the ready!!! :doh:
Bedsheets, man? Plymouth won't have seen anything quite like it since the Spanish Armada were last in town. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
wigan white wrote: Pitchforks and Anti-Plymouth bedsheets at the ready!!! :doh:
Bedsheets, man? Plymouth won't have seen anything quite like it since the Spanish Armada were last in town. :)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:23 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
thebish wrote:
Staffs wrote:I note in the BN transfer blog, the comment from Iles, that Medo and Spearing are top earners. Know its all relative, but absolutely no doubt IMO, that NL has a tougher job on his hands than the last few incumbents.

I expect him to be a good manager of what we've got and bring the best out of the squad at his disposal. I don't think bottom three or hovering just above is the best that can be got from this squad - I think we should be half way up the league - that, I will judge as success... and there's PLENTY of time to achieve that! COYW!!!
Except you have no idea of what lennon knew, assumed or was told when he took the job on, other than as he said at the time, to paraphrase the cliche, it was a big challenge that he was looking forward to.

I agree that we are better than our position would suggest and am pretty confident that we will show that.
Give over, everyone knew we were skint when he took over. Either:

a) He knew about it;

or b) he did absolutely no research at all.

I mean, it's a), it's definitely a) but even if it is b) he gets no sympathy on that front.

It's a tough job, but he signed up for it. Still plenty of time before I get worried he's not up to it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:25 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
thebish wrote:

I'm not sure he has a harder job than Freedman had (although I think he's a better Manager). Lennon looks to have one or two players outside of our affordable wage structure, neither of whom have featured heavily in his plans so far. Freedman had to play players who knew they needed to be moved on - that looks like a real tough gig to keep folks motivated to me...

I still reckon our salary structure will be at least mid-table - so you would broadly expect that's where we'd land...

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Prufrock wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
thebish wrote:

a) He knew about it;

I mean, it's a), it's definitely a) but even if it is b) he gets no sympathy on that front.

It's a tough job, but he signed up for it. Still plenty of time before I get worried he's not up to it.
TBF, there's a difference to having a "limited budget" and having no feckin money at all. NL stated that he knew he was working to a "Limited Budget", but do we actually know whether he was told when he signed that he wouldnt have enough money to pay someone £5k per week? Even last season, would any of us not have been shocked if it had come out that we couldn't even afford to pay someone £5k a week this season, even after getting rid of Mills, Ream, C.Davies etc???
Last edited by wigan white on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:26 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
thebish wrote:

I think it was pretty widely know that we were financially up the shitty-creek without the paddly-thing! If he didn't know or realise that - then he failed badly at knowing what he was applying for! I'm not having it that he was promised huge bags of transfer cash... of course we don't KNOW that - but... nahhh - not having that! If he simply ASSUMED he'd get big piles of cash to spend - then he's a daft fecker!!

it seems we are in happy agreement that we should be doing better than our league position now - and (like you) I remain confident that Lenny will see us doing better than this...

COYW!!! :D

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:31 pm

wigan white wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
thebish wrote:

a) He knew about it;

TBF, there's a difference to having a "limited budget" and having no feckin money at all. NL stated that he knew he was working to a "Limited Budget", but do we actually know whether he was told when he signed that he wouldnt have enough money to pay someone £5k per week? Even last season, would any of us not have been shocked if it had come out that we couldn't even afford to pay someone £5k a week this season, even after getting rid of Mills, Ream, C.Davies etc???
Bearing in mind our income is public knowledge and showed no signs of increasing, there's absolutely no excuse for Lennon not knowing exactly where we were at
Sto ut Serviam

Heat666
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Heat666 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:42 pm

BURNLEY have cancelled the contract of striker Marvin Sordell by mutual consent.

Would you have him back???
Check out my House mixes too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD3aHG ... SZ6kZOHjtQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:43 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:I note in the BN transfer blog, the comment from Iles, that Medo and Spearing are top earners. Know its all relative, but absolutely no doubt IMO, that NL has a tougher job on his hands than the last few incumbents.
Depends, he gets an easier time of it in terms of expectations and also hasn't had the long period of waiting for expensive players to leave.

I think we've been very difficult to manage since coming down. One of the harder jobs around. And for sure it isn't getting easier. It probably isn't much different to when Allardyce arrived, though sadly Sam is a bit of a one off and a better manager than any we've had since.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:47 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Bearing in mind our income is public knowledge and showed no signs of increasing, there's absolutely no excuse for Lennon not knowing exactly where we were at
Yes but when he signed, he'd have been told about the financial situation at the time and possibly projected situation for the future, but as NL said near the end of the season, he hadn't been told what his summer budget would be, showing that what he was originally told upon his signing may have changed. It appears that our financial situation is far worse than any of us knew (possibly including NL as don't forget, he's the manager of the team, not a finance guru). Realistically, did any of us think towards the end of the season that we'd be at a point where we can't pay someone £5k a week even though we've got rid of a few of our high earners?

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:51 pm

So let me follow this. Before taking us on NL should have had a small army of due diligence guys, going over the books and the playing staff, and secured written guarantees and crystal ball based future commitments on everything connected with both these aspects. If he did this, its now his own fault. If he didn't, its now his own fault. Tough crowd.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:54 pm

"We'll go with what we've got"....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:58 pm

wigan white wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
Yes but when he signed, he'd have been told about the financial situation at the time and possibly projected situation for the future, but as NL said near the end of the season, he hadn't been told what his summer budget would be, showing that what he was originally told upon his signing may have changed. It appears that our financial situation is far worse than any of us knew (possibly including NL as don't forget, he's the manager of the team, not a finance guru). Realistically, did any of us think towards the end of the season that we'd be at a point where we can't pay someone £5k a week even though we've got rid of a few of our high earners?
There might not have been a conversation around, we can't afford £<insert number here> per week, but I'm fairly sure there will have been dialogue around overall spending plans at a high level - y'know we currently spend £30.5m on salaries (2014 Accounts) - we need to get that down to £15m <or whatever>....By the way that's still more than X Championship sides yadda, yadda...

On Transfers, we might be able to make £Y available if you sell folks - otherwise there's nowt...

I don't we're significantly "far worse" than anyone expected/knew - in fact, I didn't expect us to get inside the FFP tolerance, but Gartside said we would and we did...

You don't set budget 12 months out...so no real surprise he didn't know what it would be...As for Financial Guru, my 12 year old can understand "you had £x for spends, you've spent £y out of it so you've got nowt left"..

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:59 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:So let me follow this. Before taking us on NL should have had a small army of due diligence guys, going over the books and the playing staff, and secured written guarantees and crystal ball based future commitments on everything connected with both these aspects. If he did this, its now his own fault. If he didn't, its now his own fault. Tough crowd.
Not what I'm saying - but if you think he didn't know the general picture, then I think you're wrong.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:You don't set budget 12 months out...so no real surprise he didn't know what it would be...As for Financial Guru, my 12 year old can understand "you had £x for spends, you've spent £y out of it so you've got nowt left"..
Only if you had £x for spends and spent £x would you have nowt left, Shirley .... except in the unlikely event that x = y. Should y be greater than x then you've, in fact, overspent and could be in dire straits.

C'mon ... I expect more than this from you Worthy.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:09 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:You don't set budget 12 months out...so no real surprise he didn't know what it would be...As for Financial Guru, my 12 year old can understand "you had £x for spends, you've spent £y out of it so you've got nowt left"..
Only if you had £x for spends and spent £x would you have nowt left, Shirley .... except in the unlikely event that x = y. Should y be greater than x then you've, in fact, overspent and could be in dire straits.

:D beat me to it!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:10 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

See - it is possible that non-Finance Guru's get the broad concept. :mrgreen:

Even Pru should get it eventually....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:17 pm

I'm in emergency training after Bish's shock retirement :D