Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:59 pm

Doesn't strike me that we're currently really hard pressed, given we've been tying players to longer contracts and turned down a serious bid for GT...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:59 pm
Doesn't strike me that we're currently really hard pressed, given we've been tying players to longer contracts and turned down a serious bid for GT...
I mean we accepted the big for GT. He turned it down.

I don’t think we are hard pressed in that way. But at some point we need to make money to pay back investors….or offer promise that those investments will really strike it rich soon (as in premier league money and exposure). Nobody is putting money in without expecting some form of return.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:01 pm

There goes £5m :lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:04 pm

Much happier about that one than GT :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:09 pm

Generally although the wider financial position of the club is critical I’m with DSB that Charles was virtually irreplaceable. I think his press and then pace and finishing as a combo would be nigh on impossible to find something close.

I do also think he might struggle a level up. But we need to get there to find out.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:09 pm
Generally although the wider financial position of the club is critical I’m with DSB that Charles was virtually irreplaceable. I think his press and then pace and finishing as a combo would be nigh on impossible to find something close.

I do also think he might struggle a level up. But we need to get there to find out.
I agree, but I think he deserves the right to try it with us. If we do go up, I hope we don't piddle about with Jeromes and Nlundulus, but (assuming he continues as he has been playing) we'd have to sign a lot of good strikers for Dion not to be in the front two at season's start.

Good news, this. It may only be adding 12 months to a contreact which still had 22 months to run, but we know football and finance are different than those bare numbers suggest.

And good news is in itself good news after a genuinely shocking result followed by one which did little to heal divisions or rebuild faith. With Boro, deadline and Derby to come, here's hoping it starts a good week.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:56 pm

A quick note, as I've just been updating the Contract Expiry bit and noticed Zac Ashworth is underage for this dseason. I make it we have 21 overage outfielders including Sadlier, John and Johnston, none of whom might be registered for various reasons; if none of them are, that leaves us with four squad spaces. Just in case anyone was wondering or worrying...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:58 pm
Looks like Charles has signed a new deal so TD can put the pitch forks away!
ERIN GO BRAUGH :grin: .....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:01 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

I don’t think we are hard pressed in that way. But at some point we need to make money to pay back investors….or offer promise that those investments will really strike it rich soon (as in premier league money and exposure). Nobody is putting money in without expecting some form of return.
We actually don't. They said that in the offer documents. (Although I suspect it wouldn't go down too well :-) ).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:35 pm

Transfer deadline week, so of course I've been having a little nosy to see who clubs have been playing (or not) and might look to offload this week. I've started with a look round northern Champo clubs.

Huddersfield’s Neil Warnock will be sending folk out: “Yeah, there's quite a few … one or two lads, I think have got to go out on loan, so I'm working on probably three or four lads going out on loan as long as we can get a couple in." They've since signed Rotherham midfielder Ben Wiles so one option might be SCOTT HIGH, the 22-year-old who was loaned to Rotherham last season and hasn't been in a Championship matchday squad this season (he came on at halftime in the League Cup loss to Boro). An energetic runner and tidy passer, he's probably an Evatt type (and Markham may know a man who's been at the Terriers since age 9) - although at 5ft 10 he may be a foot shorter than our fanbase would like.

Another possibility is AARON ROWE as a utility wingback. The Londoner, 23 next month, has played a variety of roles on both sides. Was a Champo regular in 20/21 but has dropped out of the picture since; loaned to Stockport last season. Outside bet, and one which you imagine would generate a lukewarm response - but then, so did Kevin Davies, etc.

Perhaps surprised to find themselves in the bottom three, Middlesbrough might not fancy blooding youngsters, even if they've just signed from Man City. As such, TERRELL AGYEMANG – a versatile 20-year-old who, according to MEN City reporter Joe Bray, is "willing to get up and down the flanks" but has also played as defensive midfielder – might be an intriguing squad thickener for the Wanderers.

Journo Darren Witcoop has tipped two to leave Stoke. LEWIS BAKER is the club captain and a regular goalscorer but has dropped away under Alex Neil; 28, so nice and experienced, but equally may be beyond our payscale. D'MARGIO WRIGHT-PHILLIPS - Ian's grandson – has played both wings and No.10 so he might be the "dribbly wingback" option. Another option might be LIAM McCARRON, a Preston-born left-winger who has also played LWB and LB, which would free Randell up to switch sides if need be.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:15 pm

There's no guarantees but I think Dion would do well a league up. You look at someone like Adam Armstrong who's done very well up there. Bustle and harry and a bit of pace get you a long way.

The Prem would be a horror show, but I'll happily take that problem :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:01 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

We actually don't. They said that in the offer documents. (Although I suspect it wouldn't go down too well :-) ).
I don’t mean the club bond. I mean the various investors…Pink Floyd man, Swiss peeps, Lucock himself…

It’s fair to say none of those are here to bankroll the club forever without return or significant promise of something…

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:24 am

I doubt Nick Mason will need what was believed to be a relatively small amount back any time soon.

Could've sworn I read most if not all loans had been converted to equity...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:30 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:24 am
I doubt Nick Mason will need what was believed to be a relatively small amount back any time soon.

As I understand it older stuff has. But there was a round of investments over the last year, I think Mason, Lucock (and) his Swiss investors all stuck money in.

The plan may be to convert to equity but that’s my point. If that IS the plan people don’t want equity in a league one entity! They’ve invested to see that mature.

The 5 year business plan iirc was to be in the championship by next season.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:01 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:30 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:24 am

As I understand it older stuff has. But there was a round of investments over the last year, I think Mason, Lucock (and) his Swiss investors all stuck money in.

The plan may be to convert to equity but that’s my point. If that IS the plan people don’t want equity in a league one entity! They’ve invested to see that mature.

The 5 year business plan iirc was to be in the championship by next season.
The dosh they put in, they got equity for, £2.8m roughly £1m Ian Riley and £1.8m BMLL Ltd.... Lucock was earlier so already converted. Mason as far as we know is in for pocket money...(he has no equity)..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:52 am

I'd say if things finish as they are without some more outfield players this hasn't been a good window.

I expected at least 2 more from where we sit now and I think some of the signings have been the opposite of what we needed. I don't think the January window was great either.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:23 am

I think whether it's been a good window, needs more time to assess. If it gets us up, then de facto, it's going to be a stretch to call it poor. Bearing in mind, he could buy some players you like, in January. If we're in the top 2 at end of December or a minimal amount of points below- I'm thinking less than three, then it's probably been pretty good.

I do agree we're still short on cover for RWB and in MF. So overall, I wouldn't expect much difference to last season at the moment. There will be enough sides like Burton where our frailty shows. Being able to beat a side 3-0 that you beat 2-0 the previous season gets you no extra points.

I do doubt many are rolling out the HMS based on so far. I also think the chances of Evatt siging your sort of players (or some of mine) might be fairly slim. :-)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:37 am

I'd be quite surprised if we don't end up bringing in at least one more outfield player. I thought it very likely that we'd try to repeat our success with Trafford and Bradley by taking promising youngsters from 'Big 6' academies, and maybe there are still some of those deals cooking. Of course, perhaps there aren't the right sorts available this year, but you'd certainly think that City and Liverpool, if not other clubs, would be very willing to send decent players our way.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:44 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:23 am
I think whether it's been a good window, needs more time to assess. If it gets us up, then de facto, it's going to be a stretch to call it poor. Bearing in mind, he could buy some players you like, in January. If we're in the top 2 at end of December or a minimal amount of points below- I'm thinking less than three, then it's probably been pretty good.

I do agree we're still short on cover for RWB and in MF. So overall, I wouldn't expect much difference to last season at the moment. There will be enough sides like Burton where our frailty shows. Being able to beat a side 3-0 that you beat 2-0 the previous season gets you no extra points.

I do doubt many are rolling out the HMS based on so far. I also think the chances of Evatt siging your sort of players (or some of mine) might be fairly slim. :-)
Yeah but this is put your money where your mouth is view. If I'm wrong and we sail to the league title then all's the better.

Of course we assess based on the longer term this season and where we end up.

But as it stands my feeling is we're quite short and lots of the signings haven't actually added what we needed or improved us.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:46 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:23 am

You and your "patience" and "long view". Catastrophisation is MUCH more attention-grabbing. :mrgreen:

I do think it's a big week. In this window it was always gonna be hard to replace our two best players; but that's the gig. Baxter probably as good as we can expect. Early signs are that the we've brought in some Decent Squad Types – JDC, Ashworth, Forrester, Coleman – and a couple of Potential Gamechangers (CMG, Maghoma). Up front is a worry, with the two summer re-signings (Dadi & Dan) not yet proving a threat for various reasons which might have been deemed predictable (injury, ineptness).

Clearly Sadlier and John are dead men walking so I want them out and replaced; maybe with one wingback, preferably one who can switch (as and Randell, remember), and another Type in midfield (you know the type I mean). I would also not be astonished to see us borrow a young attacker from a higher-division club - one who might also function as a very attacking wingback.

But I would definitely say we need a new face or two. Or some old faces to step up.....