Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:57 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:46 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:23 am
I think whether it's been a good window, needs more time to assess. If it gets us up, then de facto, it's going to be a stretch to call it poor. Bearing in mind, he could buy some players you like, in January. If we're in the top 2 at end of December or a minimal amount of points below- I'm thinking less than three, then it's probably been pretty good.

I do agree we're still short on cover for RWB and in MF. So overall, I wouldn't expect much difference to last season at the moment. There will be enough sides like Burton where our frailty shows. Being able to beat a side 3-0 that you beat 2-0 the previous season gets you no extra points.

I do doubt many are rolling out the HMS based on so far. I also think the chances of Evatt siging your sort of players (or some of mine) might be fairly slim. :-)
You and your "patience" and "long view". Catastrophisation is MUCH more attention-grabbing. :mrgreen:

I do think it's a big week. In this window it was always gonna be hard to replace our two best players; but that's the gig. Baxter probably as good as we can expect. Early signs are that the we've brought in some Decent Squad Types – JDC, Ashworth, Forrester, Coleman – and a couple of Potential Gamechangers (CMG, Maghoma). Up front is a worry, with the two summer re-signings (Dadi & Dan) not yet proving a threat for various reasons which might have been deemed predictable (injury, ineptness).

Clearly Sadlier and John are dead men walking so I want them out and replaced; maybe with one wingback, preferably one who can switch (as and Randell, remember), and another Type in midfield (you know the type I mean). I would also not be astonished to see us borrow a young attacker from a higher-division club - one who might also function as a very attacking wingback.

But I would definitely say we need a new face or two. Or some old faces to step up.....
I keep heading back to the 4 or 5 more comment, since which, we did 4. And the "plan" thing that occasionally comes up. It strikes me that there is a plan (and probably a pretty detailed one) and someone like, for example, JCH ain't on it. Evatt strikes me that he'd much rather "trust the process" than make an impulse signing and hope he could make it work..

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:00 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:57 am
I keep heading back to the 4 or 5 more comment, since which, we did 4. And the "plan" thing that occasionally comes up. It strikes me that there is a plan (and probably a pretty detailed one) and someone like, for example, JCH ain't on it. Evatt strikes me that he'd much rather "trust the process" than make an impulse signing and hope he could make it work..
Agree with all that, bar a lingering suspicion of a caveat that the 4 or 5 might rise if there were outgoings. Clearly Sadlier and John are surplus, but do we really think that if they both leave he'll be content to "go with what we've got"?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:05 am

Worthy4England wrote:

I don't doubt there is a plan. I don't doubt that we've turned down JCH (as reported by Peterborough) because he doesn't fit our plan.

The question is a judgement as to whether its right or not. I personally would question the last few windows - I think we've got a few things wrong and I don't think we've got a 'top two' side right now - but I could be wrong. Evatt and Markham who know a lot more than I do could be right. We'll find out.

Top 2 requires a lot of consistency and ability to win games in different ways and I think we're very much 'one way' without enough adaptability. Its also almost entirely reliant on Charles and that worries me. We've not added the quality up top I think we could have. And the midfield is problematic still as is wing back.

Evatt has a plan and all we can do is hope that plan works and we finish as champions or runners up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:08 am

Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:00 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Agree with all that, bar a lingering suspicion of a caveat that the 4 or 5 might rise if there were outgoings. Clearly Sadlier and John are surplus, but do we really think that if they both leave he'll be content to "go with what we've got"?
Mea culpa. Aye, we might look to replace an outgoing. I'm beginning to think it might be a tad unlikely, they're sorta like a bad whiff in the kitchen at this point, which is a shame because I don't dislike either... :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:14 am

Just looking at transfers incoming to D3 clubs over the past few days, and there's definitely stuff happening as clubs above us decree players surplus to their requirements:
Ryan Allsop [Cardiff - Hull] Undisclosed
Jadel Katongo [Manchester City - Peterborough] Loan
Cameron Peupion [Brighton - Cheltenham] Loan
Steven Sessegnon [Fulham - Wigan] Free
Owen Bevan [Bournemouth - Cheltenham] Loan
Taylor Clark [Needham Market - Wycombe] Free
Alfie Devine [Tottenham - Port Vale] Loan
Tyrese Fornah [Nottingham Forest - Derby] Undisclosed
Joe Gubbins [QPR - Accrington] Loan
Kylian Kouassi [Sutton - Blackpool] Free
Sonny Perkins [Leeds - Oxford United] Loan
Jordan Rhodes [Huddersfield - Blackpool] Loan
Ryan Woods [Hull - Bristol Rovers] Loan
Tyreece John-Jules [Arsenal - Derby] Loan
Greg Leigh [Ipswich - Oxford] Undisclosed
John McAtee [Luton - Barnsley] Loan
Kieran Phillips [Huddersfield - Shrewsbury] Undisclosed
Chem Campbell [Wolves - Charlton] Loan
Terry Ablade [Fulham - Carlisle] Loan

I note that Nesta Guinness-Walker is being frozen out at Reading, with Selles giving it the usual "he'll have to fight his way back in" spiel. I mentioned him very early in the window - but somehow managed to miss that he's the grandson of Alec Guinness...
Fri May 05, 2023 4:16 pm
NESTA GUINNESS-WALKER is interesting. The 23-year-old only signed for Reading last year, on a free from AFC Wimbledon (82 League One games across three seasons), after impressing on trial. He's fought with Chelsea loanee Baba Rahman for the left wingback slot, and impressed Reading fanzine The Tilehurst End ("great lung-busting overlaps... stretching the defence," "has shown his attacking quality and given Reading an outlet to get the ball to deliver crosses"). Whether the Twickenham lad would fancy the move north is up for debate, but he fought his way up through non-league with Met Police – something Evatt would approve of.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:44 pm

Thanks, DSB. I haven’t been paying attention at all, but some of those signings are pretty eye catching. Some of our peers are certainly getting stronger.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:03 am

If we hadn't worked it out, John and Sadlier are transfer-listed: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... lier-sale/
“There’s no point me sitting here and saying they are not available for transfer, they absolutely are, but again it is their decision... We are not going to force anyone out of the door.

“At the moment we have not selected them so it is their choice whether they decide to move on. You have seen the really good squad of players we have, the bench we have, so they can read into that what they will.

“The facts are we are not the type of club to mistreat someone or to force people out, it is always going to be their decision to stay. If they do, they will have to get their heads down to get into my thoughts and selection.”

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:18 am

Bit surprised about Sadlier as he can be a useful sub, but que-sera. Nor sure how cunning plans and plots take priority over a "get stuck-in-and-play-football rule. Very Blackadder, or maybe the team are learning the fish-slapping dance? :pissed:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:35 am

Couple of other bits in that link.

Orient's DoF Martin Ling confirms what we already guessed - that Sadlier's wages are too high for them, but a compromise might be reached:

“Kieran is one of about three names we are looking at, I am not denying that, but we have got other irons in the fire as well. You never know. Kieran is there, we know what he is, and at the moment he has a contract at Bolton that we couldn’t match if I am totally honest. There is some talk about them giving him some money to go, and then it might be of more interest than it is at the moment.”

Also, the surfacing of the (possible) "goalie only" quote:

“Things change in football really fast – and I never say never – but at the moment we are looking at the goalkeeping department, that might be the only thing we want to strengthen in terms of incomings but there might be outgoings.”

One can dive too far into tealeaf-reading, but that's a worry. I would still be surprised if we don't get another outfielder in, and I'm now steeling myself to add disappointment, mistrust and possibly a touch of anger. If we want to be top-two we really can't afford another first half-season of levels dropping with the daylight hours.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:39 am

Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:35 am

One can dive too far into tealeaf-reading, but that's a worry. I would still be surprised if we don't get another outfielder in, and I'm now steeling myself to add disappointment, mistrust and possibly a touch of anger. If we want to be top-two we really can't afford another first half-season of levels dropping with the daylight hours.
Trusttheprocess. Or something.

I think everyone is surprised we aren’t adding more. Pre game Tuesday Iles said he would be surprised if we didn’t add another couple pre deadline.

There are two obvious issues. Midfield balance. And complete lack of real wing back cover. I wouldn’t mind so much on the latter if we had some system flexibility but Evatt seems to stick quite rigidly to it until the point of no return.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:52 am

My clinging to hope is that it's some sort of ruse linked to John and Sads going and two WBs coming in.

I suspect Evatt and Markham really buy into the value they're always talking about and don't think there's value for money out there.

For me that's short sighted. We're committed to a system that heavily relies on wing backs and we've got two that he really fancies, and then several make to options. Going to be a fun few months of Sads and John go AND we don't replace them.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:39 am
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:35 am
There are two obvious issues. Midfield balance. And complete lack of real wing back cover. I wouldn’t mind so much on the latter if we had some system flexibility but Evatt seems to stick quite rigidly to it until the point of no return.
yeah. The system thing is odd considering he says he'd rather play a back four, which we couldn't really do with the current squad. I would love us to be able to switch mid-game, it would make us harder to play against. Although I know formations are flexible and we often end up in something that looks nothing like a 3-5-2.

Midfield I think we have some good players, but they need to be employed wisely. I still fear we have nobody that will get the fans excited when they see him coming on - no gamechangers or "finishers" to use the recent substitute parlance.

And at wingback we're just very thin indeed – astonishingly so considering how previous shortages there have threatened to derail some of Evatt's seasons, notably the first one (remember Gethin at LWB and Brocky at RWB?) and his second (Liam Gordon on the right!). I have no quibble with the exits of John & Sadlier but they have to trigger incomings, even if only loanees.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:19 am

If by close of business tomorrow we end up in a situation where both Sadlier and John remain with no further additions, or both leave and there are no further additions, I would be pretty frigging concerned.

I struggle to imagine that Evatt and Markham aren't looking to bring in at least one more wing back regardless of what else happens. Surely there are lads at big academies we could get that would be better options than Geth et al?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:35 am

No 2 footed wing-backs available to cover both sides?? ;-)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:36 am

Given where we are at I still say that without a couple more outfield additions the last two windows haven’t been strong enough for where our expectations are. Evatt says judge in May which is fair enough but I’m looking at Saturday and wondering how we perm a team strong enough to beat Derby. And that’s not a great place to be.

Squad is one thing I just don’t believe we have a first choice 11 or whatever you term it good enough to be confident or even hopeful we are one of the best two teams in this league.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:42 am

Derby will always be a tough game. Would be the same if we were five points clear at the top in March. There'll always be question marks. Warne's teams are like the bigger boys in the playground - and he has history of being the cock of the league, so to speak.

We have a good 15 or so, but I'm not sure we can answer all questions. I just don't think for instance we have hired this season's equivalent of Finn Azaz, Bali Mumba or Morgan Whittaker – or, come to that, Trafford or Bradley.

Such loans are always a crapshoot – for every Bradley an Elbouzedi. But i see deals like Pompey borrowing Tino Anjorin and I think, if I'm itching to gamble, how must Evatt feel? That's some strong trust he has in the process.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:50 am

Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:42 am
Derby will always be a tough game. Would be the same if we were five points clear at the top in March. There'll always be question marks. Warne's teams are like the bigger boys in the playground - and he has history of being the cock of the league, so to speak.

We have a good 15 or so, but I'm not sure we can answer all questions. I just don't think for instance we have hired this season's equivalent of Finn Azaz, Bali Mumba or Morgan Whittaker – or, come to that, Trafford or Bradley.
Yeah agree with that. I just feel that the major areas where we needed to improve from last season haven’t been. Maghoma I think is one where potentially he could be an improvement. But we might not see that in full till mid way through. JDC has much better delivery than Bradley and I think our wins against less adventurous opposition early partially reflect our ability to deliver from wide areas better. So that’s good.

But the counter is we’ve lost the energy and running of Bradley that arguably compensated for the way we play with more advanced wide centre halves and now two number 8’s pressing on with his ability to recover situations in behind.

Trafford always was an impossible replacement. Baxter seems ok to me. Not amazing. But ok. Shot stopping looks great (bar Wigan) but distribution and control of his area definitely a step below. He will I think improve though.

All round I look at the fact we’ve lost Lee and MJ and whilst I think we needed to replace both the fact is we’ve replaced neither. Lees know how was critical in games like Saturday and for me is sorely missed. MJ obviously second half covered centre back but we at least had an option for a screen in some games or even for the last ten minutes. We all said we needed a more mobile more progressive version but haven’t recruited one.

Up front I feel we aren’t any better off really but that’s no huge surprise.

CMG has the look of a player who really wants to play in a system we don’t play.

It’s not all doom and gloom and disastrous but I personally struggle at this moment in time to see a top two finish in a league that demands consistency and finding ways to win games week in week out against a variety of challenges. I think we are short.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:55 am

Maghoma and CMG are the signings that give me the most hope, but we need them to settle in fast.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:31 pm

I'm actually not very surprised, in that this is what I expected. He shows great faith/trust in our signings generally to the extent I could see him convincing himself Maghoma was the "answer" to our central MF, whereas we were probably expecting gnarled old pro of some description.

I think he'll be OK with 10 points from 5 games as that would get us to 90/91 points.

I think it's looking tougher than maybe he does and we're still light especially with 2 frozen out players...

God bless this ship and all who sail on her.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:02 pm

Yeah, I share the same pessimism at this point. Need a few bodies in. At least one young WB, GK cover, and maybe a striker.

I've not managed to watch a single game yet this season (see also: our 8 month-old can crawl) – so what's the consensus on CMG so far? I was excited when he joined, and figured as he played a decent bit of football at Morecambe last year he would slot right in. Is he not quite up to our high fitness standards yet, or have we not played him in his favoured position?