Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:13 am

if an entire football team did, in fact, trot out onto the pitch with "smiles on their faces" - I, for one, would think it was a bit creepy...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:14 pm

thebish wrote:if an entire football team did, in fact, trot out onto the pitch with "smiles on their faces" - I, for one, would think it was a bit creepy...
Better that than flipping folk the middle finger!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:39 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
thebish wrote:if an entire football team did, in fact, trot out onto the pitch with "smiles on their faces" - I, for one, would think it was a bit creepy...
Better that than flipping folk the middle finger!
with smiles on their faces....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:31 pm

I know there's a Wanderers Photo's thread, just couldn't find it.

.... a mate sent me this. No Normid, yet no sleepers & shale. Which dates it in a range. Plus that LOOKS like Jim McDonagh in goal.

Lovely day. Very thin 'away supporters' numbers & can't see any colours on them.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:There's more chance of Megson or Freedman coming back than Allardyce. Give your head a shake for even entertaining the notion!
As manager aye. But can you not see Sam coming in as a Director of Football or somesuch? I can. Not next season maybe, but if his mates Deano and Anderson stick around and want to pay him....I reckon it is on the cards in the future put it that way.
Can't see that either: it doesn't pay enough money (or more accurately, we won't pay him enough at this level); he's a manager through and through so I can't see him taking a more backroom job without direct control of the team; and why would he leave Sunderland even if they are relegated? They'll have more finances than we will have, and will be amongst the favourites to go right back up. And that's not even a certainty, they may yet avoid the drop.
Yeah he will stay at Sunderland next season. But he's probably done as much as he can as a manager. And he lives in Bolton. And is mates with our owners. I can see him back in some role, semi-retirement type thing. He gets to live at home, get paid for less stress and basically wind down.

I can see that appealing, if the parts are all in place at the right time.

Ian Dowie still lives in Bolton..........

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:51 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Image

.... a mate sent me this. No Normid, yet no sleepers & shale. Which dates it in a range. Plus that LOOKS like Jim McDonagh in goal.

Lovely day. Very thin 'away supporters' numbers & can't see any colours on them.
Got me stumped that. No segregation if that shows the away end, or it was narrower than I remember if it was taken from in the visitors bit. It could well be McDonagh but then it looks like one of the spectators is wearing a bowler hat (odd hairstyle, clockwork orange fan?)
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:20 pm

One thing is becoming clearer. JP should sadly not be getting the job.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:59 pm

The pic is probably pre 1975 because that's when Magees ( sign on the stand roof) got taken over by Greenhall Whitley, although I don't know when the sign disappeared. I saved the image and blew it up a bit and the "bowler hat", I think is a trilby. We played in all white socks from 1966-1962 so that doesan't help but we played with a stripe down the shorts ( which the keeper looks to have) from 1976 onwards. Bad day on the embankment but the stand looks pretty full. The embankment part where Normid was, was sold in 1986 so I guess the pic was pre that. Maybe the old commentary box on the roof of the stand is a clue. Not sure when that ceased to be?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Image

Got me stumped that. No segregation if that shows the away end, or it was narrower than I remember if it was taken from in the visitors bit. It could well be McDonagh but then it looks like one of the spectators is wearing a bowler hat (odd hairstyle, clockwork orange fan?)
That picture doesn't show the true extent of the embankment, it was huge the photo only shows the bottom half

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:20 pm

Just had to post this after reading around som e old Burnden sites...The late, great Dave Higson....

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/118 ... _years_on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:14 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Ian Dowie still lives in Bolton..........
Where is Dan? He's be wetting himself at the prospect of Aidy Boothroyd :|

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:36 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: Maybe the old commentary box on the roof of the stand is a clue.
Now then, I remember this. The TV box was erected on the Manny Road roof ahead of us playing West Brom in 75/76. We were on MotD for the first time in my life. There was a big white clock there before that
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: Maybe the old commentary box on the roof of the stand is a clue.
Now then, I remember this. The TV box was erected on the Manny Road roof ahead of us playing West Brom in 75/76. We were on MotD for the first time in my life. There was a big white clock there before that
Switched this to the Trotters pics thread, Bruce.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Ah. Cheers Chief
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Phil Brown has just pretty much issued a 'come and get me' plea on that championship programme. I can't imagine the Southend board will have been impressed

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:11 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Phil Brown has just pretty much issued a 'come and get me' plea on that championship programme. I can't imagine the Southend board will have been impressed
This was lined up by Holdsworth before sports shield even bought the club. No need for come and get me's. Up to Brown to sort out getting out of Southend.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Phil Brown has just pretty much issued a 'come and get me' plea on that championship programme. I can't imagine the Southend board will have been impressed
This was lined up by Holdsworth before sports shield even bought the club. No need for come and get me's. Up to Brown to sort out getting out of Southend.
I suspect this is his attempt to get out. Irritate the board enough to either sack him or let him go for a knockdown price.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:32 am

I'd like to throw Phil Parkinson's hat into the ring.

Knows the lower divisions very well.
Pulled Bradford out of the doldrums.
Plenty of experience.
Currently sitting 3rd in League 1 - won their last 4 matches 1-0.
Surely worth considering?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:40 am

enrdentw wrote:I'd like to throw Phil Parkinson's hat into the ring.

Plenty of experience.
I'be heard worse (and wilder) ideas. Chorley lad, 48. Trouble is, he and three key backroom boys have only just signed contracts to 2018.
http://mobile.bradfordcityfc.co.uk//new ... 80241.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:52 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
enrdentw wrote:I'd like to throw Phil Parkinson's hat into the ring.

Plenty of experience.
I'be heard worse (and wilder) ideas. Chorley lad, 48. Trouble is, he and three key backroom boys have only just signed contracts to 2018.
http://mobile.bradfordcityfc.co.uk//new ... 80241.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's always the Phil Parkinson who manages Nantwich Town. Got them to the FA Trophy semis this year and would be a lot cheaper than the real Phil Parkinson.