Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:06 pm

Adam Thompson is reportedly also training with us. He was a near ever-present at centre-back in Bury's promotion-winning campaign last season.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 pm

Iles reporting that ^ and that it's with a view to him signing. Also said there were decent numbers at training today whatever that means.

Interesting to see what happens with Magennis and Oz if the takeover goes through soon.

It'll be reet. I'm confident we can finish in positive figures.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:33 pm

If the takeover goes through Magennis and Oz can feck right off - only want players who want to be here. I know it’s been horrendously tough, bat shit crazy and I don’t blame anyone for going, but those that have seen it through should become club legends...Lowe, Alnwick, Matthews, Murphy, Hall, Wheater if he stays...sticking with the club through the toughest of times.

I’m not gonna be applauding the likes of Ameobi and Beevers...jumped as soon as they could, leaving the fans and the club with the punishment for the Brentford debacle. I know it’s been hard and I wouldn’t work for Anderson either but at the end of the day it’s the fans who suffer not them, they will get their cash.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 pm
Iles reporting that ^ and that it's with a view to him signing. Also said there were decent numbers at training today whatever that means.

Interesting to see what happens with Magennis and Oz if the takeover goes through soon.

According to rumours, Lowe is the only player not to have put his notice in.

Either he is illiterate or a legend.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:43 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:36 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 pm

According to rumours, Lowe is the only player not to have put his notice in.

Either he is illiterate or a legend.

:lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:11 am

If memory serves, he was reported as injured for 8-10 weeks with ankle ligaments. I know that was end of March, but I wonder if he reckons he wouldn't yet be right to get a transfer?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:11 am
If memory serves, he was reported as injured for 8-10 weeks with ankle ligaments. I know that was end of March, but I wonder if he reckons he wouldn't yet be right to get a transfer?
I know he's hated by some of our fans - but I quite like Lowe. Think he's an honest type who is a decent grafting type.

Be happy if he stays.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:28 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:33 pm
If the takeover goes through Magennis and Oz can feck right off - only want players who want to be here. I know it’s been horrendously tough, bat shit crazy and I don’t blame anyone for going, but those that have seen it through should become club legends...Lowe, Alnwick, Matthews, Murphy, Hall, Wheater if he stays...sticking with the club through the toughest of times.

I’m not gonna be applauding the likes of Ameobi and Beevers...jumped as soon as they could, leaving the fans and the club with the punishment for the Brentford debacle. I know it’s been hard and I wouldn’t work for Anderson either but at the end of the day it’s the fans who suffer not them, they will get their cash.
#harsh
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:44 am

While we may not for much longer be beggars, we still can't be choosy.

Lowe is limited but hard-working and seems a good type to have around. Certainly should do well in League One. Also calm, which we might need early doors, if we've got a mix of kids and new signings.

I sincerely hope we can keep Oztumer and to a lesser extent Magennis because they could be useful at this level, especially Oz if harnessed right. Yes, they have asked for a move. No, I do not blame them. I hope that when/if the takeover takes place, the slate's wiped clean and we all crack the feck on.

As for Beevers and Ameobi: I rarely ever boo old boys unless the debt of their exit has far outweighed the credit they built up. I think they're safe on that score. A warm clap before the match, then I'll be urging our current keepers of the flame to thunder into the buggers.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:26 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:44 am
As for Beevers and Ameobi

Seems Ameobi couldn't wait to get away from Bolton.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:34 am

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:26 am

It was certainly a quick exit. Had he been a lesser player I'd have been annoyed. But at times in his Bolton career he was our one hope of joy, the guy you really wanted on the ball, running at the oppo with a fearlessness almost entirely absent in his team-mates. And yes, at times he was, to use Bruce's typically memorable phrase, like a dog on oilcloth. But what is football if not a mechanism for us to dream? Although frequently disappointing, Sameobi gave me more of that than any other player in recent times.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:37 am

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:34 am
Enoch wrote:

It was certainly a quick exit. Had he been a lesser player I'd have been annoyed. But at times in his Bolton career he was our one hope of joy, the guy you really wanted on the ball, running at the oppo with a fearlessness almost entirely absent in his team-mates. And yes, at times he was, to use Bruce's typically memorable phrase, like a dog on oilcloth. But what is football if not a mechanism for us to dream? Although frequently disappointing, Sameobi gave me more of that than any other player in recent times.
I think its a reference to his speeding offence released by GM police today....

Naughty!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:37 am
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:34 am
Enoch wrote:
I think its a reference to his speeding offence released by GM police today....

Naughty!
Ha! That reference whizzed past me like a lanky Geordie Bambi. :D

(On a related note of joy-bringing automotively-propelled Wanderers, wasn't Jay-Jay nicked doing 140mph on the M6 toll, claimed he thought it was kph (which is still 87mph), and ended up signing autographs for the apprehending officers?)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Probably puts paid to him ever becoming Sammy Ameobi OBE.

I still want to know why Sammy doesn't have an accent but Shola does. Did Shola's early Newcastle wages go on sending Sammy to some sort of Geordie posh school? That's what Nixon and Iles should be focusing on.

I also agree that at this stage I'd happily keep them all. Magennis even more so than Oz. But they're both top 6 players at this level. Add Murphy, Lowe, the keepers and say Wheater and Taylor and you've got the bones of a team. I think we'll probably go down but I don't think it's a racing certainty.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Couldn't be banned from driving his £189k supercar though, as there are no trains in the north East.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:09 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:06 pm
Couldn't be banned from driving his £189k supercar though, as there are no trains in the north East.
Makes one's piss boil.

Not unlike when Ferguson gave one the shits.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:02 pm

I still want to know why Sammy doesn't have an accent but Shola does. Did Shola's early Newcastle wages go on sending Sammy to some sort of Geordie posh school? That's what Nixon and Iles should be focusing on.

I also agree that at this stage I'd happily keep them all. Magennis even more so than Oz. But they're both top 6 players at this level. Add Murphy, Lowe, the keepers and say Wheater and Taylor and you've got the bones of a team. I think we'll probably go down but I don't think it's a racing certainty.
Agreed. And the longer this has gone on the happier I am that Parkinson is still there. I was all for the fresh start, but given the mess were in, appointing a new manager right now is a non starter. Attractive football is very low down the list of priorities. Let him.hire some big donkeys to practice set pieces with and you never know.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:10 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:09 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:06 pm
Makes one's piss boil.

Not unlike when Ferguson gave one the shits.
Yep, was wishing a genuine plague of dysentery on him and his legal team after that.
Flags of Japan all round! 🇯🇵

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:
...but can I use it as legal precedent when I get flashed racing up the M6 to make kick off?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:15 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:09 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Agreed. And the longer this has gone on the happier I am that Parkinson is still there. I was all for the fresh start, but given the mess were in, appointing a new manager right now is a non starter. Attractive football is very low down the list of priorities. Let him.hire some big donkeys to practice set pieces with and you never know.
I don't think any manager is hiring players. They've been lined up by Cousins. And its very much "take what we can get".