If Coyle gets the sack

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to take over if this dick gets the sack

Di Canio
19%
Mick McCarthy
16%
Billy Davies
7%
Hierro
9%
Campo
6%
Eddie Howe
1%
Curbishley
13%
Walter Smith
4%
Frank Spencer
9%
Other
17%

Total votes: 112

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Re: If Coyle gets the sack

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Prufrock wrote:Oh, we're back at the hope point of the circle! We're rubbish and can't buy a point - he stumbles upon a side that wins a game - we're putting a run together here, we might be all right, hopeful - what the bastard feck team is that? No, he hasn't learnt, we're rubbish again and can't buy a point.

Unfortunately the circle is much more like an egg with a pointy successful end and large rounded back of shite at the bottom.

Agreed

Coyle will go back to 442 because we are at home
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:20 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Oh, we're back at the hope point of the circle! We're rubbish and can't buy a point - he stumbles upon a side that wins a game - we're putting a run together here, we might be all right, hopeful - what the bastard feck team is that? No, he hasn't learnt, we're rubbish again and can't buy a point.

Unfortunately the circle is much more like an egg with a pointy successful end and large rounded back of shite at the bottom.

Agreed

Coyle will go back to 442 because we are at home
That is the worry because obviously its more attacking and entertaining and you have to do that at home even if it means you get pasted because you're wide open and dont have a goalscorer.
Damn you :evil:
You reminded me of last season again!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Well, we'd only be wide open if we don't play with 2 holding midfielders

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:38 pm

jmjhb wrote:Well, we'd only be wide open if we don't play with 2 holding midfielders
Trueish but then Mavis would disappear on the wing(because he has to play doesnt he) and neither eagles or petrov are going to be much help to our not very convincing fullbacks and besides whats the point in playing wingers who put crosses in that no one will attack.Just sets us up for a counter attack everytime.A good 442 needs more than two players capable of defending in the midfield. You can only get away with one Petrov type.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:53 am

Indeed - if he reverts to a two-winger 4-4-2 (his default home system) he has to either play Mavies wide or have him as one of two central midfielders. Neither really works.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:01 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Indeed - if he reverts to a two-winger 4-4-2 (his default home system) he has to either play Mavies wide or have him as one of two central midfielders. Neither really works.
There were two key parts to the system on Saturday, one was filling midfield, so in effect playing only one "winger" and then three in midfield AND letting Mark Davies and Eagles "float" around rather than be constrained to their wings.

I think the performance of Eagles was as good as I've seen for a while here, in that slightly "freer" role behind the front two.

The slight freedom it gave those players provided movement, but with a still solid base.

I just hope we stick with it, and maybe even go a stage further at some point by adding Lee in for one of the strikers to get to something like the fabled 4-2-3-1.

I think that could be very exciting potentially....

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:02 am

I think it leaves us very vulnerable to a decent left sided player

Cockend will just think it worked against Wigan in October so we'll do it again
Sto ut Serviam

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Indeed - if he reverts to a two-winger 4-4-2 (his default home system) he has to either play Mavies wide or have him as one of two central midfielders. Neither really works.
There were two key parts to the system on Saturday, one was filling midfield, so in effect playing only one "winger" and then three in midfield AND letting Mark Davies and Eagles "float" around rather than be constrained to their wings.

I think the performance of Eagles was as good as I've seen for a while here, in that slightly "freer" role behind the front two.

The slight freedom it gave those players provided movement, but with a still solid base.

I just hope we stick with it, and maybe even go a stage further at some point by adding Lee in for one of the strikers to get to something like the fabled 4-2-3-1.

I think that could be very exciting potentially....
Can see how that would work but it does require some responsibility in terms of who covers and when in order to keep the 3. I've felt for some time that eagles would benefit from a free role but so would Mavis. Infact I'm still not convinced we should be picking both in the same 11 as their best position is the same one and with both in a midfield it does mean you are carrying two players in that midfield when we dont have the ball(wasnt a big issue v wednesday but wil be against better teams.Alonso and CYL(if he can find form) in the wide midfield positions would be more effective defensively and would genuinle free Eagles to get about and do damage with the knowledge that when he's knackered there's an ideal replacement waiting to come on.
Course it also means one striker such as sordell or NGog being mobilit and hold up play would be crucial. It would also leave some frighteningly useful impact players fresh tocome from the bench as the opposition tires.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:08 pm

We seem to have realised that we need more than one midfielder who knows how to tackle. Such was the case in Coyle's best prolonged run, with Stuey and Mooey working like Trojans. But that was in a straight two-wingered 4-4-2, whereas this formation is different... potentially disastrously so.

Picking two 'free' players plus two strikers leaves us in great danger of those midfield two being completely overrun. Even if the wingers are lacklustre wimps, they can (or should...) shuffle back to protect their full-back, but a narrow (or overly fluid) midfield four risks leaving opponents doubling up on full-backs who are hardly at the top of their profession.

If we give a free role to one player (on form, unquestionably Eagles) and play a midfield trio behind him, there's still the danger that opponents can quickly switch to exploit gaps but those gaps are far less frequent and far less exploitable. Mark Davies may still never excel in central midfield, but in a central trio rather than duo he should have more licence to get forward if his compadres show diligence and intelligence.

Which is nice but doesn't solve the riddle of what happens when our full-backs are up against dangerous wide men. I suspect the answer may not be pleasant, but hey, I've no wish to be Captain Buzzkill - after the five-man midfield and the 4-3-1-2, maybe there's already a plan D.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:10 pm

That Wilfrid Zaha playing for Palace this weekend is he...?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:We seem to have realised that we need more than one midfielder who knows how to tackle. Such was the case in Coyle's best prolonged run, with Stuey and Mooey working like Trojans. But that was in a straight two-wingered 4-4-2, whereas this formation is different... potentially disastrously so.

Picking two 'free' players plus two strikers leaves us in great danger of those midfield two being completely overrun. Even if the wingers are lacklustre wimps, they can (or should...) shuffle back to protect their full-back, but a narrow (or overly fluid) midfield four risks leaving opponents doubling up on full-backs who are hardly at the top of their profession.

If we give a free role to one player (on form, unquestionably Eagles) and play a midfield trio behind him, there's still the danger that opponents can quickly switch to exploit gaps but those gaps are far less frequent and far less exploitable. Mark Davies may still never excel in central midfield, but in a central trio rather than duo he should have more licence to get forward if his compadres show diligence and intelligence.

Which is nice but doesn't solve the riddle of what happens when our full-backs are up against dangerous wide men. I suspect the answer may not be pleasant, but hey, I've no wish to be Captain Buzzkill - after the five-man midfield and the 4-3-1-2, maybe there's already a plan D.
That's very much how I'm seeing it. Could murder some weaker teams but then be murdered ourselves by the better ones.That's why I'd rather see a tighter core with players wide who can tackle and support fullbacks. Alonso and CYL could chip in with a few goals as could Andrews,a free running eagles would be a menace and maybe one of the strikers will pick up one or two. Having Mavis Eagles and two strikers leaves A hell of a lot for Andrews and even moreso spearing to do as Andrews likes to get forward a bit too.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:08 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:That Wilfrid Zaha playing for Palace this weekend is he...?
Over-rated :wink:
Pfffft.

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:15 pm

Jose Mourinho has said he wants to return to England at any club, Wack in a sneaky offer of a free steak and kidney after every game and he's ours.
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:01 am

if he wanted that, he cudve rocked up after allardyce did one.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:51 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:That Wilfrid Zaha playing for Palace this weekend is he...?
To think, he could have been sat on our bench for the last 8 months had we only offered more money.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:43 am

Instead he'll probably tear our full back a new one tomorrow !

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:34 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Instead he'll probably tear our full back a new one tomorrow !
ahhh - the legend of the one that got away - those players stand just slightly taller than the ones that Coyle doesn't pick..

if only we could make a team out of the ones that got away and the ones that don't get picked - we'd be in the champions league!

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:37 am

thebish wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Instead he'll probably tear our full back a new one tomorrow !
ahhh - the legend of the one that got away - those players stand just slightly taller than the ones that Coyle doesn't pick..

if only we could make a team out of the ones that got away and the ones that don't get picked - we'd be in the champions league!
:conf:
No, we've got shit full backs

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:38 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
thebish wrote:

ahh - I suppose there is that too!! 8)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:16 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
thebish wrote:

Hahaha
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"