The Only way is Up? - The Gooners match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: The Only way is Up? - The Gooners match thread

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Abs wrote:good win for us yesterday. you guys did well in the first half, but taking ngog really did hurt you and as difficult Davies has been against us, his legs are gone, so by just playing high up the defence, he cant really do anything even if he wins his headers.

Your form is very bad for now, but I still dont think you will go done. But Coyle needs to be brave now and put his faith in the likes of Ngog, Kakuta and Tuncay. Sure the two youngsters will make mistakes, but they are capable of making alot of damage with their ability and pace.

We have had really poor start of the season, but dont let the media fool you, we are still a very good team with very good players. And last thing, get a left back as your left side is always gonna get targeted
Abs in not being a dick shocker?

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:49 pm

Abs is right with the way the leagues going now if you don't have pace and quality in your full backs your screwed!
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Abs wrote:good win for us yesterday. you guys did well in the first half, but taking ngog really did hurt you and as difficult Davies has been against us, his legs are gone, so by just playing high up the defence, he cant really do anything even if he wins his headers.

Your form is very bad for now, but I still dont think you will go done. But Coyle needs to be brave now and put his faith in the likes of Ngog, Kakuta and Tuncay. Sure the two youngsters will make mistakes, but they are capable of making alot of damage with their ability and pace.

We have had really poor start of the season, but dont let the media fool you, we are still a very good team with very good players. And last thing, get a left back as your left side is always gonna get targeted
I'd have struggled to sum it up better myself :shock:

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:09 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:

I'd have struggled to sum it up better myself :shock:
Also can't argue with anything said here. Certainly the dodgy red card made things even worse. Also believe those players will be getting a very fair shot on the pitch to perform in the coming weeks.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:14 pm

I thought that we did very well in the first half, particulaly when Ngog was up front. But Davies is unfortunately a waste of space now, his star has very definitely set as far as I am concerned. He is much to easy to mark now, he gets nothing from any of the refs and spend much too much time complaining and sulking. His ball control is also very poor, and when did he last score with his head!!!

I though the first Van Persie goal was an excellently taken but even so you would normally expect a top class goalkeeper to not get beaten at the near post. Mind when we were down to 10 men he make some great stops!!

It is very difficult to play against Arsenal with 10 men and they ran us ragged later in the game, particularly as Davies and Petrov offered little in defence and didn't hold the ball up very well. Taking Muamba off wasn't a good idea and Mark D offered nothing when he replaced Eagles.

Knight and Wheater did very well in my humble view and he was very unlkucky to get sent off. He hardly touched Walcott who went down much too easily, it would have actually been easier for him to stay up than to go down.

My main concern though is what appears to be poor tactical judgement from Coyle, putting K Davies on when we need someone to hold the ball up front is inept, Tunkey would have been far better. He gets me more worried everyweek, and remember when Sammy got us into this league position he was sacked.
Last edited by FaninOz on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:16 pm

I saw same with Walcott. But then again, if he'd have stayed on his feet he'd have had to have had a go at finishing a one on one though wouldn't he, little lamb

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:47 pm

The thing is...Coyle is clearly a good motivator, but it seems he's just a shit tactician, and honestly - I'm wondering if he's just too nice a chap.

Look at the QPR game, Warnock tried to play 4-2-4 (the way we sometimes do), and he realised "I've been battered here by Bolton" so changed it, and has had some success since. If nothing else, they look a decent team.

Coyle on the other hand, rather than realising our front 6 is getting beaten in every department, persists and rather than fixing the problem, just starts changing players here there and everywhere.

I'm a little concerned, but not willing to go jerking my knee - let's just get passed Chelsea with some dignity please.

Oh and for the record, I still think selling Taylor was a shocking decision.
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Choppers wrote:The thing is...Coyle is clearly a good motivator, but it seems he's just a shit tactician, and honestly - I'm wondering if he's just too nice a chap.

Look at the QPR game, Warnock tried to play 4-2-4 (the way we sometimes do), and he realised "I've been battered here by Bolton" so changed it, and has had some success since. If nothing else, they look a decent team.

Coyle on the other hand, rather than realising our front 6 is getting beaten in every department, persists and rather than fixing the problem, just starts changing players here there and everywhere.

I'm a little concerned, but not willing to go jerking my knee - let's just get passed Chelsea with some dignity please.

Oh and for the record, I still think selling Taylor was a shocking decision.
Not sure it is a case of him being too nice a guy. Think he has had an obsession with the 4-4-2. He has a strong belief in himself and the system he wants. The last two games though seems to show that there are limits to his stubborness. As far as Taylor, he was not fitting in with the style of football Coyle wants.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:57 pm

We got good money for Taylor, and in any case I don't think inserting him into our team would dramatically improve us in any way.

However, I've seen little evidence that the style of play we're aiming for this season would've been beyond him, or that Chris Eagles is more suited to it. Infact I'm not even sure what our "style of football" is, we were a quick passing side for about a month and a half a year ago.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:25 pm

FaninOz wrote:He is much to easy to mark now, he gets nothing from any of the refs and spend much too much time complaining and sulking. His ball control is also very poor, and when did he last score with his head!!!
erm...his last goal for us?..
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:33 pm

Elmander and Taylor were our hardest workers and covered more ground than anyone else. I'd suggest we are missig the selfless contributions they gave for the team more than anything else. It is quite likely that their workrate allowed us to play the 4-4-2 system last season as they were prepared to cover gaps tirelessly!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Elmander and Taylor were our hardest workers and covered more ground than anyone else. I'd suggest we are missig the selfless contributions they gave for the team more than anything else. It is quite likely that their workrate allowed us to play the 4-4-2 system last season as they were prepared to cover gaps tirelessly!
I think Holden had more to do with it. The 4-4-2 for the most part fell apart as soon as he got injured. Anyway hopefully we shall find out in the next couple weeks or so.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:20 pm

Someone mentioned wanting to see more of the nasty side of OC, made me think of baseball... The Atlanta Braves used to have this coach where if his team was down by 1 or 2 and had gone a bit flat, he'd look for a call from the umpires that was close-ish, or borderline, and go up and have a rant at the nearest official. Generally this rant involved kicking sand in the general direction of the official. It was a bit pantomime and generally got some kind of ejection/fine but basically what he's saying is "I can't play, but if I am willing to jump up and make a commotion on the pitch and I'm showing my support for the team, what are you going to do?" Sir Alex does/did do similar things.

You don't want a manager who whinges post-match, but it has to be "us against them", it almost seems like OC is bordering on turning on the players as opposed to supporting them.

Isn't there a Chelski thread yet?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Isn't there a Chelski thread yet?

ooohhhh noooooo!!!!! that's be wayyyyyyy toooooooo depressing! give us a break!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:25 pm

We should just skip the Chelsa thread and go straight to the wigan one.

The team and our illustrious? leader fooking well will!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Elmander and Taylor were still playing when we were shit last season.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Elmander and Taylor were still playing when we were shit last season.

only cos someone hexed them...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Elmander and Taylor were still playing when we were shit last season.
Aye one of them, the striker in central midfield alongside Gardner. Point was that their running and work off the ball that nobody noticed helped us out massive when we were under the cosh in games. Let's face it Davies only looked decent last season when Elmander was doing all his running for him up front!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:33 pm

So would you swap Elmander for KD?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:34 pm

So we were still shit when he was playing then, despite his running.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.