For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TheHeatonWanderer wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
TheHeatonWanderer wrote:Darren Pratley apparently wanted by Wigan Athletic according to the Bolton News.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/14 ... _by_Wigan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not getting my hopes up. He's the new Zat Knight :evil:
Come on Zat Knight was bad but not that bad :lol:
Zat Knight is the worst player that we've ever had, and that's that!
Not even close. He wasn't even the worst player in the squad he played in.

Not to say he was any good or anything other than a journeyman stealing an undeserved living. But not the worst player we've had to endure not by a stretch.
We disagree. Name me one decent contribution he ever made - for every one you can mention I'll give you 10 feck-ups.

Actually, Cid was possibly his equal, so the two worst players we've ever had
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:25 pm

It's a shame when the jaundice sets in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:06 pm

^^He played in the same squad as Ngog and Sordell and Shittu.

That is before we delve back to the likes of Steve Mcanespie and if you go just a little further back there truly lies some of the worst players we've had.....

In fact for the same wages I'd happily swap Knight for Madine....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:29 pm

^^ I never understood what was so shite about Steve MacInespie. There ... I've said it.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:^^He played in the same squad as Ngog and Sordell and Shittu.

That is before we delve back to the likes of Steve Mcanespie and if you go just a little further back there truly lies some of the worst players we've had.....

Folk are going to have to learn to love Madine. He's going to be the only one scoring any goals for us next season.
Businesswoman of the year.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:36 pm

The last time we were down in the 3rd division & before some of Phil Neal's youngsters (MacAteer & Stubbs for eg) came through and the Roch came in with ideas & I'm assuming a little bit of money and we were on the inevitable downward spiral to the 4th, we had some shocking players.

I was still playing back them so only saw a few games. I recall one game we managed to lose at home v Hartlepool and my word. I recall sitting and thinking "Good God almighty. If this lot are professionals I really must be crap as someone, somewhere sees ability here which they don't see in me !!"

I suppose I'm saying, in a phrase ... "you ain't seen nothing yet !"
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:42 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ I never understood what was so shite about Steve MacInespie. There ... I've said it.
He was ace if you liked a full back who was shite going forward but shittier still defending.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:18 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:

Folk are going to have to learn to love Madine. He's going to be the only one scoring any goals for us next season.
Watching socceraid on tv, Ollie fcking Murs has more about him than Madine.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Watching socceraid on tv, Ollie fcking Murs has more about him than Madine.
He just pulled a Madine.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:59 am

Zar Knight had some good games. Unfortunately they were overshadowed by some absolute shockers filled with howling errors.
He's a bit like David James. Good stuff overshadowed by high profile errors and that's how he's remembered.
But don't get me wrong, he was shite, but I'd swap him for Dervite.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:24 am

I'll support my claim here. Have you any corroboration?

And Steve Mcanspie? Really? You don't do yourself any favours.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:08 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Lol @ corroboration.

Knight has played a lot of games in the premier league under a variety of managers at different clubs. Even if you argue those managers were all collectively, deluded, misguided or generous, however you want to say it he still was deemed good enough to play those games at the time.

We have had countless players who even the most generous, misguided and deluded managers would not have deemed fit to play in the English top flight.

If you say he was the worst in terms of pounds played per quality then I might go with that. But flat out worst, nah. He was a better player than Dervite is now for example. Paid a lot more yes, but still....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Lol @ corroboration.

Knight has played a lot of games in the premier league under a variety of managers at different clubs.
That'll be three, you Gobshite, and he's been shit at each of them. No corroboration from you then?! Quelle surprise! :roll:

Did Iles tell you that Knight isn't a shithouse? :lol:

Oh, and how many of your nominees were on £30K a week?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:35 am

Bruce Rioja wrote: That'll be three, you Gobshite, and he's been shit at each of them. No corroboration from you then?! Quelle surprise! :roll:

Is there any need to use insults? I really don't understand why a fairly meaningless discussing gets you so heated...anyhow.....

The bolded line is my point. You didn't say he was the worst value, or most overpaid or biggest shithouse - those statements would have all been easy to agree with.

You said flat out "Zat Knight is the worst player that we've ever had, and that's that!" Like I say he's played a lot of top flight football. Even badly, that is a far higher level than some of our players who have performed as badly at lower levels have.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: That'll be three, you Gobshite, and he's been shit at each of them. No corroboration from you then?! Quelle surprise! :roll:

Is there any need to use insults? I really don't understand why a fairly meaningless discussing gets you so heated...anyhow.....

The bolded line is my point. You didn't say he was the worst value, or most overpaid or biggest shithouse - those statements would have all been easy to agree with.

You said flat out "Zat Knight is the worst player that we've ever had, and that's that!" Like I say he's played a lot of top flight football. Even badly, that is a far higher level than some of our players who have performed as badly at lower levels have.
And I stick by my assertion that Zat Knight was the worst player that I've ever seen play for us, and I've watched us through every division. And I'm not heated - I'm Atticus Finch :)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:10 am

It's an interesting question, who's the worst. Purely on ability, of course there'll be done stumps from the 4th div our from 1890 who were the worst, but I think it's got more to it than that. It's partly relative to the level we're at at the time, how much they cost/earn, the level of performance relative to that of the club at the time.

I think given the slump we've had over the last few years, contrasted with the glory days before and combined with the manner of the relegations, plenty of the recent lot have good shouts to be "worst ever".

I don't think Knight is our worst, but he's in my top 3:

3. Knight
2. Pratz
1. N,'Gog

Honorable mention to Tim Ream, and I'd be tempted tutu squeeze Coyle in, in that from what I'm told he was a likeable if a bit shit player, but if he hadn't played for us the useless cnut would never have turned up managing us.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:17 am

Prufrock wrote:It's an interesting question, who's the worst. Purely on ability, of course there'll be done stumps from the 4th div our from 1890 who were the worst, but I think it's got more to it than that. It's partly relative to the level we're at at the time, how much they cost/earn, the level of performance relative to that of the club at the time.

I think given the slump we've had over the last few years, contrasted with the glory days before and combined with the manner of the relegations, plenty of the recent lot have good shouts to be "worst ever".

I don't think Knight is our worst, but he's in my top 3:

3. Knight
2. Pratz
1. N,'Gog

Honorable mention to Tim Ream, and I'd be tempted tutu squeeze Coyle in, in that from what I'm told he was a likeable if a bit shit player, but if he hadn't played for us the useless cnut would never have turned up managing us.
I'm not sure how much they were paid comes into a measure of "pure shitness" or how good someone was.

Players are undoubtedly tainted by the period in which they played. We had some fairly shit players during good times that were liked. I'd not say Coyle was shit as a player but certainly nowhere near the status that our fans seemed to hold him in after the event.

I'm pretty sure if big Mixu had played under say Freedman or Lennon he'd have been described in a far less glowing way than perhaps he is now. It is a bit relative to when they played.....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:36 am

I don't think it's relative to pure shitness as I thought I made perfectly clear. I don't think pure a fitness is a v.interesting question and i don't think it's the only factor when considering who our "worst" is. It's a relative question.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:46 am

Dave Sutton was a worse footballer than Zat Knight, Nicky Brookman was a worse footballer than Darren Pratley.

Not by nearly as much as their remuneration might imply, and players like Sutton and Brookman might have had more "backbone" than yer Zatz'n'pratz, but objectively, independently assessed as footballers, the earlier men would have struggled far more desperately and far more often than ZK & DP if they were up against the same opponents.

I try not to hate, and I try not to be sad about things I can't change, but I don't like Knight and Pratley as much as the earlier shit players, and I feel saddened that our club has been taken so close to extinction by the salaries haemorrhaged to underachievers like ZK & DP. But they are better players than many who McGovern, Wright and Neal had to work with.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:55 am

I thought that Nicky Brookman had bags of potential that he simply never realised.