FACup Quarter Final

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Re: FACup Quarter Final

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:20 pm

You'd expect them to have learned from that debacle, but then again with BWFC who knows.

Why should past-ticket holders get preference? If we've got more tickets than our average home gate then surely all must be done to get them sold

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:22 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Lofthouse Lower wrote:I agree with you to a point Boris, but not all the way.

If we get a 30,000 allocation for any potential final then I'd much rather see it filled with those who fancy a day out than say 13,000 season ticket holding devotees - it's an occasion for the town as well as the club.
Well the club should put cup ticket users before anybody else.

I went to Liverpool and Villa away in the Carling Cup.. I couldn't get a ticket for the final.. No fair
Thing is its a hard measure.

How do you measure support? Number of consecutive years you've had a season ticket? Or folk who attended a few away cup games but don't usually go to the 'Bok?

Assuming there's enough to go round (and there should be) it should be one per season ticket holder for starters. Thats the fairest way to start IMO. After that it gets trickier.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:26 pm

I can barely remember the arrangements for the League Cup Final - I ended up getting a ticket, as did my season-ticket holding relatives, but knew a lot who missed out.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:27 pm

1 per ST, lifeline members and mebers, then free-for-all.

Its the simplest and fairest way. I remember having to queue for hours for home cup tickets in the early nineties, even though I was an ever present I didn't have an ST. Then when I got one, we promptly stopped having decent cup runs.

Its not perfect.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

sidewaysmove
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by sidewaysmove » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:34 pm

Back on topic, does anyone know when the Quarter Final will be played?
I assume all 4 ties will be televised so we could have the pleasure of a tea-time kick-off...

:pissed:

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:34 pm

12th or 13th I think

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Understandable that people are talking about ticket allocations, but there's wisdom in the voices counselling caution. That said, we should be much more up for it than Birmingham. Let's not beat around the bush, they're in a relagtion battle, and they won't fancy emulating the '97-vintage Middlesbrough by reaching two cup finals and getting relegated.

They might be in the relegation zone when we play them. They're three points above the drop line and due to their Wembley date aren't playing in the league this weekend, giving those below a chance to catch up. You'd expect Villa to beat Blackburn at home, while Wolves play Blackpool so a win for either would ramp up the pressure on Birmingham. (Less threateningly, Wigan host Man U and West Ham host Liverpool.)

The following weekend (when we host Villa), Birmingham have a mahoosive game at home to Roy Hodgson's West Brom, while Wolves host Tottenham and, considering Spurs host Milan the midweek after, Mick McCarthy's men might not be a bad bet to continue their impressive run of home wins against the upper sides: City, United and Chelsea have all lost at Molineux, and Wolves were also one up at the Lane until the 77th minute. West Ham host Stoke, too, so it could all be getting rather fraught down there.

Then in the midweek before the Sixth Round, Birmingham go to Everton for a difficult game in hand against a side also looking over their shoulders. That'll be a hard-fought game three days before our Cup clash. Which is nice.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:I can barely remember the arrangements for the League Cup Final - I ended up getting a ticket, as did my season-ticket holding relatives, but knew a lot who missed out.
ST holders & members had priority and were aloud two each. then they sold within hours. Members! whats all that about? we got 6 tickets between us easy enough tho.

alot of people paid on the gate at Wigan & Fulham so those games cant be considered. I believe it will go down to ST holders who bought Brum first, then anyone who bought Brum, then ST holders who didnt do Brum, then open sale. i think that would be fair enough.

then for the final, ST holders with semi tickets followed by plebs with semi tickets, and then ST holders then open.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:1 per ST, lifeline members and mebers, then free-for-all.

Its the simplest and fairest way. I remember having to queue for hours for home cup tickets in the early nineties, even though I was an ever present I didn't have an ST. Then when I got one, we promptly stopped having decent cup runs.

Its not perfect.
I think priority has to go to Season ticket holders as they are the ones who stump up the cold hard cash. They should get first go but only 1 per ST rather than the 2 or more that was happening for the Carling cup final.

Semi final (IF we get there) shouldn't be much bother because I can see 30K allocations if not more.

Its a problem we probably won't even have but the final allocations are much lower I believe sub 20K often.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:50 pm

ST holders who didnt go to Wigan Fulham or Birmingham should not have priority over non ST holders who went to those games imo.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:58 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:ST holders who didnt go to Wigan Fulham or Birmingham should not have priority over non ST holders who went to those games imo.
I think they should, personally. I couldn't make Wigan because of work, and I had a christening on Sunday that I couldn't get out of at short notice.

I'll go to Brum. I went to Wigan and York at home. I've had a season ticket every year for the past 20 odd. Even when I've lived hundreds of miles away.

I think the folk that stump up the £400 or so every season deserve priority over folk that go to the odd away game. I suppose I would say that but you've got to prioritise somehow.

I'd have no issue with ST holders who went to every cup game getting first dabs, then ST holders, etc.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:05 pm

However tickets are divvied, someone suffers. I believe the idea behind ST holders getting a "+1" for our Middlesbrough final was to entice back the long-departed – ST holders would bring a mate who would then get back into it. Remember we'd not sold out a Cup game in years. In hindsight it was the wrong decision but not wrong-headed: if you only allow ST holders one ticket, yes their mate might buy his own ticket later but he won't be sat next to the ST holder, so he might not bother going.

It's another problem associated with all-seater grounds: too much choice and precision. Time was you got a ticket to stand somewhere on one entire side of the ground, met your mates in the pub and went in together. Them days is gone.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:However tickets are divvied, someone suffers. I believe the idea behind ST holders getting a "+1" for our Middlesbrough final was to entice back the long-departed – ST holders would bring a mate who would then get back into it. Remember we'd not sold out a Cup game in years. In hindsight it was the wrong decision but not wrong-headed: if you only allow ST holders one ticket, yes their mate might buy his own ticket later but he won't be sat next to the ST holder, so he might not bother going.

It's another problem associated with all-seater grounds: too much choice and precision. Time was you got a ticket to stand somewhere on one entire side of the ground, met your mates in the pub and went in together. Them days is gone.
Absolutely DSB, can't blame the club. But they need to learn from it. I'd like 2 as a ST holder so I could take someone who doesn't normally go every week, but really IF the demand is as before then thats not fair. 1 per ST holder seems a fairer way to start.

We shouldn't really be discussing this as we've probably already jinxed it, but its an interesting philosophical discussion.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:ST holders who didnt go to Wigan Fulham or Birmingham should not have priority over non ST holders who went to those games imo.
I think they should, personally. I couldn't make Wigan because of work, and I had a christening on Sunday that I couldn't get out of at short notice.

I'll go to Brum. I went to Wigan and York at home. I've had a season ticket every year for the past 20 odd. Even when I've lived hundreds of miles away.

I think the folk that stump up the £400 or so every season deserve priority over folk that go to the odd away game. I suppose I would say that but you've got to prioritise somehow.

I'd have no issue with ST holders who went to every cup game getting first dabs, then ST holders, etc.....
It's a cup game, an entirely different competition to the league and as such has nothing to do with season tickets. ST holders should not get priority in cup games.

There's no fair way of allocating numbers for cup games, other than say having a cup membership scheme where you opt in before the competition starts. That way if you take them seriously as a fan you get priority tickets, if you don't you don't.
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:30 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It's a cup game, an entirely different competition to the league and as such has nothing to do with season tickets. ST holders should not get priority in cup games.

There's no fair way of allocating numbers for cup games, other than say having a cup membership scheme where you opt in before the competition starts. That way if you take them seriously as a fan you get priority tickets, if you don't you don't.
I don't buy the whole "its a different competition" line. Fans are fans.

I don't see why those who stump up in advance before a ball is kicked a decent wedge of cash are given less rights to those who decide they're only gonna go to FA cup ties if we're looking like getting somewhere?

Its a fairly standard and understood procedure that ST holders get priority on away tickets and cup tickets and thats sort of part of the T&C's for taking a ST out. One of the reasons I do in fact.

For the past 20 years my away attendance has fluctuated dependant on circumstances, some years I've done every away trip, others less, this year is in the less category mainly because I've ended up working one or two weekends a month on a complex project and won't sacrifice home games so its usually been away weekends that I've put the hours in for.

I'm going to move heaven and earth to keep Brum weekend free. But things should quieted down from end of March anyways.

I still think ST is the best (of a probably not great bunch) measure of loyalty the club has. Folk that pay up front before a ball is kicked. I know its not perfect but I haven't seen a convincing argument yet. They could do a "cup ticket" package for more expensive season tickets I suppose, think Chelsea do it. But then you're gambling on how many cup games we'll have and will folk want to pay couple of hundred or so more?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Just wait until they reveal the buying procedure for Blackpool away - that is going to annoy a LOT of people.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:03 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Just wait until they reveal the buying procedure for Blackpool away - that is going to annoy a LOT of people.
IF we're in the FA cup final then the Blackpool game will be moved midweek and I imagine demand will be a LOT less, so not so much of an issue!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:05 pm

You've changed your tune ;)

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lofthouse Lower wrote:Just wait until they reveal the buying procedure for Blackpool away - that is going to annoy a LOT of people.
IF we're in the FA cup final then the Blackpool game will be moved midweek and I imagine demand will be a LOT less, so not so much of an issue!
We'd still sell out... Cos we're massive :mrgreen:
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:46 pm

Bit much having the tickets debate now I feel. LEts cross that bridge when it comes to it!

Definitely feeling the cup love now...maybe its the Nat effect...maybe its cos I feel like I can be excited at football again....who knows....lets do Brum and keep riding the wave!!