Season expectations

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Season expectations

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Jason Roberts scored goals in this league last year.

Lad on a free going by the name of Klasnic would get some..Suspect not a Coyle signing though! Point being there are players out there - its coyles job to find them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Jason Roberts scored goals in this league last year.

Lad on a free going by the name of Klasnic would get some..Suspect not a Coyle signing though! Point being there are players out there - its coyles job to find them.
Yeah so the question is, if Roberts gets goals at this level, then surely Davies, Ngog and Sordell will too?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Should do...

But, are any of em 'goalscorers'? I know the answer for 2 of em.

Should still be enough goals in the side, but signing a poacher might be of benefit.

I'd like a McGinlay type player...would love to storm this league 96/97 style.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Should do...

But, are any of em 'goalscorers'? I know the answer for 2 of em.

Should still be enough goals in the side, but signing a poacher might be of benefit.

I'd like a McGinlay type player...would love to storm this league 96/97 style.
I'd not describe Roberts as a goalscorer either.....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:12 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: Point being we have a group of players that are on the whole above this level.
Have we? Care to name them? Coyle's bought nothing other than Championship standard players. You're in for one rude awakening this season, Sunshine. I find you're ridiculous level of arrogance to be frankly astonishing!
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:43 am

One indication that most of our players are not massively "above this level" is the fact that our squad is NOT being picked over by newly promoted teams or even lower-placed Premiership Teams.. we've been largely left alone because there's nowt much worth picking over for clubs at the next level...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 am

thebish wrote:One indication that most of our players are not massively "above this level" is the fact that our squad is NOT being picked over by newly promoted teams or even lower-placed Premiership Teams.. we've been largely left alone because there's nowt much worth picking over for clubs at the next level...
How do you know who has had interest in whom?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:46 am

If this is the case, that he's bought Championship level players (and I think the observation isn't without merit :-) ), can someone explain why he fecking did that over two and a half years whilst we were in the Prem?

The teams like Reading and Southampton - who were clearly good enough to come up last season - have spent a fraction of what Coyle's spent and probably about a quarter of the wage budget too (that's an unsubstantiated guess). As did Swansea, Blackpool, Norwich etc. etc.

If Coyle doesn't take this team straight back up with the financial backing he has then he's more clueless than I give him credit for.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Point being we have a group of players that are on the whole above this level.
Have we? Care to name them? Coyle's bought nothing other than Championship standard players. You're in for one rude awakening this season, Sunshine. I find you're ridiculous level of arrogance to be frankly astonishing!
I'm with Rioja on this.

I couldn't disagree with people more saying "he'll be okay at this level". You only need to look at West Ham last year for this evidence.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:26 pm

How did West Ham do?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:39 pm

We have the benefit of one of the biggest wage budgets in the league, parachute payments and have only very recently surrendered the advantage of being able to attract a Premier League standard of players.

We have no divine right to get promoted, but with the resources available to us the only way we could fail to earn it would be because of bad management.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
This.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Whookam wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
This.
True,the only prem standard players we have are Holden and CYL,maybe petrov(but he's getting old) and Bogdan(with time) The rest are decent championship standard so they should be there abouts. I think there's a good chance we will get back up but unless coyle suddenly becomes a tactical genius or someone puts a massive investment into the club I cant see us being anything other than a yoyo team from here on in. Unfortunately thats about the level our finances pitch us anyway. Only special circumstances(exceptional management and exceptional good fortune in picking up talent without cost) could see us being anything else.
Just being realistic.No problem with us yoyoing so loong as there is a degree of entertainment, fight and intelligent management.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Arrogance? No. I'm saying we SHOULD be able to get promoted with the players at our disposal, if our manager isn't entirely uselss.

Last season we finished higher than any other team in the championshipn we will face this season.

I'd say, LCY, Holden, Petrov, Ricketts, Eagles, Andrews are all capable of playing in the top flight.

Mark Davies, Sordell, Ream, Bogdan all have the potential to be top flight regulars year in year out.

Heck, Knight and Kevin Davies have played the majority of their careers in the top flight.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:One indication that most of our players are not massively "above this level" is the fact that our squad is NOT being picked over by newly promoted teams or even lower-placed Premiership Teams.. we've been largely left alone because there's nowt much worth picking over for clubs at the next level...
How do you know who has had interest in whom?
errr... Nixon - duh! :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:If this is the case, that he's bought Championship level players (and I think the observation isn't without merit :-) ), can someone explain why he fecking did that over two and a half years whilst we were in the Prem?

the question wasn't whether Coyle is clueless - but whether (as BWFCi claims) most of the squad is clearly/obviously above championship level.

I don't think that most of the squad clearly/obviously are! do you?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Tombwfc wrote:We have the benefit of one of the biggest wage budgets in the league, parachute payments and have only very recently surrendered the advantage of being able to attract a Premier League standard of players.

We have no divine right to get promoted, but with the resources available to us the only way we could fail to earn it would be because of bad management.
that wasn't the question though... Is the bulk of the squad obviously above championship standard?

I think it's not that obviously the case...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Last season we finished higher than any other team in the championshipn we will face this season.
surely even you can see that's a ludicrous argument!!

had we lost every game and ended up with a GD of minus 3768 then that would still be the case - and would be a meaningless statement!

you can't claim we finished above any of the promoted clubs or the ones who were not promoted when they had a ceiling that finished below us and so could not finish any higher.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:56 pm

thebish wrote:had we lost every game and ended up with a GD of minus 3768 then that would still be the case - and would be a meaningless statement!
No - had that been the case, we'd have finished below both Wolves and Blackburn...

I would say the squad should be good enough to get promoted. I would say it should have been good enough to stay up, and would have been, without some rather, erm, strange managerial decisions.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:If this is the case, that he's bought Championship level players (and I think the observation isn't without merit :-) ), can someone explain why he fecking did that over two and a half years whilst we were in the Prem?

the question wasn't whether Coyle is clueless - but whether (as BWFCi claims) most of the squad is clearly/obviously above championship level.

I don't think that most of the squad clearly/obviously are! do you?
Yes, so we better be 15 points clear by the end of August. 8) :twisted: