Looking forward

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Looking forward

Post by jaffka » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:48 am

One who makes mistakes that leads to goals...

Think again.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:50 am

jaffka wrote:One who makes mistakes that leads to goals...

Think again.

i suspect that nearly every player we can afford will occasionaly make a mistake that leads to a goal...

as I said - you may well be right - i just don't think it will be a priority for Lennon given the (bigger) fixing job he has to do with new squad members elsewhere...

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:00 am

thebish wrote:
jaffka wrote:One who makes mistakes that leads to goals...

Think again.

i suspect that nearly every player we can afford will occasionaly make a mistake that leads to a goal...

as I said - you may well be right - i just don't think it will be a priority for Lennon given the (bigger) fixing job he has to do with new squad members elsewhere...
I'm not sure why you are getting hung up on it being a priority. If he goes, then he goes. It's been in the paper from Lennon criticising him.

Now you might think that Hall is shit hot, well done. The reality is different.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:09 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
jaffka wrote:

I also have a feeling that Ream could be one of those without the right character.
I'd be surprised and probably a bit disappointed if that were the case. I haven't seen that much of him lately, granted, but I don't think anybody's seen the best of him yet.
I agree with Jaffka on this with regards to character....Ream is a decent enough skilful footballer, but IMO not a solid enough defender and as I've said previously he has a 'game losing' error in him in almost every game, he doesn't track runners and occasionally loses concentration (although he's certainly not alone in this) - and if we are to progress next season we need to make the opposition work hard for their goals not get gifted them week in week out.

For me if the likes of Ream, Hall, Trotter, Dervite, Wheater, Danns, Feeney etc....are 1st team regulars next season we won't be anywhere near challenging the top 6

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:15 am

I think feeney will still be here as he has a good work ethic and doesn't go missing.

He isn't the greatest but what he does, he generally does well.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:15 am

Maybe cravies as well with his unable to get fit put him on the radar.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:23 am

jaffka wrote:Maybe cravies as well with his unable to get fit put him on the radar.
Agree - he adds something with his work rate & physicality, but his finishing lets him down time & time again.

I doubt that he'd get into any current top 10 side, and if we are to improve we need better.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:08 pm

It was with Cravies up top that we had our best run in yonks. But he needs goalscorers behind him.

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:14 pm

Hall needs to go on loan next season . He needs to be playing regular games. It's alright lennon slating his lack of professionalism but he's a young kid and probably desperate to try and impress . I like ream as a footballer but agree that he seems to have an issue with his mentality at times but he's on a long contract, can't see anyone coming in for him with enough money to make it worth letting him go.if its a mental thing it can change . Much the same with cravies , well worth keeping on the right deal as a squad player, he's had spells of scoring regularly at Barnsley, unlike beckford missing chances doesn't seem to make his head go down . His injury record is a bigger issue though so if they do talk contracts he may be a relatively low cost player to keep. Besides he's only just back from a lay off and at least is getting into scoring situations .reckon if alf is fit they could cause Wigan plenty of problems on Saturday .
As dsb just said cravies up top with players around him who can hit the target was at the centre of our most imposing spell this season .

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:21 pm

If we're relying on Cravies for goals, we're stuffed, but if he can stay fit I think he's an important player. Has Clough played with him yet? Clough and Clayton (and hopefully ALF) are all the sort of players who would benefit from playing alongside him.

I also think Dervite is the best CB we have, albeit needed dropping after a shocking run. Ream's a liability at CB, and although seemingly much better at LB, still not good enough. Feeney is never going to be a superstar but he has occasional brilliant games and his hard-work and pace are enough that he's worth a place anyway.

---Danns/Vela-Pratters/(3-game Mavies)------

Feeney-----Clough/ALF----Clayton/Clough

----------Davies/ALF------------

Looks OK to me. Especially if we can get Janko in permanently and maybe Rochina back on loan as competition for the three behind with Walker and Eidur (depending on wages). Back is where I'd be concentrating.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Looks ok to me. We have moxey and ream under contract so I can't see us signing a left back . He's already signed a centre half and right back. The right back I suspect would be able to go straight in. Wheater and dervite aren't likely to go and mills and McCarthy may already have shown enough to stay on . Not saying our back four is great but I can't see much of an overhaul ahead . He didn't brig any defenders in on loan until wheater and mcnaughton got crocked which suggests lennon was reasonably happy with what we had . He could have changed his mind but there's not a great deal of room for manoeuvre . Only McCarthy and mills are out of contract .
I can't see lennon going for a very streamlined squad and a set best 11 home and away . It seems much more his style to switch systems and personel home and away . Would mean fresher players as the games mount up too .
Barca at home and something a but more direct, physical and pragmatic away. It might just work .

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:18 pm

We need a squad that can compete for promotion. the current squad is nowhere near that and needs strengthening.

Of the players who's contarcts run out this summer, I would only be bothered with trying to keep the following:

Mills
Bogdan
Pratley
Gudjohansen

The rest can go.

Of those who are on loan and maybe available, I would be interested in keeping

Amos
Janko
Bannan
McCarthy
Le Fondre (Need to find a couple million)

Then we need about 5 quality players (2 full backs, 1 winger, a centre Half)

That should make us competitive.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Jonah wrote:Not saying our back four is great but I can't see much of an overhaul ahead . He didn't brig any defenders in on loan until wheater and mcnaughton got crocked which suggests lennon was reasonably happy with what we had . He could have changed his mind but there's not a great deal of room for manoeuvre . Only McCarthy and mills are out of contract .
Yeah, it's notable that he (and Mjallby/Parker) impressively improved the defence through coaching rather than recruitment - until it suddenly all went pear-shaped in January. He's tried a few variants since then and hopefully we're getting back towards something like best practice.

EDIT Tidied for HTML.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:02 pm

^^ well he's stopped trying to force a 3-at-the-back option for a start !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:19 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ well he's stopped trying to force a 3-at-the-back option for a start !
I could be wrong bobo but I think they went 3 5 2 at Ipswich with walker and vela as wingbacks. Might not have been picked up on as we didn't concede 4 in the first half this time .leaves ream's lightweight and artistic tendencies a bit too exposed for my liking even if in theory his pace should be a plus .

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
jaffka wrote:

I also have a feeling that Ream could be one of those without the right character.
I'd be surprised and probably a bit disappointed if that were the case. I haven't seen that much of him lately, granted, but I don't think anybody's seen the best of him yet.
I agree with Jaffka on this with regards to character....Ream is a decent enough skilful footballer, but IMO not a solid enough defender and as I've said previously he has a 'game losing' error in him in almost every game, he doesn't track runners and occasionally loses concentration (although he's certainly not alone in this) - and if we are to progress next season we need to make the opposition work hard for their goals not get gifted them week in week out.

For me if the likes of Ream, Hall, Trotter, Dervite, Wheater, Danns, Feeney etc....are 1st team regulars next season we won't be anywhere near challenging the top 6
Ream has two decent aspects to his game

1) He's not as shit as his first season which was up there with Gerald Cid
2) He can sometimes pick a pass.

He isn't a defender, doubt he's a ball winning midfielder - so I'm at a bit of a loss. He's not hugely strong in the tackle, isn't noted for heading so it's a bit like having a Keeper, who's biggest attribute is penalty taking.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

He isn't a defender, doubt he's a ball winning midfielder - so I'm at a bit of a loss. He's not hugely strong in the tackle, isn't noted for heading so it's a bit like having a Keeper, who's biggest attribute is penalty taking.
Might help if he was given a position and a job and left alone to do it. Must be a bit annoying not knowing what job you have this week. We do chop and change just a bit.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:24 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
jaffka wrote:

:D. Exactly!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:06 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Ream has two decent aspects to his game

Might help if he was given a position and a job and left alone to do it. Must be a bit annoying not knowing what job you have this week. We do chop and change just a bit.
He's been asked to play centre-back or left-back, TD - it's not solving Fermat's Last Theorem. Players should be able to play in two positions without their brains frying. Vela, Danns, Feeney, Eidur, Clough, Janko, Bannan, Pratley, M Davies, Chungy, Clayton - they've all fulfilled more than one role this season.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:34 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Ream has two decent aspects to his game

He's been asked to play centre-back or left-back, TD - it's not solving Fermat's Last Theorem. Players should be able to play in two positions without their brains frying. Vela, Danns, Feeney, Eidur, Clough, Janko, Bannan, Pratley, M Davies, Chungy, Clayton - they've all fulfilled more than one role this season.
aye - he's performed the roles of both indispensible-hero and pariah-scapegoat! :wink: