Next season - might as well get it started now.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Next season - might as well get it started now.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:36 pm

Aanvalluh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:So, do we get to play in the 1st round again next season then? I've actually missed that! :)
Yes, pick your first round opponents!
Pity it won't be Horwich RMI
Do Daisy Hill, Atherton enter the FA Cup?
Otherwise...Chorley!
I used to coach Daisy Hill's kids. I we lose to them - it's my fault. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:54 pm

Tbf Mark Davies could be next seasons Tony Kelly. Dpratz could be Mark Patterson. Holding could be Stubbsyferengland. And Moxey could be Sunbed himself. (And Bruce doesn't like either of 'em!)

Could be.

Could.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:35 am

Aanvalluh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:So, do we get to play in the 1st round again next season then? I've actually missed that! :)
Yes, pick your first round opponents!
Pity it won't be Horwich RMI
Do Daisy Hill, Atherton enter the FA Cup?
Otherwise...Chorley!
Was just talking about good local sides ( from the past) with a mate this morning, like Atherton Cols, Walkden Town/Rayners, Laburnum Rovers, Farnworth Boys, Oswalds, Walkers Institute etc etc. Most of em would beat the current Bolton side.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:25 am

We have gone down in the same manner that Blackpool did last season, they are now languashing in the Division 3 (sorry League 1) relegation zone. I think this is where we will be next season unless we make major changes, we need a manager who can set up a team and motivate them, we need a proper Captain! Without these 2 vital ingredients in place we are doomed to another season of misery!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:49 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:Just an FYI that BBC Manchester Sport have tweeted that they'll (Radio Manchester) be having a discussion and breakdown of our season and what went wrong between 6-7pm tonight.
sounds like fun! :hang:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:52 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:Just an FYI that BBC Manchester Sport have tweeted that they'll (Radio Manchester) be having a discussion and breakdown of our season and what went wrong between 6-7pm tonight.
What's to discuss? :conf: It's not like the season went through stages of good/bad etc. We were shit from start to finish and had no desire or fight from the players. I'm struggling to think how they'll fill an hour.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
What's to discuss? :conf: It's not like the season went through stages of good/bad etc. We were shit from start to finish and had no desire or fight from the players. I'm struggling to think how they'll fill an hour.

They could get Emma Davies to call in.......

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:40 pm

An hour?

Jesus. That will be a depressing listen for any masochists who choose to tune in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:46 pm

Apparently Ken Anderson is holding a press conference tomorrow.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Apparently Ken Anderson is holding a press conference tomorrow.
It's now, and being Tweeted.
We've got to accept this season people have not performed to their ability. It's disappointing. I will talk to the players today.

The fans need answers. There is a lot of press speculation. We wanted to tell the fans what we think and what we want to achieve. I look at teams like Man City who were in our position and came back. We've got a plan.

I saw the club as an enormous opportunity. We've spent a lot of time on the financials and now know where we are going. We know who the board will be. That will be announced later this week and are known names who will do a good job for the club.

I've given my word there will be no redundancies for at least a month as we look where we are. There is some money still owed to Eddie Davies, which he has kindly deferred for two years. It's built into our future cash-flow.

We've had over 50 applicants for the manager's job. High-quality people have applied who I may not have expected to apply. We've got three candidates left for the managerial position. Hopefully people will be very happy with who we choose to appoint. One of them said he would walk to Bolton to get the job. That was very encouraging and pleasing to hear.

We expect our squad to be 23-24 players next season with a few younger players there to support them. We've spoken to four clubs regarding loans. We know which players we would like from those clubs.
He's now being interviewed by Sky. If anything else interesting gets posted I'll let you know.

Not entirely sure I'm delighted that we're so close to appointing someone... Doesn't feel like the net has been cast that wide?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:55 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Apparently Ken Anderson is holding a press conference tomorrow.
It's now, and being Tweeted.
We've got to accept this season people have not performed to their ability. It's disappointing. I will talk to the players today.

The fans need answers. There is a lot of press speculation. We wanted to tell the fans what we think and what we want to achieve. I look at teams like Man City who were in our position and came back. We've got a plan.

I saw the club as an enormous opportunity. We've spent a lot of time on the financials and now know where we are going. We know who the board will be. That will be announced later this week and are known names who will do a good job for the club.

I've given my word there will be no redundancies for at least a month as we look where we are. There is some money still owed to Eddie Davies, which he has kindly deferred for two years. It's built into our future cash-flow.

We've had over 50 applicants for the manager's job. High-quality people have applied who I may not have expected to apply. We've got three candidates left for the managerial position. Hopefully people will be very happy with who we choose to appoint. One of them said he would walk to Bolton to get the job. That was very encouraging and pleasing to hear.

We expect our squad to be 23-24 players next season with a few younger players there to support them. We've spoken to four clubs regarding loans. We know which players we would like from those clubs.
He's now being interviewed by Sky. If anything else interesting gets posted I'll let you know.

Not entirely sure I'm delighted that we're so close to appointing someone... Doesn't feel like the net has been cast that wide?

50 down to three?

This guy who said he'd walk there to get the job. It's Ian Dowie isn't it? :roll:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:07 am

Sounds like player recruitment with no input from a manager, unless the new manager has had input during interviews. Asking clubs who is available is fine, but foisting players on managers not so fine.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:18 am

The walker could be Dowie. Doesn't Browny still have a house in Bolton? I know he commuted to Hull therefrom. And Keith Hill used to live in Smithills, so that's a brisk Sunday promenade.

Not bothered that we have identified potential loanees - I would think the new boss will have veto on any he doesn't like.

As for 50 down to three - aye, 50's a big number, but did it include anyone who might currently be busy having a successful season?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:26 am

I think we need an appointment by season's end at the latest. Can't drag this out. Ideally a new manager would have a week or two to assess the squad.

Ultimately IF they are genuinely after Brown these quotes may be fairly meaningless. Though I wonder if they've decided they can't afford his compensation?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think we need an appointment by season's end at the latest. Can't drag this out. Ideally a new manager would have a week or two to assess the squad.
Ideally we wouldn't be in the third division...!

I understand your viewpoint but apart from spending a week on the training ground, what benefit is there to a new manager coming in early May rather than mid-May? I'd rather wait a fortnight and get a better chance of getting a better applicant.

Put it this way, fatuous but illustrative: imagine Sunderland get relegated and sack Allardyce... yeah alright we still couldn't afford him etc etc but the point stands. If we appoint someone before the end of the season he's either unemployed (which might be fair enough) or has basically abandoned his post (which might not be) to apply.

I just don't think the need to rush outweighs the need to get it right. More accuracy than alacrity. The next match of any importance is on August 6th.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:00 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think we need an appointment by season's end at the latest. Can't drag this out. Ideally a new manager would have a week or two to assess the squad.
Ideally we wouldn't be in the third division...!

I understand your viewpoint but apart from spending a week on the training ground, what benefit is there to a new manager coming in early May rather than mid-May? I'd rather wait a fortnight and get a better chance of getting a better applicant.

Put it this way, fatuous but illustrative: imagine Sunderland get relegated and sack Allardyce... yeah alright we still couldn't afford him etc etc but the point stands. If we appoint someone before the end of the season he's either unemployed (which might be fair enough) or has basically abandoned his post (which might not be) to apply.

I just don't think the need to rush outweighs the need to get it right. More accuracy than alacrity. The next match of any importance is on August 6th.
Yeah, I don't think we can deal in absolutes. I'd rather have Mourinho in June than Kevin Nolan now.

But I just meant that given we need to hit the ground running next season I'd prefer a manager to get the chance to look at the squad and assess it a little bit. I suppose that the manager may only partially be in control given we need rid of the high earners and the limited transfer budget (that sounds like DH and KA may be having a say in signings anyway).

I think that earlier is better assuming that better options don't become available. However, you could always argue waiting "in case" someone becomes available. It is a bit never ending.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:14 am

Ultimately IF they are genuinely after Brown these quotes may be fairly meaningless. Though I wonder if they've decided they can't afford his compensation?
He's at Southend, not Real Madrid!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think that earlier is better assuming that better options don't become available. However, you could always argue waiting "in case" someone becomes available. It is a bit never ending.
Yeah, we'll never know who's going to be available "in a bit" but there's always a turnover at season's end. And as you say, the manager's hands are tied to an extent anyway by who we can get rid of - which won't be decided for a good while yet, because the buying/borrowing clubs might not have managers yet, or know where they want to strengthen... which also somewhat weakens the point of the new man having a look at the squad

For instance, who will we have in central midfield next season? I get that the new guy might want to assess Danns, but can we afford a contract extension unless we can ship Spearing, Davies, Pratley, possibly Trotter?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:14 pm

Not having a pop here Insane but I thought when you wrote that below - you had some inside info and Brown was their only choice
BWFC_Insane wrote: This was lined up by Holdsworth before sports shield even bought the club. No need for come and get me's. Up to Brown to sort out getting out of Southend.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Not having a pop here Insane but I thought when you wrote that below - you had some inside info and Brown was their only choice
BWFC_Insane wrote: This was lined up by Holdsworth before sports shield even bought the club. No need for come and get me's. Up to Brown to sort out getting out of Southend.
That is still the case. But as I said previously I don't think they will pay compensation. Think it is half a million compo and Sports Shield won't pay that. Brown has to find a way of getting out, but he has shares in the club as part of his contract and other things that complicate it.

As Nixon has just said, they want Brown and the quotes are a bit of fluff. But if they can't afford Brown they will have to look elsewhere.