A Shrewd Idea...Home v Shrewsbury Sat 22nd April 3'O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: A Shrewd Idea...Home v Shrewsbury Sat 22nd April 3'O'clock.

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:50 pm

Didn't somebody (possibly Allardyce) once say that it was much harder to stop conceding goals than it was to start scoring them? May be a complete fabrication or a quote from a dream or something...

Whoever said it, I'm inclined to think that we've gone about this very much the right way. Our defence is, lets make no bones about it, very good at this level. Even if this season peters out (and let's hope it definitely doesn't) if we can retain that defensive solidity into next season, it shouldn't be a Herculean task to add more goals to the squad from all over the pitch.

I'd be more worried if our defence was as leaky as a drunk at 4am...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:19 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:50 pm
Didn't somebody (possibly Allardyce) once say that it was much harder to stop conceding goals than it was to start scoring them? May be a complete fabrication or a quote from a dream or something...

Whoever said it, I'm inclined to think that we've gone about this very much the right way. Our defence is, lets make no bones about it, very good at this level. Even if this season peters out (and let's hope it definitely doesn't) if we can retain that defensive solidity into next season, it shouldn't be a Herculean task to add more goals to the squad from all over the pitch.

I think he said it the other way round. Much easier to stop conceding goals than to start scoring cos stopping conceding is usually something you can organise and structure to manage but starting to score is more about individual quality etc….

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:19 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:50 pm

I think he said it the other way round. Much easier to stop conceding goals than to start scoring cos stopping conceding is usually something you can organise and structure to manage but starting to score is more about individual quality etc….
I prefer my version. :grin:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:11 pm

I admire our defensive solidity, but I suspect a *lot* of it is down to having a very very good goalkeeper.

That's not to criticise or minimise the others - Johnston and Toal in particular have progressed brilliantly this season - but I do worry about who'll be our No.1 next term. Because Traf has saved our ass in a lot of those tight wins, sometimes before we were winning. Going 0-1 down in those tight games can make all the difference.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:02 pm
Shrewsbury’s threat is balls into the box and set plays. I imagine.
You imagine correctly, at least on set pieces. Third-highest ratio of xG created by set pieces compared to open play (Burton top, we're fifth-bottom). Third-most goals from set pieces. Second-fewest shots from open play. Third-fewest goals from open play.

In terms of long balls, though, they're actually slower than us at getting the ball forward, and much slower than the divisional average. Mind you, so are Exeter, and that became the Alamo.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:11 pm
I admire our defensive solidity, but I suspect a *lot* of it is down to having a very very good goalkeeper.
^^ Indisputably this.. :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:23 am

"Yesterday is history, today is still a mystery, !"...

Thus spaketh the words of the song which changes Daily. Welcome to Bolton Lancashire (Greater Manchester for the posh lot) you Shrews; bakers of Carr's Pasties, land of rain and home of the mighty Whites. Looks like a wet day on the Hill, but a drop of rain never hurt many. Might make the "casey" skid a bit on the Unibol turf and that may be a good or bad thing depending on how much banjo and cow's xxxxs practise we've had. My prediction, as ever, is a win, and I'm hoping we bolster our goal tally somewhat, so I'm going 2-0 with a hope for better.

Time then to fill Sonic's kettle and give a rousing chorus of..."COME ON YOU WHITES". .. :oyea: :oyea: :kettle: :kettle:

ae:)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:42 am

Nervous for this one. Real nervous. We should win. That’s usually when we do not.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:02 am

When are you ever not, mate. 😀

There's a fair chance we drop points before the end, be great if we don't... :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:04 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:42 am
Nervous for this one. Real nervous. We should win. That’s usually when we do not.
A rousing speech Insaney; on a par with "Give me some men" from the old musical "New Moon"..

"Give me some men who are stout -hearted men who will fight for the cause they adore.
Just give me ten who are stout-hearted men and I'll soon give you ten thousand more"

:oyea: :oyea: :lol:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:43 pm

Shrewsbury have cemented their midtable mediocrity for this season so on paper this should be a walk in the park. Thing is pressures off for the Shrews so may very well be a big challenge. All depends who turns up.

With us having three games at home with opposition having little to play for you would suspect we'd have the ability to win at least two of those whilst potentially slipping up on another. Two wins should see us in the play offs.

I suspect some tweaking today Adeboyejo off the bench with Kacha starting. John back in the team. Lee with a sub appearance.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:07 pm

Tuesday’s visitors Accy are fighting to avoid relegation, Mar. I guarantee that will make that them “the hardest possible opponents” in some analyses…. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:12 pm

Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:07 pm
Tuesday’s visitors Accy are fighting to avoid relegation, Mar. I guarantee that will make that them “the hardest possible opponents” in some analyses…. :D
Did you not watch the Arsenal game last night?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:12 pm
We're aware that every game is difficult. When we're being told that every opponent is the "hardest possible at this stage" though, it becomes a little wearisome...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:44 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
We're aware that every game is difficult. When we're being told that every opponent is the "hardest possible at this stage" though, it becomes a little wearisome...
Don’t think anyone is suggesting that. Three games we should win. It’s down to us. And our mentality. That will determine it. Nothing else.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:44 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Don’t think anyone is suggesting that. Three games we should win. It’s down to us. And our mentality. That will determine it. Nothing else.
Other than maybe them? Who will also be on the pitch?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:06 pm

Sheehan in for Thomason

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:10 pm

Let's get at em from the off.

COYWM!!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:50 pm

I don’t get leaving John out for Williams. Don’t get that at all. Randell played well Tuesday but John offers a lot for me in games like this with his left foot and ability to stretch a team.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:51 pm

I'm backing us for another one-goal margin victory.

COYW