The Tykes Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The Tykes Thread

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:13 pm

Can someone tell me whats all the fuss about? Did we just get hit for six like another team I know who just changed manager to one who almost came here?

Does our new manager not need time to turn us into world beaters with a team he inherited or should that happen by the wave of a magic wand? I read somewhere that we are unbeaten under our new manager and have 6 pts from 4 games. Is that true or did I miss something? Is that bad ? Someone explain please.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:31 am

BL3 wrote:
Enoch wrote:I can't say I've seen any evidence of folk making excuses for the new manager.
'We would have lost that with Coyle in charge'. 'The players aren't good enough'. 'He's trying things out'. I could go on. We might as well have stuck with Jimmy Phillips if we wanted someone who's still learning the job.
Do you think he is still learning "the job" or is he simply learning things about his NEW job? How's he going to know what works if he doesn't try it? He can hardly take heed from the person who was in the role previously can he?

Don't know about you but in my job I like to try new things which I think could work, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 am

89bwfc89 wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Enoch wrote:I can't say I've seen any evidence of folk making excuses for the new manager.
'We would have lost that with Coyle in charge'. 'The players aren't good enough'. 'He's trying things out'. I could go on. We might as well have stuck with Jimmy Phillips if we wanted someone who's still learning the job.
Do you think he is still learning "the job" or is he simply learning things about his NEW job? How's he going to know what works if he doesn't try it? He can hardly take heed from the person who was in the role previously can he?

Don't know about you but in my job I like to try new things which I think could work, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
signed... Chief Button Pusher, Chernobyl
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
89bwfc89 wrote:
BL3 wrote:

signed... Chief Button Pusher, Chernobyl

:lol:

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:55 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:Can someone tell me whats all the fuss about? Did we just get hit for six like another team I know who just changed manager to one who almost came here?
Ipswich are a terrible team, far worse than us, and yet they've taken the same number of points from the last four games since Mick McCarthy took over. Frankly i wouldn't care whether we lost one game in three, 6-0, as long as we won the other two. Goal difference is irrelevant if we're not winning games.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:58 am

89bwfc89 wrote:Do you think he is still learning "the job" or is he simply learning things about his NEW job? How's he going to know what works if he doesn't try it? He can hardly take heed from the person who was in the role previously can he?
He knew what worked in his very first game in charge... and then he reverted to something that didn't. Each result has been worse than the last. He knew what the brief was when he took over. Promotion this season. He shouldn't be learning the job on our time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:02 pm

BL3 wrote:
89bwfc89 wrote:Do you think he is still learning "the job" or is he simply learning things about his NEW job? How's he going to know what works if he doesn't try it? He can hardly take heed from the person who was in the role previously can he?
He knew what worked in his very first game in charge... and then he reverted to something that didn't. Each result has been worse than the last. He knew what the brief was when he took over. Promotion this season. He shouldn't be learning the job on our time.
Can you explain why that applies to our current manager, but you applied a completely different set of requirements to our previous one?

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Can you explain why that applies to our current manager, but you applied a completely different set of requirements to our previous one?
It applied to the previous manager as well. Promotion this season was the stated aim. The club didn't think it was going to happen so they made a change. Freedman's brief is no different. He may well turn out to be a good manager in time but we don't have time. He needs to hit the ground running. Preferably in a forwards direction.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:10 pm

BL3 is a master at getting folk to react; and more fool those of you who are daft enough to fall for it. But I think in this instance he's got a point. Douglas was appointed to make sure we go up this season; and so far he's managed to climb us up the table from 18th to 17th in four games, and with every game pointswise we slip further away from the play offs. It's not good enough. No excuses.
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 pm

BL3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
BL3 wrote:
It applied to the previous manager as well. Promotion this season was the stated aim. The club didn't think it was going to happen so they made a change. Freedman's brief is no different. He may well turn out to be a good manager in time but we don't have time. He needs to hit the ground running. Preferably in a forwards direction.
This is what you said when Coyle was manager, after the Leeds game...
West Ham had the biggest wage bill in the division last season. They also had arguably the best manager and yet they only just scraped up in the play-offs. No one has a divine right to promotion just because they were in the Premier League last season.
Quite different to the tone you are now setting.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:20 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:BL3 is a master at getting folk to react; and more fool those of you who are daft enough to fall for it. But I think in this instance he's got a point. Douglas was appointed to make sure we go up this season; and so far he's managed to climb us up the table from 18th to 17th in four games, and with every game pointswise we slip further away from the play offs. It's not good enough. No excuses.
When he's built a squad and had the time to do so I'll start saying good enough or not.

As it is, he inherited a mess and has already improved results statistically.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:BL3 is a master at getting folk to react; and more fool those of you who are daft enough to fall for it. But I think in this instance he's got a point. Douglas was appointed to make sure we go up this season; and so far he's managed to climb us up the table from 18th to 17th in four games, and with every game pointswise we slip further away from the play offs. It's not good enough. No excuses.
When he's built a squad and had the time to do so I'll start saying good enough or not.

Which is also a fair point. And I reckon if you gave him two or three years he'd be amazing for us.
But he's been given this job to get us up this season.
He's not got time to build a squad and prove he's good enough.
He's got to be good enough right now, end of.
Businesswoman of the year.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BL3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
BL3 wrote:
This is what you said when Coyle was manager, after the Leeds game...
West Ham had the biggest wage bill in the division last season. They also had arguably the best manager and yet they only just scraped up in the play-offs. No one has a divine right to promotion just because they were in the Premier League last season.
Quite different to the tone you are now setting.
How is it different? No one has a divine right to promotion including us, you've got to earn it. We apparently made the change to give ourselves a better chance of going up and before anyone says he's only been in charge for four games, i seem to remember people pointing out that West Ham were in and around the top three all season. The same people are now saying that we need to give the manager time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:40 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Which is also a fair point. And I reckon if you gave him two or three years he'd be amazing for us.
But he's been given this job to get us up this season.
He's not got time to build a squad and prove he's good enough.
He's got to be good enough right now, end of.
I'm sure the aim is to go up this season. But I rather think Freedman will not lose his job if we don't.In fact I'm certain he won't.

If he will be as you say "amazing for us given 2 or 3 years" then that'll do for me. Cos we've not even had average for a while, and it shows.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 pm

I know I've been quiet of late but......... :mrgreen:

I agree with the rest of your post tho' Hoss, draws or 'not losing' needs to be addressed quickly and is not good enough for the clubs stated aims.
Coyle, despite what BL3 thinks, was crap and had to go, if the club is in such a really bad state that it needs totally rebuilding and the seasons target has been moved, the only person with blood on his hands is Gartside!

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm not sure if there was another manager in the running for the job who we could 100% hand on heart say that he would have taken over the team, got to know the players, got them fit and got us on a 100% winning streak and back on course all within the first 4 games, which is what you seem to have expected Dougie to do BL3.

Can tell us who this wonder-manager is that we have missed out on?

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Then what was the point of making the change? We should have given Jimmy Phillips the job until the end of the season and given the new manager the whole summer to get to grips with the job.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Leaving aside the fact Jiminho didn't want it...

It is not ridiculous to say to a manager: we want you to go for promotion this year, we think the players are good enough and you are good enough; however, we appreciate football is not a computer game, it isn't always that easy to get a quick fix, so don't worry if it doesn't happen, though if not the pressure really will be on next year.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:55 pm

BL3 wrote:Then what was the point of making the change? We should have given Jimmy Phillips the job until the end of the season and given the new manager the whole summer to get to grips with the job.
:lol:
The point is the new man should have had the whole of the last summer 'to get to grips with the job'.
Another Gartside error.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Because as you have repeatedly told us, promotion is a must this season. Phil must believe that Dougie is more capable of winning promotion than Jimmy was, so he made a change.

No doubt if Jimmy was put in charge you'd be bleating on about the inexperience and how can someone who has never managed a first team get us promotion this season.

Hoboh - I think you're right but BL3 seems to think that's Dougie's fault :conf: