Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:09 pm

BREAKING NEWS

JASON LOWE SIGNS

Two-year deal for ex-Blackburn defensive midfielder
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/june/j ... wanderers/
Bolton Wanderers are delighted to announce the signing of Jason Lowe.

The midfielder puts pen to paper on a two-year deal at Macron Stadium to become the Whites’ first signing of the summer, having most recently been on the books of Birmingham City.

Coming through the ranks at Blackburn Rovers, the 26-year-old made his Premier League debut away at Chelsea in January 2011 before finishing the season on loan at Oldham Athletic.

A former England Under-21s international, Lowe established himself as a first team regular following his return to Ewood Park, making made 33 appearances in the top-flight for Rovers the following year.

Named Blackburn captain for the 2016/17 season, he joined Birmingham City last summer having made 196 appearances during his seven years in Lancashire.

And with the midfielder boasting plenty of Championship experience, Bolton have moved quickly to bring Lowe to Macron Stadium ahead of the start of the 2018/19 campaign.

Speaking to bwfc.co.uk after completing the move, Lowe said: “It’s great to be here. The club has a lot of history and loads of my friends support them. I’m excited to be here and looking forward to getting going.

“There’s a great fan base here and I hope we can give them something to shout about this coming season.”

Manager Phil Parkinson, added: “I’m really pleased to be welcoming Jason to Bolton Wanderers Football Club. He’s at a good age and is a player who has captained teams before in the Championship.

“He knows his way around the division and has good leadership qualities.”

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Elsewhere, for the record, Liverpool confirm they're releasing Jon Flanagan (and Emre Can)

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:30 pm

I hope Lowe does well here. Seems to be primarily a defensive midfielder but can also cover RB. I am sure there will be more exciting signings, at least we have a midfielder in the building.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:36 pm

Premier League released lists (mostly kiddiwinkles)
https://www.premierleague.com/news/698753

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:36 pm

An experienced championship centre midfielder in his 20s. What's not to like? Well done Ken
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:36 pm
Premier League released lists (mostly kiddiwinkles)
https://www.premierleague.com/news/698753
I noticed Scott Arfield on that list but sadly he's opted for early retirement at Rangers. Chris Long and CYL were the two others that interested me
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Tails07
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tails07 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Lee Chung-yong released by Palace. Surely we'll be back in for him considering how close we came in January.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:38 pm

Decent 1st signing Lowe....good age, premiership experience, energetic, gets stuck in, a decent player and also a decent passer of the ball, he's certainly a vast improvement on Derik & Pratley

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Forgot to add that he (Lowe) may also become our new captain....

A very good tackler, he'll be very good sitting in front of the back four as a defensive midfield organiser.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Lowe looks a solid enough signing.

Seems like a few at Blackburn don't hold fond memories despite his length of service - defensive mentality a theme - but they don't question his commitment or leadership qualities. And, as you say Harry, he's also young for his experience. Seems like a match for PP/KA's aims of reducing squad age and making sure the personality type is right - can't argue with that.

Lowe also becomes (I think) our first player who's actually contracted to play for us beyond this season!!

On that note, and going back to Cee Bee's post about the Ameobi/Maorais deals, I'd also be looking to keep Sammy as a priority. Yes, he's infuriatingly inconsistent, but he also has the creativity that we need - and need more of. Also think he'd benefit from having some more creativity around him ie. Oztumer. His age is also a plus and, if he'd sign for 2+ years, he becomes a sell-able asset. I'd happily keep Morais for another year myself but, given the chat about reducing squad age, the fact we're ok on the RW compared to other areas (that's if Sammy stays), and the fact we're not being particularly sentimental about who's retained, my hunch is he's being kept hanging until Sammy says Yay or nay, and will only be kept on if Sammy goes.

Also related to being contracts... what of Vela? Is Kenneth in talks with him? He may have had a 4/10 season, but Shirley it would be criminal to let him walk next summer (or leave for an "undisclosed" AKA £200k fee in January), should it come to it?

Finally, on the PL retained list, there's perhaps a couple of wildcard options at Newcastle:

Stuart Findlay had an excellent season at Killie and could potentially do a decent ying-and-yang, squad rotation job with Wheavers, while also being an investment for the future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Findlay

Massadio Haïdara would meanwhile be in the "oh great, we've signed a permanent crock" risk bracket, and may also be looking for some silly wages to perform a "Flamboyant Andy Taylor" role, but otherwise has the age and pedigree to be a decent signing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massadio_ ... te_note-12

CYL the other obvious freebie and I don't see another Prem club going in for him. We would get totally turned over by just about any other Champ club on wages offered, but I would love to see him back (not just because of rose-tinted mistiness, but because we need creativity, and I think he'd also unlock Sammy a bit more).

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:42 pm

Must admit I haven't seen him play so will reserve judgement but he's from my neck of the woods (Leigh) so a good start :)

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:13 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:30 pm
I hope Lowe does well here. Seems to be primarily a defensive midfielder but can also cover RB. I am sure there will be more exciting signings, at least we have a midfielder in the building.
6/10 Jason Lowe 26: former Blackburn and Birmingham: Right age and has played in our area. injury plagued last year didn't play much. Championship 149 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, 33 yellows. Doesn't seem to add much going forward.

Overall, decent signing. Still think he needs competition.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:17 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:04 pm
At this moment my interest is in whether we keep both Ameobi and Morais, keep one, or get rid of both, given the mood Phill is in at this moment. As DSB said earlier, we have the luxury of 3 right wingers in the first team (Ameobi, Morais and Noone) and one left winger (Buckley). At this moment we have Noone and Buckley under contract. I believe we should replace one of the right wingers with a genuine left winger. I cant see Phill keeping both given limitations in the other areas of the squad, especially CM.

Who should we keep? Ameobi age 26 vs Morais age 32. For me, Ameobi given his skills and age and sign a left winger who can cross the football accurately and score a couple.
I was saying this just before. If we get Oztumer who is left footed and takes corners and frees I think Morais is not needed. Ameobi all day for his athleticism and dribbling.

GK: Ben Alnwick, Ben Amos, Jake Turner
RB: Mark Little, Stephen Darby
LB: Andrew Taylor,Stephen Darby
CB: David Wheater, Mark Beevers
DM: Jason Lowe
AM: Josh Vela, OZTUMER???
RW: AMEOBI???, Craig Noone
LW: OZTUMER??? Will Buckley
ST: Adam Le Fondre, Conor Hall
TS: ??? $$$

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:31 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:38 pm
Decent 1st signing Lowe....good age, premiership experience, energetic, gets stuck in, a decent player and also a decent passer of the ball, he's certainly a vast improvement on Derik & Pratley
Good to hear. Just watched the interview. He seems an intense no-nonsense team-player type. Got the right accent too!

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:41 am

mullayo wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:31 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:38 pm

Good to hear. Just watched the interview. He seems an intense no-nonsense team-player type. Got the right accent too!
Captain candidate as you say. A 6ft more athletic Spearing?

Blackburn fans were divided on him. I think he's one of those players that gets the blame when the team aren't getting goals galore like Barcelona.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:07 am

I know pretty much nothing of Lowe, but I note that he averages a booking every fifth appearance and yet he hasn't ever been sent for an early bath. That might suggest a certain refinement to his "game management" abilities.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:19 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:07 am
I know pretty much nothing of Lowe, but I note that he averages a booking every fifth appearance and yet he hasn't ever been sent for an early bath. That might suggest a certain refinement to his "game management" abilities.

Says in his interview, when asked what fans can expect of him, "put in the odd tackle and get the odd yellow card", like it's all part of his plan.

Any break can be a momentum shifter so there are good and bad yellows. Savvy players use them in a timely fashion. I think he should shave that sinister beard off if he's going to be sticking his foot in.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:56 am

Bolton. Blackburn. Parkinson wants Danny Graham. But there’s an option in his contract that means Rovers can keep him. And that would mean a fee as well as top wages.

Would be a decent signing imo

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:13 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:56 am
Bolton. Blackburn. Parkinson wants Danny Graham. But there’s an option in his contract that means Rovers can keep him. And that would mean a fee as well as top wages.
Can tell by the syntax that that's Nixon. Iles replied:
Was #bwfc interest in Blackburn's Danny Graham but looks unlikely to happen. Different, younger striker looks more likely now. Still a remote possibility but understand Parkinson looking at someone else at the moment.
Asked about the alternative, he said
I think it would be a decent one. Good back story to it.
Iles also said:
Lichaj was offered to Bolton. Fee wasn't a problem. They hadn't acted on it last time I asked.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:35 pm

I'd take CYL back in a flash
I think he'd have something to prove (as well as alot to give)
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin: