Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:42 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:34 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:55 pm
Joe Taylor's recall became official today, with all the paperwork done. New loan announcement should follow in close order, you'd imagine.

That would make 3 members of our striking department here thanks to Evatt's mate at Luton, if it happens.

Bodvarsson, Jerome and Taylor. Plus another "forward" in Gomes.

It's nice to have good friends.
Is there a link between us and Joe Taylor?
We're one of several League One clubs said to want him on loan for the second half of the season. It's not just idle tittle-tattle, with Iles mentioning the speculation on a couple of occasions; he neither confirmed nor denied the club's interest, and he'll certainly have asked Evatt, so I think it's safe to say we're interested. Whether Luton choose us as preferred destination, and whether Taylor agrees, are yet to be decided.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... oe-taylor/
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... t-rumours/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:46 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:34 pm
Is there a link between us and Joe Taylor?
In the media? Yes.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:33 pm

Loan link

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:40 pm

Another link here. Pacey, tricky forward who got 12 league goals for Plymouth last season before signing for Blackburn on a free in the summer. This would be a loan with a view to getting him back to full fitness I imagine as he’s had a stop start season so far with injury.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:08 am

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:27 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:08 am
Slightly disappointing if he was considered a major target for us, but it did always seem fairly unlikely to me that Luton would decide being fourth choice at Bolton was the best option for him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:33 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:27 am
Slightly disappointing if he was considered a major target for us, but it did always seem fairly unlikely to me that Luton would decide being fourth choice at Bolton was the best option for him.
I'm disappointed but at our place "fourth choice striker" is also "almost guaranteed minutes".

Instead, he's off (if true) to a team that have often played a front one/three and haven't won in seven, so the disappointment might well be his.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:38 am

I wonder if we have switched targets - Niall Ennis looks a better option if fit?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:47 am

Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:33 am
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:27 am
I'm disappointed but at our place "fourth choice striker" is also "almost guaranteed minutes".

Instead, he's off (if true) to a team that have often played a front one/three and haven't won in seven, so the disappointment might well be his.
Maybe. I always questioned a loan for him on the basis that I’m sure Luton would want him to play more and clearly here that would not be the case.

It’s a shame to an extent but also I’d say that it maybe should slightly alter our thinking in that if we want that extra striker, and I think most believe we need it then we might have to dip into the permanent market. I imagine loaning anyone will be difficult with the knowledge that we already have three seniors (and an oap) for two places and at least one of those is playing if fit regardless.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:04 am

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:09 am

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:40 pm
Another link here. Pacey, tricky forward who got 12 league goals for Plymouth last season before signing for Blackburn on a free in the summer. This would be a loan with a view to getting him back to full fitness I imagine as he’s had a stop start season so far with injury.
I'd take him. I remember – at Plymouth away – when he got around Santos to score.

From 35 seconds:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:47 am
I always questioned a loan for him on the basis that I’m sure Luton would want him to play more and clearly here that would not be the case.

It’s a shame to an extent but also I’d say that it maybe should slightly alter our thinking in that if we want that extra striker, and I think most believe we need it then we might have to dip into the permanent market. I imagine loaning anyone will be difficult with the knowledge that we already have three seniors (and an oap) for two places and at least one of those is playing if fit regardless.
Unless perhaps it's a player coming back from injury at a higher-division club just over the hill who need him to have regular minutes but not necessarily too many.

As for Taylor's Lincoln minutes - maybe they've promised a certain number but given he's not really a lone 9 or a winger that will tie them to a system, when Skubala appears to have been chopping and changing. Ah well, not our plrblem, we've played them twice, hope he scores hatfuls against our rivals.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:21 am

Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:16 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:47 am
I always questioned a loan for him on the basis that I’m sure Luton would want him to play more and clearly here that would not be the case.

Unless perhaps it's a player coming back from injury at a higher-division club just over the hill who need him to have regular minutes but not necessarily too many.

As for Taylor's Lincoln minutes - maybe they've promised a certain number but given he's not really a lone 9 or a winger that will tie them to a system, when Skubala appears to have been chopping and changing. Ah well, not our plrblem, we've played them twice, hope he scores hatfuls against our rivals.
Yeah I think there are some edge cases.

I’d prefer we got the wing backs sorted first anyway. If possible.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:27 am

HMX wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:09 am
brommers95 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:40 pm
I'd take him. I remember – at Plymouth away – when he got around Santos to score.

From 35 seconds:
That's the sort of ideal play we want from our forwards, sort of pacey, ankle biter-ey style that unsettles defenders. Not saying he's an ideal choice, but as we're lacking a covering striker for Charles (given Nlundulu is out), that sort of player would seem to be what we're after.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:35 am

As Brommers said to me off-forum, the Ennis deal may suit all parties well.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 am

Not to put a damper on anything, but bottom line to all this is money, of course Mr Holmes. With our stadium and current league position who wouldn't swap a lower league slot and a chance of playing in front of 20 plus thousand spectators for the Lincolns and co if the wages were right? In that respect we still have ways to go to become a big boys club again . We're getting there, but can't expect miracles just yet. I trust Evatt to get us the best deals he can and keep wishing and hoping. Better to be a skint Whites supporter than a rich plastic Manc or Scouser. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:28 pm

Luton confirm Joe Taylor signing.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:06 pm

From the official Imps’ website:
City’s director of football Jez George added: “We have worked extremely hard over a long period of time to convince Luton Town and Joe that we are the best club for the next stage of his development, so we are delighted to have secured this loan ahead of a huge number of League One clubs.”
https://www.weareimps.com/news/2024/jan ... d-options/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:21 pm

Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:28 pm
Luton confirm Joe Taylor signing.
Taylor and Draper is an excellent, if inexperienced, set of options. Defenders will know they've been in a game, as the cliché goes.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:18 pm

I know fans on forums don't always offer the most nuanced or balanced views (ahem), but having a quick read of the Blackburn forum doesn't fill me with confidence regarding Ennis. Most concerning would be the suggestions that he's not very mobile and can't stay fit - certainly not what we need right now.