Burnley vs Bolton

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: Burnley vs Bolton

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Just doing a bit of research via the power of the internet and it's interesting to note that West Ham lost their first game of the season last season. Reading lost 6 of the first 12 and we can take some comfort from Blackburn drawing and Wolves losing.
Pfffft.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Are we getting Allardyce back then? bit late for him to do.a pre season now, mind

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Coyle has built a team that is soft. He's like a bad version of Colin Todd and that's scary.

Despite that with just a little structure we'd easily have had too much for Burnley,
In an attempt to defend the at times (at least today) indefensible at least if his pursuit of Sanchez showed anything it's that he's at least acknowledged this and is trying to rectify it. It's just seems the season has once again caught Owen off guard.

edit: sorry for the awful quoting :wink:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Also

the devil incarnate at blackburn - I wonder if his team were blowing out of their arses at ipswich after half an hour?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:13 pm

hi there, i'm chris wrote:
William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Coyle has built a team that is soft. He's like a bad version of Colin Todd and that's scary.

Despite that with just a little structure we'd easily have had too much for Burnley,
Just to have a little respect for history - Colin Todd, in this division, managed the team that broke pretty much every record for good performance in the entire history of Bolton Wanderers... In what sense was that team 'soft'?
To be fair, I remember coming back from Vale Park after we drew 1-1 with Port Vale on the opening day of that season with similar feelings as today, despite it only being a draw.

We also conceded 5 away to Southend a few games later IIRC. Although we did beat Man City. How times have changed.
Indeed we did... Be nice if the end of this season was as joyous as the end of that... not confident at the moment...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: Are you quite deliberately missing the point here? I never mentioned Davies particualrly and already said it's the system that's wrong. Cannon-ball goal kicks and balls banged randomly and much of the time with not much accuracy into the opposition half, hopefully to one man wandering about on his own, just will not work. How many decent teams do it? Did Bogdan throw the ball to a Bolton player once today? If he did I must have missed it. We need football, not hoof ball. The last bit is just too soft a question to answer.
TD you seem to think that Davies is left exposed up front and being asked to plot a long lonely furrow all on his own. He isn't.

You seem to think that the fault lies in us playing long balls to him. It doesn't the problem is that he offers no movement. Watch the difference between him and Afobe, Afobe drops off his man to come and receive the ball, or spins the defender leaving a hole for the midfield player to advance into. Davies does none of this, he stands and backs into his defender.

There was one time when a ball was played into Davies feet, his first touch shinned it and his second passed it into touch.

He doesn't run the channels. He doesn't win much in the air. He doesn't turn defenders and make them face their own goal. He doesn't link up play.

Can you tell us what we should be doing to play to his strengths and tell us what exactly those are? And I mean now, not what he could do 5 years ago......

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:15 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Just doing a bit of research via the power of the internet and it's interesting to note that West Ham lost their first game of the season last season. Reading lost 6 of the first 12 and we can take some comfort from Blackburn drawing and Wolves losing.
Right - you started off quite well, after the match, but I can see you're weakening, the owd specs are starting to get a slightly rose tint. :grin:

Both those teams didn't have Coyle managing them.

One of them had a manager, who has more tactical nous in his bell end, than our fecking dimwit. That team ended up with 5 fcuking Bolton players on the pitch today, one of who scored after being set-up by another one.

In return, we have a team full of lightweight, uphill gardners, the likes of whom used to play for West Ham.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:17 pm

a1 wrote:
William the White wrote:
Just to have a little respect for history - Colin Todd, in this division, managed the team that broke pretty much every record for good performance in the entire history of Bolton Wanderers... In what sense was that team 'soft'?
colin todd nearly bankrupted us. and didnt keep us up either time. then fecked up with a horrible end to a season to not take us back up the third time.
And managed the team to the most successful season in the history of bolton wanderers, the useless bastard... :D

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:19 pm

That season under todd were ace

but i still remember losing 5-1 at the reebok to coventry the one after

i do get the insane ones comparison. but coyles far worse!

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:20 pm

For me, I consider myself a neutral (if there is such a thing) when it comes to Coyle. I'm neither in the 'Coyle Out' brigade, nor am I fully behind him. I'm on the fence. Today isn't a day to judge how well we'll do. Burnley were always going to be up for this due to the circumstances surrounding the match and it would have took a very good performance to get a result there. I also believe that had we weathered a very long storm (to half time) then we'd have took control in the second half and won. As it was, Burnley got a bit of luck with the goal and they grew in confidence. Had we played someone like Barnsley then it could be a different story. On the other hand, who's to say that all teams won't be as 'up for it' as Burnley were? That's a worrying thought for sure.

Season starts at Derby. If we don't get two comfortable wins against two very medicore sides in Derby and Forest then I'll be edging towards the 'Coyle Out' camp.

One thing I do believe though, Coyle knows what this division is about. He took a struggling Burnley side up within two years, so he does have the experience needed at this level.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:24 pm

hi there, i'm chris wrote:For me, I consider myself a neutral (if there is such a thing) when it comes to Coyle. I'm neither in the 'Coyle Out' brigade, nor am I fully behind him. I'm on the fence. Today isn't a day to judge how well we'll do. Burnley were always going to be up for this due to the circumstances surrounding the match and it would have took a very good performance to get a result there. I also believe that had we weathered a very long storm (to half time) then we'd have took control in the second half and won. As it was, Burnley got a bit of luck with the goal and they grew in confidence. Had we played someone like Barnsley then it could be a different story. On the other hand, who's to say that all teams won't be as 'up for it' as Burnley were? That's a worrying thought for sure.

Season starts at Derby. If we don't get two comfortable wins against two very medicore sides in Derby and Forest then I'll be edging towards the 'Coyle Out' camp.

One thing I do believe though, Coyle knows what this division is about. He took a struggling Burnley side up within two years, so he does have the experience needed at this level.
A voice edging towards sanity... Personally I think Coyle, rightly, is closer to Sammy Lee time (was it late October) than Megson time (late December)... And I think that makes sense...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Makes it worse watching Nolan scoring, Jussi saving, Vaz Te running, Taylor working and Big Sam grinning.

Look what you could have won......

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Yeah, pisses me off too. He spent 3 years here blowing out of his arse. Must have a decent manager or something.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: Are you quite deliberately missing the point here? I never mentioned Davies particualrly and already said it's the system that's wrong. Cannon-ball goal kicks and balls banged randomly and much of the time with not much accuracy into the opposition half, hopefully to one man wandering about on his own, just will not work. How many decent teams do it? Did Bogdan throw the ball to a Bolton player once today? If he did I must have missed it. We need football, not hoof ball. The last bit is just too soft a question to answer.
TD you seem to think that Davies is left exposed up front and being asked to plot a long lonely furrow all on his own. He isn't.

You seem to think that the fault lies in us playing long balls to him. It doesn't the problem is that he offers no movement. Watch the difference between him and Afobe, Afobe drops off his man to come and receive the ball, or spins the defender leaving a hole for the midfield player to advance into. Davies does none of this, he stands and backs into his defender.

There was one time when a ball was played into Davies feet, his first touch shinned it and his second passed it into touch.

He doesn't run the channels. He doesn't win much in the air. He doesn't turn defenders and make them face their own goal. He doesn't link up play.

Can you tell us what we should be doing to play to his strengths and tell us what exactly those are? And I mean now, not what he could do 5 years ago......
And on top of all that he dives

There was one time in the game where we had the chance to counter attack and we were well into there half and davo throws himself onto the ground a blatant dive he could shrugged him off give it to someone else but no he tryed to win a freekick so we can lump it into the box and not score

But i don't blame Davo i blame Coyle for playing him
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:48 pm

hi there, i'm chris wrote:For me, I consider myself a neutral (if there is such a thing) when it comes to Coyle. I'm neither in the 'Coyle Out' brigade, nor am I fully behind him. I'm on the fence. Today isn't a day to judge how well we'll do. Burnley were always going to be up for this due to the circumstances surrounding the match and it would have took a very good performance to get a result there. I also believe that had we weathered a very long storm (to half time) then we'd have took control in the second half and won. As it was, Burnley got a bit of luck with the goal and they grew in confidence. Had we played someone like Barnsley then it could be a different story. On the other hand, who's to say that all teams won't be as 'up for it' as Burnley were? That's a worrying thought for sure.

I agree with all of this.

On the subject of Coyle, I'm waiting at least 10 games before I reach a conclusion unless something drastic happens. I liked him when he first came to the club and I thought he did very well up until the semi against Stoke and since then, I've been disappointed but part of me still thinks that he does have managerial ability and, as fans, we should support everyone in the club through tough times, including Coyle. Right now, I'm on the fence. If things don't improve for a long time, I'll want to replace him but I'm not near that point just yet.

As for the game against Burnley, I think a lot of the replies in this thread have been hyperbolic. The first game of a season after relegation is always going to be tough, and to make matters worse, it was a very hostile, anti-Bolton crowd. It doesn't excuse out players being poor but does it explain how Burnley managed to push themselves that extra bit? I think so. People were expecting a win against Burnley because we're the better team but things are never that simple in football and intangibles often dictate the end result, as I think it did today.

Let's wait until the next few games before judging our season and Coyle.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:50 pm

Football league show not for showing the offside.

Saddest thing is we didn't compete. We didn't compete enough last season an I thought we would be a bit different against weaker opposition.

Might be a case of us not turning up. Now they need a kick up the ass.
Last edited by Mar on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Intangibles? In-fooking-tangibles?

We were fooking terrible.

Why do you think after watching Coyle's team for two and a half seasons, that we're not in a position to "judge Coyle", but in a few more games we will be?

Utter crock of shite.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Be useful if it showed an angle showing, ya know, the whole line.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Are you suffering a bit of bishopitis BWFCi? I complained about the "system" (I did watch the whole match) we operate and never once mentioned "Davies". Bish tells me I was bigging him up in the pre-season games; a bit hard to do since I only followed them on text. Maybe he, or even you can show me where I did this? Please do.

I've had much admiration for KD at Bolton, said he still has a role, never advocated he should start and realise he's on the back end of his carreer. I also accept N'gog would probably have started if fit; he isn't, so he didn't. If we carry on playing as we did today we're going to be in big trouble whoever plays up front. My post's above, try reading it properly will you? And please don't say "tell us", at least have the balls to say "tell me", since it's you who's asking . If you think we played well apart from Davies up front you should try Specsavers mate. I don't often say this, but we were utter crap today, right through the side.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:59 pm

#hautecuisineball #no

hoofball ftw