Middlesbrough to the slaughter!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Middlesbrough to the slaughter!

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:36 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:ESL, I made a point of saying out loud that I thought it was a joke fans booing and got shouted down by a gimp two seats and a row in front who told me I don't watch enough BWFC?

That's the type of fans we have now at the games :roll:
It only seems to be at the Bok though, have not seen any booing at away matches under DF.
Away fans tend to be slightly less fair-weather than homers. Probably due to the extra quids and miles to support the team.

There's bad apples everywhere but it's a bit of a filtering process, so to speak. Great fans at home too, just sometimes not as vocal.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:48 am

gizmothevoomer wrote:Fans pay to watch their team, and that gives them a right to be able to voice there approval or disapproval in any way they wish to within the law.

Chelsea fans are doing so with Benitez, Dingles with Venkies. Booing a professional sportsman should be water of a ducks back, A player is more likely to put in a shift and a performance with positive support. People who did boo Butterfield onto the pitch should have a look at themselves in my opinion maybe their Saturday would be better spent in Tescos, as anyone who wants boo his own team clearly isn't a supporter.

But they have paid money to voice their opinion and they have that right.
Edit this, do CTRL+F then replace word "they" with "we"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 am

Prufrock wrote:Well, it's quite obvious that he's saying the last ten years is the club's most successful in 50 years, so...
Is it? Where does he specify 10 years then?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:06 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Well, it's quite obvious that he's saying the last ten years is the club's most successful in 50 years, so...
Bruce, I was replying to Bobo's post about fans reacting to things because of "years of failure". What I meant was the last 10 years or 15 or whatever have been historically more successful (in terms of league positions at least) than anything in the last 50.

It's all I was saying. I realise we've been a bit shit in many ways since Allardyce left, but still we stayed in the premiership for a while after that and even in the context of struggling I don't think I'd call it "years of failure". If anything last year was a year of failure. But whatever.......

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:37 am

Has anyone read the BBC's report?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22133400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Almost Tarantino-esque approach to match reporting.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:39 am

Why, does it use the n word a lot?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bruce, I was replying to Bobo's post about fans reacting to things because of "years of failure". What I meant was the last 10 years or 15 or whatever have been historically more successful (in terms of league positions at least) than anything in the last 50.

It's all I was saying. I realise we've been a bit shit in many ways since Allardyce left, but still we stayed in the premiership for a while after that and even in the context of struggling I don't think I'd call it "years of failure". If anything last year was a year of failure. But whatever.......
... & what I was meaning was that, in the past few sesons, asking Bolton fans to watch us "defend a lead" is not going to have us sit back aand say "yeah, easy-peasy". Megson tried the defensive way and we shipped late goals, Coyle ... what was it 2 clean sheets in 50 odd games ?

So it is pushing against type, somewhat, ... although we are going to have to get used to it I think.

So the booing, disgraceful as it was, waas not simply against Butterfield but also on us withdrawing a forward for a defender/defensive midfielder.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 am

mrkint wrote:Why, does it use the n word a lot?
I think it's because Boro fetched Marsellus Wallace on in the 2nd half. Deary me - and I thought that Danny Shittu was a big bugger! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:59 am

bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

... & what I was meaning was that, in the past few sesons, asking Bolton fans to watch us "defend a lead" is not going to have us sit back aand say "yeah, easy-peasy". Megson tried the defensive way and we shipped late goals, Coyle ... what was it 2 clean sheets in 50 odd games ?

So it is pushing against type, somewhat, ... although we are going to have to get used to it I think.

So the booing, disgraceful as it was, waas not simply against Butterfield but also on us withdrawing a forward for a defender/defensive midfielder.
Yeah I know what you're saying. But we've probably on balance been more successful being "negative" than we have with the whole unrealistic "we'll score one more than you" approach that Lee and Coyle (some of the time) seemed to advocate.

I don't think in the situation we were in against Boro that doing anything but bring Butterfield on to help double up against Carayol would have made any sense. We were treading water and needed to see it through.

I get what you're saying but I put it more down to complete and utter stupidity and lack of intelligence amongst some of our support. And a sense of being spoilt over the last 2 decades or so.....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am

I think it was purely mob bullying mentality by the idiotic element of our fans. DF made exactly the same change against Wolves to barely a murmur.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:01 pm

It was nowt to do with a tactical change. Had they brought Vela on, there'd have been applause.

It's purely dick heads who think they can dictate decisions by booing, despite it being fairly obvious that it could be detrimental.

The majority of the ones booing probably didn't even see the Leicester game (which is where it stems from, surerly).

"Booooooo.. Somebody told me he played really shit last week, but I didn't see it myself. Booooo"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:14 pm

boltonboris wrote:It was nowt to do with a tactical change. Had they brought Vela on, there'd have been applause.

It's purely dick heads who think they can dictate decisions by booing, despite it being fairly obvious that it could be detrimental.

The majority of the ones booing probably didn't even see the Leicester game (which is where it stems from, surerly).

"Booooooo.. Somebody told me he played really shit last week, but I didn't see it myself. Booooo"
Exactly. I did see the Leicester game. He was shocking but it never entered my head to boo.

leyther95
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by leyther95 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Bogdan looked dodgy at times Saturday, worried me on a couple of occasions. Defence was alright.. Wing backs got caught out a couple of times especially Ricketts!

Medo - What a player. Pratley looks like a different player and the standard impressive performances from chung and eagles. Wasnt impressed with Sordell but I think Craig Davies is a belting signing. Works hard, chases everything and isnt afraid to shoot.

Our subs bench looked weak and that could be our downfall in our final push. Cant wait for Cardiff and Blackpool now. Then hopefully a trip to wembley at the back end of May!

COYWM

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:31 pm

coffeymagic wrote:Has anyone read the BBC's report?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22133400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the first paragraph is wrong.

Bolton's victory over 10-man Middlesbrough - their eighth successive home win - ensured Dougie Freedman's side moved into the play-offs.

Should we be starting the party...?
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:51 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Years of failure? Can't go with that. We've just had the most successful period the club has enjoyed in the last 50 years.
Not so... We've just had the best run of home matches in the second tier... Slight difference... I think you'd agree...
I was referring to the last ten years or so
There! ^
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:03 am

Dougie'sEleven wrote:
coffeymagic wrote:Has anyone read the BBC's report?

And the first paragraph is wrong.

Bolton's victory over 10-man Middlesbrough - their eighth successive home win - ensured Dougie Freedman's side moved into the play-offs.

Should we be starting the party...?
Parity lasted three minutes as Jonathan Woodgate was sent off for a foul on Marvin Sordell and the striker struck from the spot for a valuable win.
That bit too

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Dyer was Knight's man. It was 3 on 3 in the middle as the ball was crossed (after Ricketts was licked for pace by their No 8 again for the cross) Knight, absolutely inexplicably, runs off of Dyer (his man) and into this no-man's land towards the right hand side of our six yard box. The ball sails over his useless jump, as you might expect. Dawson leaves his man to try and cover Knight's Sunday League player type mistake but can't get there in time. As such, one of the shortest players in the league scores an almost free header.
As Bruce subsequently notes, Zat did similar for Bristol City's goal, but on the other side. Which sounds worryingly like it's being coached...? "Try to at least use your height to cut out the cross"?
BWFC_Insane wrote:Essentially four new defenders needed next season, possibly 3 if Wheater returns and is ok.
I've been saying this for a while. Not to claim YHIHF, but it has worried me, and the welcome uncertainty over which division we'll be in doesn't help settle the matter. We won't have pots to spend but like most I trust Dougie to pull some out of the bag - arguably most urgently a left-back. Given the lack of cash and stated commitment to youth I think our first-choice right-back might be Joe Riley, who signed a 3.5yr contract, deputised by Ricketts, who still has a year left. So does Knight, and we won't find a buyer, so he'll be around, as will Mills and Ream in all probability. Worries me slightly that Wheater is being built up as The Answer: he's a whole-hearted lad and I like him but milk turns quicker and he's miles off Dawson's level.
mrkint wrote:Just noticing Scott Dann is plying his trade at the 'burn :shock: wasn't he like, hot property not so long ago? Then again, so was he and his central defensive partner Roger 'a few late ones last night, boss' Johnson...currently at Wolves :? how the (hyperbole alert) mighty have fallen.
Dann and Johnson were centre-backs in a "sum exceeds the parts" Birmingham defensive unit - well coached, albeit also benefitting from a whole-team defensive ethic. Despite Arsenal rumours, it's no coincidence that neither got a move to a big club.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:18 pm

I did enjoy Chris Eagles's celebration.

The racing down the touchline is a classic.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey