Kick off with a glass or two of claret!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Kick off with a glass or two of claret!

Post by Jugs » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:21 pm

I thought Beckford was glaringly lacking match sharpness. His control was poor. Hopefully he'll get better because we need this signing to work out.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I don't think there was anything wrong with the system or tactics today. In fact I'd say the opposite, they were spot on.

The issue is the players we have available in certain positions.

In midfield we struggle with the creative side of the game because Mark Davies is out. Equally we got overrun so many times today because Andrews and Medo just couldn't get a grip of things in there. Get Spearing in and it would help in terms of being able to win the ball back better and having some life in there.

Same at CB, we just need a better player or ideally two. The goal Burnley scored was two individual mistakes from the centre backs. From a long punt downfield. Other than that goal they created nowt of consequence. Which says to me that we were well organised and in the right shape.

There is a problem as well with our attacking play and that is that one of our so called creative players constantly made the wrong decision today, never beat his man, and stopped a few very promising attacks with some poor passing. Dougie said earlier this week, we need another winger and I fully agree with that cos I don't think LCY is good enough to fire us out of this division.
There are plenty of managers in this league who would kill for the sort of talent we have at Bolton. There are issues within the squad, absolutely, and I thought Beckford, Chungy and Wheater were underprepared, but that doesn't excuse the sort of performance we put in. How many times did we have control possession? How many chances did we create stemming from midfield? How many crosses did our wingers put in? How many long balls were hopelessly booted forward?

And yet you look around at some of the lesser teams in the league - Burnley included - and they're have a clear structure set in place. They know how to work around their weaknesses and focus on their strengths. They had a clear strategy to score goals, which we don't have now and didn't have last year.

It's too easy to blame the players for what is wrong with our team. Andrews, Medo, Pratley, Chungy and Eagles might not be the strongest midfield in the league but if they are incapable of providing clear chances for a striker like Beckford, that tells you more about the tactics than the individuals. They'd have to be terrible players to create as little as they do and that just isn't the case. Again, go back to last year and look at how few chances we created. It's just poor. We can't always rely on brilliance from players like Eagles or sheer luck to create goals, we need better play.

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:28 pm

thebish wrote:meanwhile the utterly rubbish and club-destroying calamity gets off to a decent start with a 4-0 away win.. :wink:

currently:

Coyle 3ppg
Freedman 1ppg
Seem to remember he started well here too!! give it time!!!

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:33 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I don't think there was anything wrong with the system or tactics today. In fact I'd say the opposite, they were spot on.

In midfield we struggle with the creative side of the game because Mark Davies is out. Equally we got overrun so many times today because Andrews and Medo just couldn't get a grip of things in there. Get Spearing in and it would help in terms of being able to win the ball back better and having some life in there.

Same at CB, we just need a better player or ideally two. The goal Burnley scored was two individual mistakes from the centre backs. From a long punt downfield. Other than that goal they created nowt of consequence. Which says to me that we were well organised and in the right shape.

There is a problem as well with our attacking play and that is that one of our so called creative players constantly made the wrong decision today, never beat his man, and stopped a few very promising attacks with some poor passing. Dougie said earlier this week, we need another winger and I fully agree with that cos I don't think LCY is good enough to fire us out of this division.
There are plenty of managers in this league who would kill for the sort of talent we have at Bolton. There are issues within the squad, absolutely, and I thought Beckford, Chungy and Wheater were underprepared, but that doesn't excuse the sort of performance we put in. How many times did we have control possession? How many chances did we create stemming from midfield? How many crosses did our wingers put in? How many long balls were hopelessly booted forward?

And yet you look around at some of the lesser teams in the league - Burnley included - and they're have a clear structure set in place. They know how to work around their weaknesses and focus on their strengths. They had a clear strategy to score goals, which we don't have now and didn't have last year.

It's too easy to blame the players for what is wrong with our team. Andrews, Medo, Pratley, Chungy and Eagles might not be the strongest midfield in the league but if they are incapable of providing clear chances for a striker like Beckford, that tells you more about the tactics than the individuals. They'd have to be terrible players to create as little as they do and that just isn't the case. Again, go back to last year and look at how few chances we created. It's just poor. We can't always rely on brilliance from players like Eagles or sheer luck to create goals, we need better play.
Game 1!! - you will be on Valium by Christmas if you keep this optimistic view takes at least 10 games to gel a team together. I am sure we will improve in the next few games.

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:33 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:

Game 1!! - you will be on Valium by Christmas if you keep this optimistic view takes at least 10 games to gel a team together. I am sure we will improve in the next few games.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:50 pm

thebish wrote:meanwhile the utterly rubbish and club-destroying calamity gets off to a decent start with a 4-0 away win.. :wink:

currently:

Coyle 3ppg
Freedman 1ppg
Indeed - I think I'll skip his comments. We were the only team to draw today - I imaging that is unusual. Puts us mid-table of course.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

currently:

Coyle 3ppg
Freedman 1ppg
Indeed - I think I'll skip his comments. We were the only team to draw today - I imaging that is unusual. Puts us mid-table of course.
Burnley drew as well.......

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:01 pm

The reason I am frustrated is because I expected better in the first game than what we saw last year. We've heard people bang on for ages about how 'Freedman would get better performances after a pre-season' and so on, but the same tactical and strategical flaws are still there. Freedman seems to want to build a solid team without many flaws, which then relies on the inspiration and creativity from individuals to get goals, rather than us becoming a side capable of threatening the opposition from simple, good attacking play. This is why the short period with Mark Davies in our side last year was so good, because Freedman heavily relies on individuals performers. We have so few ideas going forward, it's not good to watch and it doesn't give me much hope either. I want to see something more than "don't concede and when you get the ball, pass it to Davies/Moritz/Eagles and if they're unavailable, boot it up for Beckford/N'Gog to chase".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:What did he say
Just the usual, needs a few more signings....
he has signed a couple of creative players (two of which he didn't play) and a striker... so if we are deficient in those areas, then he's partly to blame, no?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

currently:

Coyle 3ppg
Freedman 1ppg
We're below both Yeovil and Bournemouth.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

currently:

Coyle 3ppg
Freedman 1ppg
Burnley drew as well.......
:lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:09 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
he has signed a couple of creative players (two of which he didn't play) and a striker... so if we are deficient in those areas, then he's partly to blame, no?
Moritz isn't fit yet. The areas we are lacking are primarily centre half and central midfield.

He knows that. And another winger. So no there is nowt he can do until those players are obtained.

We all know the difference Dawson and Spearing made last season. Spine of the team is weaker.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:13 pm

But we are above Blackburn and Burnley :)
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Surely every manager always wants to sign more players? That's the nature of football, no? And that the best managerd make the best of what they've got in the meantime?

If we're waiting for a raft of new signings coming with the promise of better times, I feel we may be waiting a while.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Moritz isn't fit yet. The areas we are lacking are primarily centre half and central midfield.

He knows that. And another winger. So no there is nowt he can do until those players are obtained.

We all know the difference Dawson and Spearing made last season. Spine of the team is weaker.
ahh - but you did say our creative players were not being very creative... is Hall unfit? also - if Moritz isn't fit - why was he on the bench?

Medo was in central midfield - who you say went missing up the field and didn't seem to know where he should be..

why didn't he know where he should be?

surely the art of management is managing the resources you have to maximum effect to achieve results? Are the resources we currently have not capable of being managed in such a way as to beat what Burnley had on offer today?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:25 pm

anyway - we're only two points off automatic promotion! yay! ;-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:48 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

ahh - but you did say our creative players were not being very creative... is Hall unfit? also - if Moritz isn't fit - why was he on the bench?

Medo was in central midfield - who you say went missing up the field and didn't seem to know where he should be..

why didn't he know where he should be?

surely the art of management is managing the resources you have to maximum effect to achieve results? Are the resources we currently have not capable of being managed in such a way as to beat what Burnley had on offer today?
Medo got caught because Andrews was pish. Nobodies saying we just give up until we get better players in. Equally we are short of the quality required in key areas.

Everyone knows that.

Freedman has taken these players and added the steel and organisation. Which is why we've got a far better result today than the same game last season. And that was without Mark Davies who played last season.

But we all know the issues here and they can't be improved without better players in those key positions.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Just watched the first half and don't think I'll bother with the second until tomorrow.

Good passing at times, Pratley's finish was excellent, back 4 looked like they could develop into a solid unit but still need a lot of work done and off the ball we look more organised. Reasonably pleased with the result and hopefully we continue our Home form.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:18 pm

thought they came out quick & furious, but after 10 mins the 1 st half evened out.

disappointed with us in 2nd half. ball retention and control of game generally poor. their most dangeous player & play all game stemmed from their right back. constantly overlapping and putting dangerous crosses just in the right spot between our back line & boggers. thought it flagged us playing with no natural left midfielder & defending not really being chungy's thing

thought we finished the stronger in last 10 mins - once we had ngog & davies on. Beckford does make great runs but does not look like he will a 1 up front target man who can hold it up

boggers didn't provide necessary reassurance a couple of times - weird as he's not a novice now. thought defence was generally OK despite all stick centre halfs are getting, albeit wheater was turned and left to too easily for the goal.

midfield - its really them who need to control the game. without the natural left sided player we are unbalanced, but theres still not something right. everybodys shouting for spearing, but not convinced thats the answer - even last season when we had him there was lots of games where we were having to control the game without the ball ....

overall point was fair result

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:21 pm

More importantly anyone know the extent of Eagles injury
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience