Bolton v Wolves

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Bolton v Wolves

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:22 pm

t_o_molloy wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
t_o_molloy wrote:I thought Rodrigo was extraordinarily shite last night.
Really? Him and Holden were the ones chasing the Wolves defence which lead to the goal, I said that was pretty important?
His first touch was shite, some of his attempted passes were appalling, and he always tries cutting inside despite him already being on his stronger foot - he can't beat a man. I am a fan of Rodrigo, not buying into the ridiculous hype some fans have given him but I genuinely believe a fully fit Danny Ward would offer more than Rodrigo.
How was he cutting inside on his stronger foot when playing on the left wing.....when he's left footed?
If you honestly think Danny Ward would offer more than Rodrigo, I think you need to reassess your life in general. I agree that maybe he's not worthy of the ridiculous hype just yet, but the lad has only played around 10 games in the Premier League having played all his life in Spain where it's more laid back than a Lazy-Boy chair! Give him a friggin break. No one played well last night. Danny Ward.... PAH! Add him to the Saviour list
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Post by t_o_molloy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:27 pm

MJH-12 wrote:
t_o_molloy wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
Really? Him and Holden were the ones chasing the Wolves defence which lead to the goal, I said that was pretty important?
His first touch was shite, some of his attempted passes were appalling, and he always tries cutting inside despite him already being on his stronger foot - he can't beat a man. I am a fan of Rodrigo, not buying into the ridiculous hype some fans have given him but I genuinely believe a fully fit Danny Ward would offer more than Rodrigo.
How was he cutting inside on his stronger foot when playing on the left wing.....when he's left footed?
If you honestly think Danny Ward would offer more than Rodrigo, I think you need to reassess your life in general. I agree that maybe he's not worthy of the ridiculous hype just yet, but the lad has only played around 10 games in the Premier League having played all his life in Spain where it's more laid back than a Lazy-Boy chair! Give him a friggin break. No one played well last night. Danny Ward.... PAH! Add him to the Saviour list
Read it, I said he cut inside DESPITE ALREADY BEING ON HIS STRONGER FOOT, he always does the same trick which he uses to cut inside, it works when he's on the right wing, when he does it on the left it just looks ridiculous. Maybe the Ward comments were over the top but he showed enough at Swindon last season (despite being 2 leagues lower) that he has all the tools to be a Premier League striker-cum-winger and he's younger than Rodrigo, as he actually tries to run past a man and get a cross in when playing on the wing rather than just cutting inside onto his weaker foot and fluffing a pass.
Besides, I actually like Rodrigo, I think he was our best player against Wigan and I couldn't understand him being dropped but last night he was bad and as I unfortunately sit in the West Stand, I saw each one of his fluffed attempts at close hand and if you can't accept that it's you that needs to reassess your life.
Last edited by t_o_molloy on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Bruno3 wrote: Kevin Davies and Elmander need pensioning off.
Kev Davies needs a rest, not pensioning off. He's played ninety minutes (okay, he got a two minute rest last night for Muamba) every league game since Lord knows when. He gets kicked, clogged and held repeatedly every game because defenders know they can get away with murder with him because the refs will give him nothing. His body must be knackered to say the least, and when that happens the mind gets affected. He's quite rightly jaded.

Twice last night he was physically grabbed around the chest to stop him jumping in holds that would have stopped Mick McManus, the ref ignored both. Shirt-grabbing, elbow,hands on shoulders and blatant shoving all go un-punished. Being captain isn't helping him right now either. As such he's the one who has to get in the refs' faces for decisions and that won't endear his already tarnished reputation. He's quite often the only white shirt forward and what's the point of winning knock-downs in those situations? Coyle knows his value at unsettling defence, but he does it best when he's up for it. The guy needs a break, a complete one and he'll come back as good as ever. He won't like it, but it's pretty obvious he needs it. Pension him off? Ridiculous, ask any opposition manager.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 pm

t_o_molloy wrote:
MJH-12 wrote:
t_o_molloy wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
Read it, I said he cut inside DESPITE ALREADY BEING ON HIS STRONGER FOOT, he always does the same trick which he uses to cut inside, it works when he's on the right wing, when he does it on the left it just looks ridiculous. Maybe the Ward comments were over the top but he showed enough at Swindon last season (despite being 2 leagues lower) that he has all the tools to be a Premier League striker-cum-winger and he's younger than Rodrigo, as he actually tries to run past a man and get a cross in when playing on the wing rather than just cutting inside onto his weaker foot and fluffing a pass.
My apologies mate!
Yes they were over the top, and you just added to them by mentioning Swindon. Nothing about "despite being 2 leagues lower", he wouldn't reproduce that form in the Premier League. If he was good enough, and Coyle thought the same, then he'd be in the squad. FACT
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Kev Davies needs a rest, not pensioning off. He's played ninety minutes (okay, he got a two minute rest last night for Muamba) every league game since Lord knows when. He gets kicked, clogged and held repeatedly every game because defenders know they can get away with murder with him because the refs will give him nothing. His body must be knackered to say the least, and when that happens the mind gets affected. He's quite rightly jaded.

Twice last night he was physically grabbed around the chest to stop him jumping in holds that would have stopped Mick McManus, the ref ignored both. Shirt-grabbing, elbow,hands on shoulders and blatant shoving all go un-punished. Being captain isn't helping him right now either. As such he's the one who has to get in the refs' faces for decisions and that won't endear his already tarnished reputation. He's quite often the only white shirt forward and what's the point of winning knock-downs in those situations? Coyle knows his value at unsettling defence, but he does it best when he's up for it. The guy needs a break, a complete one and he'll come back as good as ever. He won't like it, but it's pretty obvious he needs it. Pension him off? Ridiculous, ask any opposition manager.
What TD said.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

I agree with this Twinkletoes. Perhaps Davies should be given a decent rest - maybe the next 2 PL games and the cup game which can then encompass the international break?

As an aside, Elmander seems to be coming in for a lot of stick. Last night he had 2 good chances in the first 10 minutes, one very well saved and one header from a Taylor? cross which fell to CYL. Had those 2 gone in things would be a lot different today. Could Elmander's lack of recent goals be related to Davies's drop in form?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:46 pm

Wandering Willy wrote: Could Elmander's lack of recent goals be related to Davies's drop in form?
Quite possibly. Chuck Norris gets tired before Davo, but it happens. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Re jussi standing still,it's what experiened keepers do. Better to be up for a rebound than on the floor having impressed everyone with a glorious futile dive. Nowt wrong with Jussi except when pressured on crosses.I seem to remember him standing up well on an early one on one which was also quite important in the context of the match.

RobbieSavagesLeg
Promising
Promising

Post by RobbieSavagesLeg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Olé Olé Olé Olééééééééééé.

We won.
We're 8th.
We got a clean sheet.
We've got a new saviour.
First Double this season.
Lee's back.

I'm dead happy me.
I'd rather support Bolton than be you.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:10 pm

RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:Olé Olé Olé Olééééééééééé.

We won.
We're 8th.
We got a clean sheet.
We've got a new saviour.
First Double this season.
Lee's back.

I'm dead happy me.
+1

Nice report, MJH!

Sounds like a lucky win but we've also had some unlucky losses this season. Chungy looked great on MOTD.

Bit disappointed if there was booing, but can't wait for my next visit to the Reebok.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:07 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:
On topic - We have to beat wolves. We should beat Wolves. We have more options now so freshening up required from Coyle. This is a good squad, better than we've had for a while, and we'll see some great games out of them again this season. Let's start tomorrow.
So it's a 0-0 shitefest then? Can't wait.
It was a shitefest. Only just got the score wrong.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:20 pm

More sober reflections on the game.

Davo is knackered and in need of a rest, everyone can see this. It is getting to the point I think with his age where you have to choose between a Davo playing every minute of every game, and turning in performances similar to the last few weeks, or where you use him more sparingly, 25 starts or so. I'd much rather have the second. Also, re:Davo, again he proved in the last 15 mins last night that he is far better when he gets a run at the ball and just concentrates on that, instead of all the standing ground argy bargy he ALWAYS gets pulled up for. It's embarrassing however, the utter double standards of referees. Everytime the ball went forward the first thing Doyle did was attempt to give Cahill a reach around. Cracking player though.

Elmander is so so frustrating. BWFCi can go on about watching how much running he does but it's utterly f*cking useless when, whenever he comes within touching distance of the ball, he falls over or ducks out of it. He's a big f*cking ponce and it's not France anymore you useless bastard. Has roughly 7 times the ability of Davies but absolutely no application. F*ck only knows what was going on in October and November, maybe his gas company were cocking him about and making him angry but he is back to useless sack of shite territory.

Jussi, well, he has come in for a lot of very unfair stick recently IMO, my dad for instance reckons he was at fault for all four of Chelsea's goals! but he was woefully flat footed for the deflection onto the post. It hung in the air for literally ten minutes. He had time to spark up a fag, wander up the other end and ask Fat Pavluchenko if he was enjoying his night, stroll back via a quick ham shank in the showers and he should still have got there. Also thought he was very slow on the Jarvis chance, could have got there, but he recovered well, making himself big and making him rush. Overall this season I don't think he is at the level he was four or five years ago, but he is still a top keeper.

Ricketts, massively mixed back, went from very good to very bad very quickly. His shot in the first half, I was right behind, and he will never catch a ball so sweetly again. Guilty of woeful concentration at times, stopping ten yards inside his own half to let a ball go out for a goalkick that never came close to doing so. He dealt better with Jarvis than at their place, but then he has been poor for a few weeks now.

Holden and MD had their best game together so far but we cannot get away with playing those two in there against three men midfields, even ones as shite as Wolves. Taylor was solid, nothing more, nothing less. Don't think, despite the clean sheet, either Cahill or Knight played well, and if Wolves had got anyone within half a pitch of Doyle, who held it up both unfairly and excellently all night, they might have troubled us a bit more. Even the shot against the post came from Knight giving Doyle time to get it out of his feet and run at him. Cahill was a bit too keen to play action man again and couldn't get round their own KD.

Robbo, again one of our best players. Thought he had done something stupid and was going to get sent off with Stearman but the guy knows no fear. If he was quick......

Most of all, how good was it to see Chungy back?! Not only is he a cracking little footballer but just the balance a non shite right foot gives us out there. Happy days. That said he must be f*cking SICK of football by now.

Subs, Sturridge didn't do much pther than score. I'll take that every week. Rodrigo, was pretty wank. Tried hard to make an impact but it really didn't work out for him. One of those days. Muamba, well don't think he miss-controlled it! Gave SKD a well needed rest, I'm sure he'll com...oh wait, it was 45 seconds. On Muamba, was fecking gutted when the final whistle went, he was in on a 50-50 challenge with Stearman to go 1 on 1, that would have been excellent! Worst case scenario a funny story to tell the grandkids.

As for Wolves, keeper and Doyle good, Hammil and Jarvis threatening without actually threatening, fullbacks absolutely dreadful, rest poor to middling.

Confidence booster hopefully, and a well needed, and just deserved three points.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Oh also, the booing was balls. Happened at half time in th'Fa cup too. When did I start supporting Spurs?! Save that stuff for the PROPER shite.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:29 pm

I thought Rodrigo was poor, and has generally been poor most of the time he's been here. Aside from that one occaison against Wigan, nothing ever comes of anything he does. The one benefit of Sturridge being our new saviour is that it'll stop everyone from hyping up Moreno.

And surely 'the referee gave Davies nothing' isn't really a compelling arguement for keeping him in the team, if you're saying the same thing every week. Right or wrong, if he is consistently hampered by shite refereeing (and I don't think it's as bad as people say it is) then there's no point playing him.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Rodrigo mainly cuts back inside when he realises that none of the forwards he needs to cross it to have got forward into the box, just an observation like
Pfffft.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:59 pm

I think Rodrigo is being played out of position. He is a 2nd striker with the explosive pace, skill and shot to do well there. Better suited in Elmanders position instead of the wing. He is uncomfortable out there and is taking its toll. He was awful yesterday but is a much better player than that.

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Last night summed up what it means to be a Wanderer....

89.59 mins of total despair and one moment of total, uncontrolled passion and joy!

It's all worth it in the end!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:58 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:I think Rodrigo is being played out of position. He is a 2nd striker with the explosive pace, skill and shot to do well there. Better suited in Elmanders position instead of the wing. He is uncomfortable out there and is taking its toll. He was awful yesterday but is a much better player than that.
This is true. Most pacey strikers we've had since I can remember have struggled with the same thing..... they never get to actually play up front.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:01 pm

finlayson wrote:Last night summed up what it means to be a Wanderer....

89.59 mins of total despair and one moment of total, uncontrolled passion and joy!

It's all worth it in the end!

that's exactly it... we wouldn't change it for the world - would we??

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:27 pm

I wouldn't complain if we won a few more games. And were less shit just at those moments when it would be really nice not to be shit.

But other than that.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.