Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:49 pm

Agreed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Fair enough. Did he say we'll be signing them whether or not the manager likes it, or did he use the conditional tense ("We would like")? Did he say "And that's just for starters: you can immediately extrapolate this as meaning we will be signing who we jolly well please"?
No he didn't. I guess he'd be a bit pissed off if the new manager said "they're all a bag o shoite" though...
In which case the manager would have to back that opinion up with alternatives, as you or I would in a similar situation. I mean, it's possible that KA and DH will rule by diktat (providing they can come to consensus considering they're 50/50...) but it's far more likely that they will be throwing their experience and help in with the manager, for a common goal. Like most adults in a working situation, they'll bump along and may have their disagreements. In the end, he who signs the cheques has the veto - doesn't mean he demands total control.
Yes I agree. But this is different to the model we have been used to.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Fair enough. Did he say we'll be signing them whether or not the manager likes it, or did he use the conditional tense ("We would like")? Did he say "And that's just for starters: you can immediately extrapolate this as meaning we will be signing who we jolly well please"?
No he didn't. I guess he'd be a bit pissed off if the new manager said "they're all a bag o shoite" though...
In which case the manager would have to back that opinion up with alternatives, as you or I would in a similar situation. I mean, it's possible that KA and DH will rule by diktat (providing they can come to consensus considering they're 50/50...) but it's far more likely that they will be throwing their experience and help in with the manager, for a common goal. Like most adults in a working situation, they'll bump along and may have their disagreements. In the end, he who signs the cheques has the veto - doesn't mean he demands total control.
Yes I agree. But this is different to the model we have been used to.
which - given recent events - might not be a bad thing!!!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:43 pm

I'm bored of this already. Have we got our new manager yet?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I'm bored of this already. Have we got our new manager yet?
Not yet. Give it.... a couple of days.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:20 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I'm bored of this already. Have we got our new manager yet?
Not yet. Give it.... a couple of days.
I was thinking more "48 hours".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:25 pm

I have been away for the last three days. Have I missed anything?

I hadn't even heard of Chris Wilder until a week or so ago so know nothing about him. However, what I do like is his win percentage has increased at the three clubs he has managed.

Halifax - Win Percentage 38.5% - Points 1.4 per game
Oxford - Win Percentage 45% - Points 1.61 per game
Northampton - Win Percentage 48.3% - Points 1.66 per game

I have simplified the points per game and used his totals from Wiki. It will include cup matches so these are not strictly 'points' as such but offers a different stat based on the games he has managed.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:33 pm

I wouldn't know him if he turned up at my door either, Malc, so thanks for that. Looks encouraging :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:40 am

John Carver !!!
JOHN FECKIN CARVER is apparently on the shortlist of 3
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... xt_season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John 3 wins in 5 months Carver

OMG Nooooooooooooooo

I was hoping things were going to get better from now on
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:57 am

nelson66 wrote:John Carver !!!
JOHN FECKIN CARVER is apparently on the shortlist of 3
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... xt_season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John 3 wins in 5 months Carver

OMG Nooooooooooooooo

I was hoping things were going to get better from now on

to be fair - that WOULD be an improvement! :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:36 am

Carver is an interesting one. When I first heard his name linked my lip instinctively curled. But there's a certain sense to it. He's long been one of the best-regarded coaches in the country - he had to retire from professional football at 20 and immediately set about getting his badges and more importantly experience. By the age of 27 he was head of Newcastle's academy; at 34, he was elevated to assistant manager by new Toon boss Bobby Robson.

Obviously his time managing Newcastle was awful. I suspect he was acting more on emotion than intellect, and he’s admitted that he said some things - that he was the best coach in the Premier League, that Mike Williamson got himself sent off on purpose - in order to provoke the players. Let’s be honest, bigger-name managers than him have struggled at that club: Allardyce’s win ratio was 33%, Keegan (second coming) 29%, Pardew 38%, McClaren 23%, Benitez currently 0%.

Being totally honest, I think hiring him would be a risk. But risk is about the potential upside. He wouldn’t be fazed by having KA/DH help him with transfers - at Newcastle it’s more or less all decided by Graham Carr (Alan’s dad). He’s got a good track record of coaching and working with youngsters. He’s definitely enthusiastic – of the names mentioned, he’s the most likely to have offered to walk to Bolton – and has a big point to prove. He wouldn’t be my first choice, but then I haven’t interviewed him.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:22 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Carver is an interesting one. When I first heard his name linked my lip instinctively curled. But there's a certain sense to it. He's long been one of the best-regarded coaches in the country - he had to retire from professional football at 20 and immediately set about getting his badges and more importantly experience. By the age of 27 he was head of Newcastle's academy; at 34, he was elevated to assistant manager by new Toon boss Bobby Robson.

Obviously his time managing Newcastle was awful. I suspect he was acting more on emotion than intellect, and he’s admitted that he said some things - that he was the best coach in the Premier League, that Mike Williamson got himself sent off on purpose - in order to provoke the players. Let’s be honest, bigger-name managers than him have struggled at that club: Allardyce’s win ratio was 33%, Keegan (second coming) 29%, Pardew 38%, McClaren 23%, Benitez currently 0%.
:lol: bravo!! :oyea:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:03 pm

It'll be interesting to see if any of the three are sat in the stands tomorrow.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:It'll be interesting to see if any of the three are sat in the stands tomorrow.
Particularly the one or two in jobs!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:It'll be interesting to see if any of the three are sat in the stands tomorrow.
Particularly the one or two in jobs!
now that WOULD provoke comment! :D

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:05 am

Jimmy Phillips applied for the job? Wise move?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:46 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Jimmy Phillips applied for the job? Wise move?
No.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:12 am

What's baffling me is if you are currently in a job and you are successful and not on the brink of the sack why would you apply for a job at a financially crippled club like ours???

Wilder is currently at Northampton and apparently a front runner, last week he was drinking champagne after winning promotion and probably the League 2 title with the cobblers (maybe he was in a drunken haze and decided to apply for a laugh?)

Carver is currently out of work so I see he would be interested in the job nothing to lose etc. etc. could be a good move for him and we could benefit he was always seen as a good coach at The Toon?

No idea who the third candidate is but apparently he is also in a job but it is not Browny or Big Sam!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:20 am

Norpig wrote:What's baffling me is if you are currently in a job and you are successful and not on the brink of the sack why would you apply for a job at a financially crippled club like ours???

Wilder is currently at Northampton and apparently a front runner, last week he was drinking champagne after winning promotion and probably the League 2 title with the cobblers (maybe he was in a drunken haze and decided to apply for a laugh?)

Carver is currently out of work so I see he would be interested in the job nothing to lose etc. etc. could be a good move for him and we could benefit he was always seen as a good coach at The Toon?

No idea who the third candidate is but apparently he is also in a job but it is not Browny or Big Sam!
But with that logic why would Sam leave a Europe bound Bolton for the farce that is Newcastle? Presumably felt they could match his ambition more than we could. It's possible wilder or other managers in a similar situation might feel the same.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:29 am

The idea of Carver doesn't fill me with joy, but then not many Leicester fans wanted Ranieri, who'd lost his last match as manager of Greece to the Faroe Islands.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.