Kick off with a glass or two of claret!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: Kick off with a glass or two of claret!

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:14 am

I wish I had the appetite for an exchange of tactical essays at this stage in the season. I thought several players on both sides looked liked they hadn't kicked a ball since last season at times on Saturday.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:34 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I wish I had the appetite for an exchange of tactical essays at this stage in the season. I thought several players on both sides looked liked they hadn't kicked a ball since last season at times on Saturday.
^ now that looks dangerously like common sense! :D

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:03 pm

You see, with a fully-functioning, integrated public transport infrastructure at his disposal, mummy was able to arrive in time at a pub of his choosing, reserve for himself a seat with a clear view of the action, and in his relaxed state from the ease of his journey, sensibly disseminate the information before him into a calm, clear and concise conclusion.

I knew I was right.

Bet the journey home was a breeze too.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Briefly, as I've been away and haven't got time to read the thread (so apologies for any duplication)

Front four looked threatening, interchanged well, but I would have liked more changes there after the hour. We have the personnel.

Midfield two I thought looked alright, tidy and perceptive, although nothing that mightn't be improved with a Spearing.

Full-backs looked solid and tried to link up.

But the centre-backs are a frigging nightmare. Burnley scored because Ings ran twice as fast with the ball as Wheater could without. Teams will notice that, I fear.

Main priority is a centre-back. Second priority is a centre-back. If we can sacrifice Andrews for Spearing, fair enough, but we could have Yaya, Xavi and Iniesta in midfield and I'd still worry about Wheater/Knight behind them.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Briefly, as I've been away and haven't got time to read the thread (so apologies for any duplication)

Front four looked threatening, interchanged well, but I would have liked more changes there after the hour. We have the personnel.

Midfield two I thought looked alright, tidy and perceptive, although nothing that mightn't be improved with a Spearing.

Full-backs looked solid and tried to link up.

But the centre-backs are a frigging nightmare. Burnley scored because Ings ran twice as fast with the ball as Wheater could without. Teams will notice that, I fear.

Main priority is a centre-back. Second priority is a centre-back. If we can sacrifice Andrews for Spearing, fair enough, but we could have Yaya, Xavi and Iniesta in midfield and I'd still worry about Wheater/Knight behind them.
We played 4-2-4?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:06 pm

No, but all DSB means is we played with four attack minded players, 3 who seem encouraged to inter change behind the striker.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Aye. Front four being Beckford in front of Pratley between two wingers.

Formation went to shit when N'gog came on and Prats went wide, mind. Try as he might, he's no wide man.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:40 am

Incidentally, we looked the better side once Pratley went out wide. Maybe that says more about Burnley than us. Bit of head scratching by Dyche.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"