Nolan's return to the Reebok

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:Feck me. People say Elmander 'owes us' and should 'show some loyalty' and then we get folk slagging Nolan off. He should get an absolute hero's reception, raise the roof both before the game and after. For the intervening 90 odd minutes, of course, I hope he has a shocker. Well part of me wants him to score a hattrick as we win 4-3, but you get the picture. Polite applause? Fook me. Danny Guthrie will get polite applause.
Part of you wants to see a rival team put three past us. Words fail me.
Businesswoman of the year.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Hopefully Nolan won't get on the scoresheet but if he did i'd hope he had the sense of mind to keep the celebrations low key. He was an absolute star for us and deserves the credit coming his way. I'd champion him for getting an England call up due to his scoring abilities, to have someone whose been scoring so frequent in many seasons in the Premiership (he was only behind Lamps and Gerrard but still didn't get the nod), theres been so many worse players in the England squad (Jenas for example) so it would only be right to see him called up. That being said i'd also like to think Muamba's got a better shout at ousting Gareth Barry than Nolan does at ousting Gerrard or Lampard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:10 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Feck me. People say Elmander 'owes us' and should 'show some loyalty' and then we get folk slagging Nolan off. He should get an absolute hero's reception, raise the roof both before the game and after. For the intervening 90 odd minutes, of course, I hope he has a shocker. Well part of me wants him to score a hattrick as we win 4-3, but you get the picture. Polite applause? Fook me. Danny Guthrie will get polite applause.
Only part of me. You know, as we win. No danger though, coz he's shite.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:13 pm

Looking forward to welcoming Kev back

he's a decent bloke, was mr bolton when he was here and was a good captain

Applaud from me, very heartily!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:15 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
I'd be very interested to see a poll as to whether folk would rather us beat say Fulham 4-0 and they go down with Man Utd staying up, or us beat them 4-3 with that goal difference keeping nice neutral Fulham up and United going down. Perhaps then the idea that fans of one team might not be too bothered about however many the opposition scored against them as long as they won might not seem so incomprehensible?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 am

What a bunch of pansy's Nobber Nolan, northern pie eating champion is the feckin' enemy now and should be treated as such. Robinson should give him a "welcome back to the Reebok" on Nobbers first touch, we should all throw pies, empty beer cans, ladies underware and Talcum powder to make him and his team mates feel at home.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:00 am

Prufrock wrote:.... I'd be very interested to see a poll as to whether folk would rather us beat say Fulham 4-0 and they go down with Man Utd staying up, or us beat them 4-3 with that goal difference keeping nice neutral Fulham up and United going down.
Pru, I'm sure YOU understand that hypothesis .... but I'm fecked if I do. :shock:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:02 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Prufrock wrote:.... I'd be very interested to see a poll as to whether folk would rather us beat say Fulham 4-0 and they go down with Man Utd staying up, or us beat them 4-3 with that goal difference keeping nice neutral Fulham up and United going down.
Pru, I'm sure YOU understand that hypothesis .... but I'm fecked if I do. :shock:
I think I might if I worked really hard at it, it's just that some things definitely repay close attention and hard work, but I've a hunch about this one... :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Hypothetically Man United are 18th, but level on points with Fulham, in 17th. Fulham have a marginally better goal difference. Would folk rather we beat Fulham 4-0, making their GD worse than the DMBs, or 4-3 thus sending down the Rags? Simples I thought :D

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:34 pm

Prufrock wrote:Hypothetically Man United are 18th, but level on points with Fulham, in 17th. Fulham have a marginally better goal difference. Would folk rather we beat Fulham 4-0, making their GD worse than the DMBs, or 4-3 thus sending down the Rags? Simples I thought :D
Is Nolan playing for Fulham in this scenario? :wink:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:Hypothetically Man United are 18th, but level on points with Fulham, in 17th. Fulham have a marginally better goal difference. Would folk rather we beat Fulham 4-0, making their GD worse than the DMBs, or 4-3 thus sending down the Rags? Simples I thought :D
I'd certainly managed the DMB's get relegated bit, first read. It looked good to me.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 pm

This argument is ridiculous as if Manchester United were in danger of going down the league would simply change the rules as they did with West Ham.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Cheer in the warm up, maybe even a tune. Applaud on, applaud off.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:30 pm

Verbal wrote:Cheer in the warm up, maybe even a tune. Applaud on, applaud off.
Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies.............................................

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Mar wrote:Hopefully Nolan won't get on the scoresheet but if he did i'd hope he had the sense of mind to keep the celebrations low key.
There's an article on the official website with a quote from Nolan that he won't be celebrating if he scores a goal. Fair play, I suppose.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
Mar wrote:Hopefully Nolan won't get on the scoresheet but if he did i'd hope he had the sense of mind to keep the celebrations low key.
There's an article on the official website with a quote from Nolan that he won't be celebrating if he scores a goal. Fair play, I suppose.
It really grinds my gears when players refuse to celebrate - it should be a happy occasion goddammit.

disclaimer - he won't score anyway

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
Don't see why not. He doesn't play for us now and other opposition players always celebrate a goal. Is he planning to celebrate when we score? Strange mentality really.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bettyrasta
Promising
Promising

Post by bettyrasta » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:07 pm

East Lower wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote:
It really grinds my gears when players refuse to celebrate - it should be a happy occasion goddammit.

disclaimer - he won't score anyway
Maybe this should be a pact that if he's unfortunate enough to score an own goal we agree not to celebrate....This trend to ask if players celebrated when scoring against former clubs and implying that they're disloyal if they do, does seem a bit puerile. They've moved on, everybody should. Mind you, I do recall a very enjoyable Denis Law non-celebration.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote:
Don't see why not. He doesn't play for us now and other opposition players always celebrate a goal. Is he planning to celebrate when we score? Strange mentality really.

it's hardly that strange or surprising - and remarkably common. having an ex-player score against you at home is a big enough kick in the teeth without that player also leaping about in excited jubilation. it's a nice gesture - he isn't the first to offer it and and he won't be the last. I for one applaud his restraint and respect him for that more than (ooh - let me think) - adebayour when he scored against arsenal.

maybe you older generations simply don't "get" a bit of gentlemanly and respectful restraint when you see it...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Good on him. It's a case of not rubbing it in the faces of what used to be your own support.

So East Lower, you sat back all restrained when Ricketts ran along the touchline with cupped ear in that Middlesbrough game? Not that I'm suggesting it's any excuse to have a go at Nolan like.

Loves Davies, to the point of (understandable) man crush, hates Nolan utterly. A few like that.