Saviour XI

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Re: Saviour XI

Post by Verbal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:37 pm

Dare I mention Gerald Cid?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Latham8wfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Latham8wfc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:38 pm

Bo Hansen, Martin Djetou, Gaetano Giallanza......
http://twitter.com/New_Latham8wfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:38 pm

Olaf Pal Snorasson (sp?) was signed as a 16 year old or thereabouts and trumpeted by the club as the new Solskajer. Where'd he go?

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:40 pm

ratbert wrote:Olaf Pal Snorasson (sp?) was signed as a 16 year old or thereabouts and trumpeted by the club as the new Solskajer. Where'd he go?
OUTSTANDING SHOUT
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Puskas wrote:Michael Brown.

If I'm not mistaken, Tony Kelly was the "makeweight" (do your own joke) in the big money move that saw us sign Michael Brown from Shrewsbury.

He was fast, I'll give him that.
Good call - Michael Brown cost us a (then) fortune didnt he?

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:42 pm

AL-HABSI

LAVILLE (post-injury)
NEWSOME
COLEMAN (post-injury)

RIGA
DZEMAILI
ANDRANIK
WILHELMSSON

JARDEL
NISHIZAWA
SMOLAREK

SUBS;
Johan Elmander
Jared Borgetti
Martin Petrov
Olaf-Pal Snorrason
Bo Hansen
Ricardo Vaz Te
Dean Holden (post-injury)
Blessing Kaku
Khalilou Fadiga
Julio Cesar
Gerald Cid
Fredi Bobic
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Surely a better saviour keeper who let us down (sort of) would be that American chap who got injured vs Blackburn in the Cup?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Most of these were just hyped up new signings who turned out to be shite, which I think is slightly different.

I view it as someone who's reputation increased only due to the fact they never played, often being cited as being far superior to those who were in possession of the shirt. Were proved not good enough later either here or elsewhere.

On that basis Borgetti, Andranik, Riga, David Thompson, Vaz Te, James Sinclair and Smolarek are all good shouts. Joey O'Brien in his first season too.

Sam Ricketts is in a regular cycle of this, so I'm not sure where to place him. He gets in the team, is shite, gets dropped, people forget and think he's great again, he gets back in the team. And repeat.

Latham8wfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Latham8wfc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:46 pm

ratbert wrote:Olaf Pal Snorasson (sp?) was signed as a 16 year old or thereabouts and trumpeted by the club as the new Solskajer. Where'd he go?
:pray:

Think he plays for FC Reykjavik ....http://www.footmercato.net/joueur/Olafu ... 74718.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://twitter.com/New_Latham8wfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:46 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Most of these were just hyped up new signings who turned out to be shite, which I think is slightly different.

I view it as someone who's reputation increased only due to the fact they never played, often being cited as being far superior to those who were in possession of the shirt. Were proved not good enough later either here or elsewhere.

On that basis Borgetti, Andranik, Riga, David Thompson, Vaz Te, James Sinclair and Smolarek are all good shouts. Joey O'Brien in his first season too.
Sam Ricketts is in a regular cycle of this, so I'm not sure where to place him. He gets in the team, is shite, gets dropped, people forget and think he's great again, he gets back in the team. And repeat.
Then in the same breath, Wilhelmsson, Jardel, Nishizawa and Riga are also perfect.

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Surely a better saviour keeper who let us down (sort of) would be that American chap who got injured vs Blackburn in the Cup?
Do you mean Juergen Sommer?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Him

aye

he came in, we needed him desperately (saviour-style) to keep goal for 90mins and he didn't.

Harsh I know, but it fulfills criteria

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:50 pm

MJH-12 wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Most of these were just hyped up new signings who turned out to be shite, which I think is slightly different.

Then in the same breath, Wilhelmsson, Jardel, Nishizawa and Riga are also perfect.
Was there ever a clamour for Nishizawa and Jardel to play? I honestly can't remember. If there was, then sure.

Wilhelmsson is half of one because common opinion (including I think mine) was that we were playing him on the wrong wing, and if Sammy Lee simply switched him to the other-side, it would unleash his world class potential and he would fire us up the league. Or something along those lines.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Ian Marshall?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Peter Shilton?
Pfffft.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:51 pm

He did a fine job for us.

Just naming former players now.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Who did a fine job Marshall or Shilton?
Pfffft.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Marshy

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Him

aye

he came in, we needed him desperately (saviour-style) to keep goal for 90mins and he didn't.

Harsh I know, but it fulfills criteria
Didn't he pull his thigh muscle about ten minutes into the game?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:58 pm

Exactly. What a let-down.