Coyle on next season....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Re: Coyle on next season....

Post by plymouth wanderer » Wed May 23, 2012 5:17 pm

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/574231794?-11201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What Jay Jay has to say

REEBOK legend Jay Jay Okocha has launched a stinging attack on Wanderers following their relegation from the Premier League.

The Nigerian magician, who played 145 times for the club as they established themselves as a top-flight force and twice qualified for the UEFA Cup, has been reluctant to voice his opinion on Bolton matters in the past.

But in an article published by a national newspaper, the 38-year-old criticised the lack of progress made since he left in 2006. “We changed the image of the club,” Okocha said of his time with the Whites under Sam Alardyce. “We established the club in the Premier League and we thought they would build from there.

“But all our efforts have been thrown away. It feels like all that work was wasted.”

Okocha joined Fernando Hierro, Bruno Ngotty, Ivan Campo and Youri Djorkaeff as world-renowned stars that chose to play out their autumnal years at the Reebok.

And it was a transfer policy that not only established Wanderers back in the big time, but brought them four consecutive top eight finishes and their first two stints in European competition.

But while there was a change in tack under Sammy Lee and Gary Megson, wage bills continued to escalate, as did the finance ploughed in by owner Eddie Davies.

Owen Coyle’s arrival in January 2010 marked another change in direction, and the Scot was given a brief to curb expenses and start making more effective use of the club’s youth system.

But he was ultimately unable to keep the club in the Premier League after an arduous campaign, leaving Okocha to criticise the way that the club has been managed in recent times.

“I have been following the Premier League very closely because once you have been a footballer you have an affinity with the game,” said the former midfielder, who now lives back in Nigeria.

“It was a sad season for Bolton but it was bound to happen.

“When you don’t spend or invest in the future, you can't always get away with it.

“They have been playing cat and mouse with the club for some time now and the cat has caught up with the mouse. It is a pity.

“We laid a good foundation at Bolton but unfortunately for the fans, they have to deal with Bolton being a struggling team again.”
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 23, 2012 5:20 pm

All I could think reading that article was:

" HE SAYS 'WE' " :pray:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 23, 2012 5:21 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/574231794?-11201

What Jay Jay has to say

REEBOK legend Jay Jay Okocha has launched a stinging attack on Wanderers following their relegation from the Premier League.

The Nigerian magician, who played 145 times for the club as they established themselves as a top-flight force and twice qualified for the UEFA Cup, has been reluctant to voice his opinion on Bolton matters in the past.

But in an article published by a national newspaper, the 38-year-old criticised the lack of progress made since he left in 2006. “We changed the image of the club,” Okocha said of his time with the Whites under Sam Alardyce. “We established the club in the Premier League and we thought they would build from there.

“But all our efforts have been thrown away. It feels like all that work was wasted.”

Okocha joined Fernando Hierro, Bruno Ngotty, Ivan Campo and Youri Djorkaeff as world-renowned stars that chose to play out their autumnal years at the Reebok.

And it was a transfer policy that not only established Wanderers back in the big time, but brought them four consecutive top eight finishes and their first two stints in European competition.

But while there was a change in tack under Sammy Lee and Gary Megson, wage bills continued to escalate, as did the finance ploughed in by owner Eddie Davies.

Owen Coyle’s arrival in January 2010 marked another change in direction, and the Scot was given a brief to curb expenses and start making more effective use of the club’s youth system.

But he was ultimately unable to keep the club in the Premier League after an arduous campaign, leaving Okocha to criticise the way that the club has been managed in recent times.

“I have been following the Premier League very closely because once you have been a footballer you have an affinity with the game,” said the former midfielder, who now lives back in Nigeria.

“When you don’t spend or invest in the future, you can't always get away with it.

“They have been playing cat and mouse with the club for some time now and the cat has caught up with the mouse. It is a pity.

“We laid a good foundation at Bolton but unfortunately for the fans, they have to deal with Bolton being a struggling team again.”
I await the charge of the Coyle brigade to tell us how all the legends are wrong and Coyle is right! Pathetic!!!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Where are these people you always speak of??
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 23, 2012 5:57 pm

boltonboris wrote:All I could think reading that article was:

" HE SAYS 'WE' " :pray:
Who, Gudni? Cos JJ doesn't. Burn him! :twisted:

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed May 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Hoboh wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/574231794?-11201

What Jay Jay has to say

Where does he criticise Coyle?

When you don’t spend or invest in the future, you can't always get away with it.

I await the charge of the Coyle brigade to tell us how all the legends are wrong and Coyle is right! Pathetic!!!
Where does he criticise Coyle?

As I read it he complains about the lack of investment recently.

Let's not make things up.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Trouble is what Okocha says is pretty much true. That if you don't invest in the now and the future you're going to struggle. Interestingly the time when we should have made such a future investment was when Allardyce was here and we were comfortable in the top ten year after year. Allardyce however, wasn't interested in academies and youth teams, and I've heard that from some of the youngsters with the club at that time.

As I've said before Allardyce left no lasting legacy at the club and left a side that needing complete rebuilding within 2 seasons. None of that is Allardyces fault, he did a particular job. A fantastic job.

But a big boat was missed. You can see the logic of Lee to do some of those things, it just didn't work out.

Ultimately I guess that to have a chance to survive in the top flight with a club of our size you need at least of three things. Either a top line, creative driving force of a manager, e.g. Allardyce. Or a top line academy producing top level players consistently. Or bags of money from an investor to buy top players.

We've only ever had one of those things and for a while have had none!

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed May 23, 2012 7:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Trouble is what Okocha says is pretty much true. That if you don't invest in the now and the future you're going to struggle. Interestingly the time when we should have made such a future investment was when Allardyce was here and we were comfortable in the top ten year after year. Allardyce however, wasn't interested in academies and youth teams, and I've heard that from some of the youngsters with the club at that time.

As I've said before Allardyce left no lasting legacy at the club and left a side that needing complete rebuilding within 2 seasons. None of that is Allardyces fault, he did a particular job. A fantastic job.

But a big boat was missed. You can see the logic of Lee to do some of those things, it just didn't work out.

Ultimately I guess that to have a chance to survive in the top flight with a club of our size you need at least of three things. Either a top line, creative driving force of a manager, e.g. Allardyce. Or a top line academy producing top level players consistently. Or bags of money from an investor to buy top players.

We've only ever had one of those things and for a while have had none!
Sensible post that :oyea:
Pfffft.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed May 23, 2012 7:15 pm

It is indeed.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Love Gudni, but he doesn't seem to be saying anything that Coyle and Reo-Coker haven't also said.
Except perhaps "we looked at times fragile and not too sound tactically". I hope Owen was reading!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:It is indeed.
Not as good as mine Owen!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed May 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:It is indeed.
Not as good as mine Owen!
:D

I have no problem with criticism - just sometimes I think people see things that aren't there and off we go on the hyperbole journey.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed May 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Now entering Hyperbole Drive
Pfffft.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed May 23, 2012 7:51 pm

You can't miss it - turn right at Ping Pong Corner.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed May 23, 2012 7:52 pm

Is that straight on from Route one avenue or Tippy Tappy Lane?
Pfffft.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed May 23, 2012 7:53 pm

No - you need to carry on past where Tactics Terrace used to be.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed May 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:No - you need to carry on past where Tactics Terrace used to be.
Wasn't that pulled down last week? :lol: Fat Kitman Cul-de-sac went up as a replacement
Pfffft.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed May 23, 2012 8:24 pm

They stopped building the Fat Kitman deveolpment when Coyle caused the funding to dry up.

It's full of tramps now.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed May 23, 2012 8:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Trouble is what Okocha says is pretty much true. That if you don't invest in the now and the future you're going to struggle. Interestingly the time when we should have made such a future investment was when Allardyce was here and we were comfortable in the top ten year after year. Allardyce however, wasn't interested in academies and youth teams, and I've heard that from some of the youngsters with the club at that time.
Allardyce brought more academy players into the team than Megson and Coyle combined.

ITK.

Fact.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed May 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Don't know if you're serious here?
Pfffft.