Now he's gone, who's next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to see replacing Owen Coyle?

Alan Curbishley
12%
Paolo di Canio
7%
Billy Davies
7%
Keith Hill
4%
Roy Keane
1%
Mick McCarthy
9%
Gary Neville
8%
A rising lower-league boss (eg Micky Mellon)
9%
BWFC legend (eg Hierro/Gudni/McGinlay)
8%
Someone from abroad (eg Solskjaer)
27%
Someone from within (LSL/Jiminho/Didsy/Zico)
2%
AN Other
6%

Total votes: 128

Adam Wilson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Now he's gone, who's next?

Post by Adam Wilson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Ferguson took Peterborough up twice in succession and gets his teams playing decent football with passion, just the ticket for us I reckon. Takes absolutely no shit from anyone either which helps

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:15 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:I like the idea of Solksjaer, ish...but he didnt want to uproot his family in May for the Villa job, i dont see that situation having changed.

He can't stay there forever if he wants to progress as a manager. He lived in the north for long enough playing for the rags so his family should be happy to come back :)

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:17 pm

I know but what i mean is...that was only 4 months ago !

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't think there is any one candidate you can put your name on and say "get him".

I'd be tempted with Keith Hill, simply because I think he can work on a budget (we'll have to) has a vision for playing football and seems like a personality.

Whether he could make the "step up" in terms of budgets, players, expectations etc, I don't know.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Looks likely to be McCarthy. Not a bad shout to be honest. I'd be happy with that appointment.

Would be nice to have Phil Brown coming back either as assistant manager or as the manager. Either way it would be good.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Think you should go for Hope Powell.

horn of plenty par
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by horn of plenty par » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:25 pm

I reckon it will be Gareth Southgate,fits the bill of the chairman and knows him from the FA.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Gareth Southgate? Couldn't think of a worse appointment. I'd've stuck with Coyle over Southgate.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:i still reckon we should use our 'Murican connections - Holden & Ream - and tempt over a 'Murican manager who is ready for the next step...

I know that nobody agreed with me last time I said it - but... surely it'd be tempting for5 someone over there who thinks he's hit a glass ceiling....

either that or an ace german!
Appointing by nationality?
nope - appointing by reference to the german league having what so often look like well-drilled and well-coached teams. I may be wrong - but the merry-go-round of usual suspects all have blots on their copybooks...

as you were the original "anyone but coyle" advocate - then your selection criteria seems a bit wide and vague and potentially suicidal to me...

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:27 pm

I wouldn't be comfortable with any ex-scummers managing us.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Think you should go for Hope Powell.
and her nickname would be... "Pray"
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Beefheart wrote:I wouldn't be comfortable with any ex-scummers managing us.
I'm really not bothered about managers' past teams at this juncture.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Beefheart wrote:I wouldn't be comfortable with any ex-scummers managing us.
Wouldnt bother me in the slightest as i care more about our club than i dont about any others.

But if one did take it on, they would have to expect a 'them and us' situation should things start to go wrong.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:30 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:i still reckon we should use our 'Murican connections - Holden & Ream - and tempt over a 'Murican manager who is ready for the next step...

I know that nobody agreed with me last time I said it - but... surely it'd be tempting for5 someone over there who thinks he's hit a glass ceiling....

either that or an ace german!
Appointing by nationality?
nope - appointing by reference to the german league having what so often look like well-drilled and well-coached teams. I may be wrong - but the merry-go-round of usual suspects all have blots on their copybooks...

as you were the original "anyone but coyle" advocate - then your selection criteria seems a bit wide and vague and potentially suicidal to me...
They do. But I can only imagine that those unknown German and American guys would too, if they were likely to consider us, we'd just not know about them.......

As I said had we done this last season there were potentially more options available to us.

We're going to have to settle for less than perfect. My only criteria now is someone sound enough, sensible enough and pragmatic enough to get us back into contention for promotion.

Baby steps.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:My only criteria now is someone sound enough, sensible enough and pragmatic enough to get us back into contention for promotion.
which is not the same as "not coyle"! :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:35 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:My only criteria now is someone sound enough, sensible enough and pragmatic enough to get us back into contention for promotion.
Well sadly he certainly did not fit that criteria.

It was about getting rid in the first place and then assessing.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
Well sadly he certainly did not fit that criteria.

It was about getting rid in the first place and then assessing.
so who IS "sound enough, sensible enough and pragmatic enough"?

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:37 pm

I would like to see Micky Mellon given the chance.He,s at the same stage as Big Sam was when he came to us and he did,nt do too badly..I don,t want to see another ex player(ie phil brown,reidy,or,Superjohn).They,ll only end up getting abused..GOOD luck OWEN at whatevers next for you.. :pissed: :pissed:

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:38 pm

I would go for someone like Glenn Hoddle or Ray Wilkins with a potential young un in training to be the next manager as assistant. They are both southerners and would not be keen on comin oop north.

I know we tried it with BSA & LSL and it did not work but to be honest LSL did not get any support and the players were shell shocked at the time with BSA leaving and taking all the backroom staff with him. I am not saying appoint LSL but the last time he was in charge was not an ideal situation.

If we are going for an up and coming manager Keith Hill at Barnsley would be a good shout and he already lives in Bolton and has done wonders with Barnsley with no money at all.

Or we could go for Paolo Di Canio may be a bit barmy but seems to get results and tells it as it is, may be a bit too hot headed for Gartside though!

Difficult decision and if it takes a few weeks to come to a decision then so be it as it has to be the right decision otherwise there are dark days ahead and we have been there before and ended up with Phil Neal!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:38 pm

50sQuiff wrote:At the risk of being absolutely slated I would definitely consider Gary Neville. If he demonstrates that he knows what the f*ck he's doing, he's worth the risk. He'd command the respect of the players, he'd be straight-talking with the fans, he'd demand fitness and commitment and his reputation might help us in the transfer market. I'd expect he has high standards and learned a thing or two from Red Nose over the years.
I think he may well make a very good manager, although possibly not yet. He might be better waiting a while, learning from Hodgson, developing contacts.

That said, we are probably about as good a chance as a prospective manager like Neville could reasonably expect: an underperforming but strong squad in a Premier stadium with a club geared for the top flight. He could start lower down, like Ince did, but there's a chance of getting overlooked or being thought of as "only" lower-league.

At the risk of repetition, I would like us to draw up a shortlist and interview people. I get the strong impression that hasn't happened properly (without Mark Curtis) since we appointed Allardyce, if not before – and if it was before, that means it was replacing Phil Neal 20 years ago. Which went well.

I'd like us to sound out Neville, but also interview a few others including Keith Hill and Mick McCarthy. I would like us to actually advertise the job, worldwide, and to consider outstanding applicants from afar. Whoever comes in shouldn't have to do a massive turnaround job to get this squad challenging. We need to get the right man to get us up and keep us up, two different aims - might as well spread the net wide.