Coyle Left us in Good Shape...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Re: Coyle Left us in Good Shape...

Post by midlands exile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:48 pm

BL3 wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Coyle spent plenty on wages and fees.
His net spend was just over £2.5M when we were in the Premier League. He also reduced the wage bill by half during that time.
And reduced the value of the squad and revenue of the club by much, much more!

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:35 pm

midlands exile wrote:
BL3 wrote:
His net spend was just over £2.5M when we were in the Premier League. He also reduced the wage bill by half during that time.
Loss of revenue is the risk the club took when they decided to slash the wage bill. They were obviously aware of the possible consequences.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:10 pm

BL3 wrote:
midlands exile wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Loss of revenue is the risk the club took when they decided to slash the wage bill. They were obviously aware of the possible consequences.
Owen, no matter how much the fur coat cost or didn't , you were shite thats why you are out of work no other reason.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:17 pm

BL3 wrote:
midlands exile wrote:
BL3 wrote:
But most of the wage savings were realised AFTER we were relegated! So it was Coyle's incompetence that caused the loss of premier league income, not financial pressures.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:20 pm

midlands exile wrote:
BL3 wrote:
midlands exile wrote:
BL3 wrote:
But most of the wage savings were realised AFTER we were relegated! So it was Coyle's incompetence that caused the loss of premier league income, not financial pressures.
Most if not all the savings were made before we were relegated or have you not been paying attention for the last three seasons?

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:28 pm

BL3 wrote:
Most if not all the savings were made before we were relegated or have you not been paying attention for the last three seasons?
Link?

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Whookam wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Link?
Try page one of this thread for a start.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:54 pm

BL3 wrote:
Whookam wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Link?
Try page one of this thread for a start.
"I've slashed the wage bill, as we had to do over a period of coming up for three years,"
Errr so where does it say he slashed it by half prior to relegation? Also if you really believe that which players left the club during that time and how did they account for 50% of the wage bill compared with those that left this summer?

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Any idiot can slash a wage bill, by simply not renewing overpriced contracts when they expire, and letting players go on a free. Literally anyone could have done that. For that to be a real achievement, you need to maintain quality of performances or at the very least, avoid relegation.

In fact, if Owen Coyle had been sacked at the start of last season, and noone had replaced him (not even a caretaker manager), we would still be exactly where we are today, both in terms of wages and league.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:36 pm

midlands exile wrote:Any idiot can slash a wage bill, by simply not renewing overpriced contracts when they expire, and letting players go on a free. Literally anyone could have done that. For that to be a real achievement, you need to maintain quality of performances or at the very least, avoid relegation.

In fact, if Owen Coyle had been sacked at the start of last season, and noone had replaced him (not even a caretaker manager), we would still be exactly where we are today, both in terms of wages and league.
It's not just about slashing the wage bill though is it? You also have to sign a whole new set of players on a budget to replace them, which makes your second point even more idiotic, if that were possible.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:56 pm

BL3 wrote:
midlands exile wrote:Any idiot can slash a wage bill, by simply not renewing overpriced contracts when they expire, and letting players go on a free. Literally anyone could have done that. For that to be a real achievement, you need to maintain quality of performances or at the very least, avoid relegation.

It's not just about slashing the wage bill though is it? You also have to sign a whole new set of players on a budget to replace them, which makes your second point even more idiotic, if that were possible.
There's the rub though. His signings have been disastrous. Especially the ones he's paid money for. He's not got value for money.

3M on a bloke who's barely played in nearly a year? That's not what you do if you're trying to save money!

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:14 pm

BL3 wrote:

If we'd had no manager last season, we couldn't have fared any worse league-wise as we would have probably been relegated. Which is what actually happened, even with the purveyor of total football Mr Owen Coyle at the helm.

The main reason the wage bill was slashed is because of 12 players leaving this summer, because they weren't offered a contract. So by a lack of action, OC finally succeeded at something?!

And who are this "whole new set of players" we've brought in since the start of last season? Sordell, Mills and Ream came in for substantial fees and have hardly made a positive impact on the first team. Andrews? Loans of Afobe, Warnock and Spearing? From that bunch, only Spearing has looked a good signing so far.

And on top of that there was the delusional statements, tactical ignorance, poor support staff (of his own choosing) and fall-outs with almost all his senior players at some point or other.

I would say that following Holden's injury (which should have been dealt with by positive action in bringing in a replacement, rather than whinging about bad luck) his reign was an unmitigated disaster. Hopefully, the last two matches have given us some hope that there is plenty of potential there, and a better manager can realise it.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:17 pm

BL3 wrote: Most if not all the savings were made before we were relegated or have you not been paying attention for the last three seasons?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18091522" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Chairman Phil Gartside told BBC Radio Manchester on Monday that he expected several players to leave and added that the wage budget could be halved as the club prepare for life in the second tier for the first time since 2001."

Check the date of the article. Looks like savings made after relegation to me.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:40 pm

midlands exile wrote:Loans of Afobe, Warnock and Spearing? From that bunch, only Spearing has looked a good signing so far.
Not accepting that one line. Warnock is the best full back we've had since Candella.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:46 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
midlands exile wrote:Loans of Afobe, Warnock and Spearing? From that bunch, only Spearing has looked a good signing so far.
Not accepting that one line. Warnock is the best full back we've had since Candella.
Maybe compared to Alonso and Robinson! From what I have seen (admittedly mostly highlights), he's shown the odd flash of Zat Knight's DNA, the brainfart bit. Certainly at Wolves, he almost gifted them a third with a lovely little lay-off in his own box.

I remember him being a pretty useful player elsewhere though, so fingers crossed a decent run of first team football will sort him out.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:50 pm

midlands exile wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Maybe compared to Alonso and Robinson! From what I have seen (admittedly mostly highlights), he's shown the odd flash of Zat Knight's DNA, the brainfart bit. Certainly at Wolves, he almost gifted them a third with a lovely little lay-off in his own box.

I remember him being a pretty useful player elsewhere though, so fingers crossed a decent run of first team football will sort him out.
He's got more ability in his left cog than anyone else in our current back 4.

The highlights mustn't be doing him any favours.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

cecil.bob
Reliable
Reliable

Post by cecil.bob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:33 pm

We are where we are, and what's done is done. What's get me is the mans lack of ownership. He said he left us in good shape to win the championship - essentially, we're still a premiership side... Really, Owen?

I doubt anyone told him to cut the wage bill was first priority and staying in the prem was second... Cutting the wage bill doesn't mean shit if your income suddenly drops.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:01 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
midlands exile wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

He's got more ability in his left cog than anyone else in our current back 4.

The highlights mustn't be doing him any favours.
Maybe, but mears, mills and ream aren't exactly maldini, baresi and costacurta.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:41 pm

OK, let me rephrase it and ensure no misunderstandings .... Warnock is a very good player and has settled in well and is a boon to the squad.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:54 pm

I find it odd that despite the superb job Owen did, and how our league position was solely down to bad luck, he hasn't been linked to either the Ipswich or Palace jobs.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"