If Freedman were to be sacked

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: If Freedman were to be sacked

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:36 pm

jaffka wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:If Martin Jol gets sacked, which seems to be a matter of time, he'd be my number one choice, though I'm not sure whether he'd drop down to the Championship. He's an excellent manager though and I'd really like someone like him in the long term.
I'm not having a go at you here SF, but this may as well be filed in the fantasy land .......
And that is sadly the reality we have to get used to.
You really do swing from one extreme to another.

Life must be very tiring where everything is either ace or shit.
Ha. VG .... though, to be fair, he's correct in as much as we are not in the frame for someone like Jol. He'd have no idea how to manage a club in our position ... financially or league position wise
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:41 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
jaffka wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:If Martin Jol gets sacked, which seems to be a matter of time, he'd be my number one choice, though I'm not sure whether he'd drop down to the Championship. He's an excellent manager though and I'd really like someone like him in the long term.
I'm not having a go at you here SF, but this may as well be filed in the fantasy land .......

Ha. VG .... though, to be fair, he's correct in as much as we are not in the frame for someone like Jol. He'd have no idea how to manage a club in our position ... financially or league position wise
It's highly amusing when a club has a managerial vacancy with some of the names thrown about. Bish's bit on Blackburn years ago was a classic.

I also agree that Jol even on the dole wouldn't come here.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:48 pm

jaffka wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I'm not having a go at you here SF, but this may as well be filed in the fantasy land where Sam Allardyce is about to ride back into town and return us to the top 6.

It is the same sort of issue I hear from people about signings now. Turning their nose up at the vast majority of players we're linked with or manage to buy. I myself was guilty of it. Questioning why we'd bother with a Milwall cast off. It is an easy trap to fall into.

But we're not a premiership club anymore. We're not attractive. We are a bottom of the championship, £100M in debt, reducing crowds, fans booing the chairman and the players, club in a fair amount of turmoil.

We won't be getting Martin bloody Clunes, let alone Martin Jol. I'm not even convinced we could attract certain out of work managers. I'm not trying to downplay us here, I just think a lot of the fanbase sit and watch (and I'm as guilty as anyone) and think there is a magic ingredient that will click us back into "place".

We aren't attractive at the minute. Frankly I don't think we'll be getting near returning to the premiership this season, nor for quite a while and we will have to start cutting our cloth accordingly. And that will mean finding a manager, whether that be Freedman or anyone else who wants to come here, work hard and do what they can on the cheap, with a fairly unappreciative fan base.

It isn't about being ace or shit. I like to try and be positive until there is reason not to be.

There is reason not to be.

You get what I'm saying though. There will be lots of people expecting Allardyce/Jol etc to rock up because they still think of us as having that kind of pull.

We're at the bottom of the championship, and we need to not be there. However, we have to accept that is where we are and move accordingly is what I'm saying.

Our players are often criticised for not being grafters, not wanting to work in this division, and there is a definite element of truth in that. But I wonder if it runs right through the club supporters, even board level perhaps? Hard to shake off, but imperative we do.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Barefoot Wanderer wrote:
ChrisC wrote:If West Ham keep losing then Sam might be a free agent.... 8)
that's not as daft as it sounded in my ears. David Sullivan has said as much

has he?? :shock:

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
jaffka wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I'm not having a go at you here SF, but this may as well be filed in the fantasy land where Sam Allardyce is about to ride back into town and return us to the top 6.

It is the same sort of issue I hear from people about signings now. Turning their nose up at the vast majority of players we're linked with or manage to buy. I myself was guilty of it. Questioning why we'd bother with a Milwall cast off. It is an easy trap to fall into.

But we're not a premiership club anymore. We're not attractive. We are a bottom of the championship, £100M in debt, reducing crowds, fans booing the chairman and the players, club in a fair amount of turmoil.

We won't be getting Martin bloody Clunes, let alone Martin Jol. I'm not even convinced we could attract certain out of work managers. I'm not trying to downplay us here, I just think a lot of the fanbase sit and watch (and I'm as guilty as anyone) and think there is a magic ingredient that will click us back into "place".

We aren't attractive at the minute. Frankly I don't think we'll be getting near returning to the premiership this season, nor for quite a while and we will have to start cutting our cloth accordingly. And that will mean finding a manager, whether that be Freedman or anyone else who wants to come here, work hard and do what they can on the cheap, with a fairly unappreciative fan base.

It isn't about being ace or shit. I like to try and be positive until there is reason not to be.

There is reason not to be.

You get what I'm saying though. There will be lots of people expecting Allardyce/Jol etc to rock up because they still think of us as having that kind of pull.

We're at the bottom of the championship, and we need to not be there. However, we have to accept that is where we are and move accordingly is what I'm saying.

Our players are often criticised for not being grafters, not wanting to work in this division, and there is a definite element of truth in that. But I wonder if it runs right through the club supporters, even board level perhaps? Hard to shake off, but imperative we do.
You obviously don't see it because your busy posting when on a high and crashing. I think that you should talk to frank :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:21 pm

jaffka wrote:
You obviously don't see it because your busy posting when on a high and crashing. I think that you should talk to frank :lol:
I'm not sure Frank could cope with the amount of drugs I'm on at the minute. Sadly they are all perfectly legal. :(

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
jaffka wrote:
I'm not sure Frank could cope with the amount of drugs I'm on at the minute. Sadly they are all perfectly legal. :(
Any good ones?

I have had to have morphine for pain relief in the past, how people willingly take that shite is beyond me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm really disturbed by this notion that BWFCi "swings"...

Can't quite put my finger on why... :-)

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I think Jol would give us serious consideration if we were in a better position than we are but, and this is a point I made a few games ago, the longer Freedman is at the helm, the less likely it is that we can attract a quality manager because the chance of promotion gets even slimmer. If we lose our next three or four games, managers like Pulis and Jol are entirely out of the question because the sole aim will be to avoid the drop and good managers aren't interested in a season and a half in the Championship, at the least.

Would he come to us now? Maybe. Like I said, I'm not sure he would drop down but if he wants to stay in England, considering the position Fulham are in right now, it's not like he's going to walk into another Premier League job so maybe it'd be one of his best options? You mention all the negatives but we're still a side with a good squad, a great stadium, a good youth set up, excellent facilities and so on. We have a Premier League set up, so we're more appealing than most sides in the league.

Pulis is a strong candidate but he left Stoke in a better position than Fulham are in now. If Pulis is a possibility, so is Jol, although he has options abroad unlike Pulis.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:09 am

Martin Jol will not move to any team in the Championship. Doesn't matter if we're joint bottom or joint top, unless we're joint top four points clear of third with one game left.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I'm really disturbed by this notion that BWFCi "swings"...

Can't quite put my finger on why... :-)
I just brought my lunch up!!!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 am

Pulis looks like he's most probably heading Wednesday way any day soon.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Pulis looks like he's most probably heading Wednesday way any day soon.
Well, we all are, next week.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Pulis looks like he's most probably heading Wednesday way any day soon.
Well, we all are, next week.
Or rather, they'll be heading Bolton way!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:07 pm

The town of Bolton would celebrate wildly....

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:The town of Bolton would celebrate wildly....
.. then send phil gartside death threats as their next manager also never ever played a game for bolton..

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Wednesday fan I spoke with on the train into the game yesterday said they are in financial strife and can't afford to get rid of Jones without putting themselves in serious bother. I can't see Pulis pitching up there
Pfffft.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:23 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Wednesday fan I spoke with on the train into the game yesterday said they are in financial strife and can't afford to get rid of Jones without putting themselves in serious bother. I can't see Pulis pitching up there
Since we've singed apparently promising young players and have a long term plan based on that policy, Pulis is the last person we should be looking at. Might as well tear up all their contracts. We need someone with a similar plan to Freedman who can actually manage grown ups and play some even remotely attacking football.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:34 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:Wednesday fan I spoke with on the train into the game yesterday said they are in financial strife and can't afford to get rid of Jones without putting themselves in serious bother. I can't see Pulis pitching up there
Since we've singed apparently promising young players and have a long term plan based on that policy, Pulis is the last person we should be looking at. Might as well tear up all their contracts. We need someone with a similar plan to Freedman who can actually manage grown ups and play some even remotely attacking football.
I'm open to managerial suggestions if you have any?
Pfffft.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Not really, don't pay much attention to other clubs and their managers. Sean Dyche would be an amusing one. I imagine a ragtag bunch heading down from Burnley with pitchforks and torches!