Looking forward

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Looking forward

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: He's been asked to play centre-back or left-back, TD - it's not solving Fermat's Last Theorem. Players should be able to play in two positions without their brains frying. Vela, Danns, Feeney, Eidur, Clough, Janko, Bannan, Pratley, M Davies, Chungy, Clayton - they've all fulfilled more than one role this season.
Not quite the point I was making D.S.B We need some overall stability in the team. Gretar Steinsson was a right back (one who used to annoy the shxt out of me by getting sucked into a follow-the ball scenario leaving spaces as big as airport runways, but nevertheless, a right back) Ricardo Gardner was a left back, Gudni and Bruno were central defenders. They played there week after week and the players around them did likewise. I realise injuries have kicked shxt out of our team, but positional versatility is sometimes less desirable, particularly in defence, than somebody who plays full back and thinks he Stanley Mathews. Our recent results might strengthen my view point a bit.....then again, they may not. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Ricardo Gardner was a left back, Gudni and Bruno were central defenders.
Ricardo started as a winger, Gudni played right-back for Spurs, N'Gotty played a fair few times for us at right-back...

I understand your desire for stability but it can lead to inflexibility. As for Ream, he's a left-footed centre-back who has also played left-back for the thick end of two seasons now - if he's still confused, he needs removing, not excusing...

Anyway, Lennon in the BN:
We have a problem with the depth of the squad but I am expecting more from players who have had the opportunity to show what they can do. They are not doing it, so they won’t play. I need my players to step up now. You can't make them physically stronger at this stage of the season. Maybe it is a mental thing. When you tire your concentration has to be at its maximum. We look as though we tire in the last 15 minutes of games. I don't know if that is mental or physical fatigue. Teams always seem to find a way to score against us late on but we can’t manage it.

We have to get better but I don't know how I am going to do that without getting better players in. I have to work with what I have got, get over the line and build for next year.
{On Rochinha} I think once he gets a little bit stronger and more up to speed, we’ll have a very good player to enjoy for the rest of the season,” he said, “then maybe bring him back next season, we’ll see.

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:34 pm

I've never really seen ream as a centre back even though he arrived as one . Always looked like he was playing in house slippers . As a left back he reminds me of former England prospect David Burke . Kind of tidy with a bit of pace. The one time I saw him play infront of the back four he looked great . Televised game against someone that went horribly wrong after a promising start . On that occasion he read the game well intercepted a lot of pass and used the ball intelligently . Think he only got about 20 mins before he had to switch positions though .

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:42 pm

Interesting that NL mentioned building a team around Zach Clough next season in his Wigan press conference....sure that a few on here disagreed as usual when I suggested the same.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:46 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:Interesting that NL mentioned building a team around Zach Clough next season in his Wigan press conference....sure that a few on here disagreed as usual when I suggested the same.
and I still would... I still don't think it's a great idea to build your team around one player... (for obvious reasons) - unless you have the cash to go out and instantly replace that player with an equal or better model should yours get broken... (or turn out to be a 5-game wonder (not that I think Clough IS a 5-game wonder - but his track record is still quite short at first team level..)

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:36 pm

I reckon he was just asked the question and gave a polite answer . Out of interest how many teams are actually built around a player ? It's a nonsense concept !

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:03 pm

Jonah wrote:I reckon he was just asked the question and gave a polite answer . Out of interest how many teams are actually built around a player ? It's a nonsense concept !
But the fact is our manager actually 'said' that he is looking to build a team around Zach Clough next season.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Jonah wrote:I reckon he was just asked the question and gave a polite answer . Out of interest how many teams are actually built around a player ? It's a nonsense concept !
But the fact is our manager actually 'said' that he is looking to build a team around Zach Clough next season.
actually - no he didn't.

when asked: "Without putting pressure on him, is he someone you could build a team around?"
Lennon replied: "Yes he is. That's a start."

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:11 pm

Come on young Bish....that's scraping the barrel even for you.

Our manager has the same thought as me & you can't accept it !! -

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:16 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:Come on young Bish....that's scraping the barrel even for you.

Our manager agrees with something that I posted a few days ago & you can't accept it !!
ok - take it as you see it - and have a smiley-face sticker for saying summat that you think lennon repeated. :D

still doesn't change the fact that it's a daft idea! I doubt Lennon will build a team around Clough (whatever that even means)

this is how quotes become myths and turn into repeated "truths" that don't really match reality... it's important to look back at how the words came out - it wasn't lennon's initiative to announce he was building a team around clough - the words about building a team around clough were from someone else... have a thought to how these press conferences work and you might see it as a little less definitive than you think.

i suspect that Jonah is right here...

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:35 pm

Got to hold my hands up here pt . You were bang on. Lennon is going to build a team around clough .What does it mean ? Do you think lennon means all his plans will now be centred around creating a system through which clough becomes the central focal point . We'd probably have to go 3 5 2 to use him as a number ten.

If you have an interest in semantics the phrase "it's a start" doesn't really imply we have found messi , it suggests he's a talented player who will feature regularly .

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:52 pm

I suspect it's got something to do with trying to get people to renew their STs.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:41 pm

Jonah wrote:Got to hold my hands up here pt . You were bang on. Lennon is going to build a team around clough .What does it mean ? Do you think lennon means all his plans will now be centred around creating a system through which clough becomes the central focal point . We'd probably have to go 3 5 2 to use him as a number ten.

If you have an interest in semantics the phrase "it's a start" doesn't really imply we have found messi , it suggests he's a talented player who will feature regularly .
and as I said a couple of pages back, mavies (when fit) and our young portuguese starlet (assuming he returns) will compete for the no10, with zach, unless we go for the full barca like midfield. Given chungy played there, it is clearly a system that lenny likes.

Just out of interest how many teams have been built around 1 player ? I can't think of any, but I like the idea that you play a system to get the best out of your players, rather than play a system and try and get your players to fit it (dougie !)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:47 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
Jonah wrote:Got to hold my hands up here pt . You were bang on. Lennon is going to build a team around clough .What does it mean ? Do you think lennon means all his plans will now be centred around creating a system through which clough becomes the central focal point . We'd probably have to go 3 5 2 to use him as a number ten.

and as I said a couple of pages back, mavies (when fit) and our young portuguese starlet (assuming he returns) will compete for the no10, with zach, unless we go for the full barca like midfield. Given chungy played there, it is clearly a system that lenny likes.

Just out of interest how many teams have been built around 1 player ? I can't think of any, but I like the idea that you play a system to get the best out of your players, rather than play a system and try and get your players to fit it (dougie !)
yes - this - spot on...

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Exactly staffs trotter . Lennon likes flexibility and will be looking at personel and systems for situations which suit the players he has . At home I can see him aiming to have a number 10 and he will have a few options if rochinha stays and Mavis is fit although Mavis may well play that deeper role he wanted chungy in . I just can't see us using something like that every game . Away from home against decent teams there's a goid chance you'd Darren pratley doing his David platt impression and looking for second ball opportunities knocked down from more physical strikers which is essentially the way he's started to look to play away .cant see us expecting to dominate games away playing through clough surrounded by a bunch of talented flyweights .
Clough may well be a big part of the system who wants to use especially at home but I can still see him sitting on the bench pretty often away from home . Reckon the first priority would be stay in the game and compete physically knowing we have some real talent ready to come on fresh to let us take the momentum in the last half hour .

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
And sometimes it is said to massage a players ego! Iirc Dougie said the same thing regarding Chris Eagles and that turned out well... :crazy:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:04 pm

jonnycooper wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
And sometimes it is said to massage a players ego! Iirc Dougie said the same thing regarding Chris Eagles and that turned out well... :crazy:
The Eagles situation pretty much came down to finances. I can't imagine the Clough situation being anywhere near similar to the Eagles situation.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:50 am

Can't imagine having Clough, Mavies and Rochina fit and not playing them! let's not forget Clough can easily play in a front two, ideally I'd prefer him to play there. with a more physical partner. A team like this with some additions would be exceptional IMO. of course the likelihood is Mavies would be injured after a few weeks, rochina won't come back, Clough will drop into the hole because these two are out, we'll end up with two average/poor strikers, and the defence will still be shit. millions of injuries etc., etc.

-----------------Clough----Striker----------------

Rochina-----------Mavies-----------Clayton

--------------Pratley-------Vela------------------

--------------Total New Defence--------------

-------------------------Amos-----------------------

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:06 am

Total 3 man defence?! Jesus!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:48 am

Total new 3 man defence ! Rumour is that Liverpool have offered to swap can for ream, John terry fancies a move up north and Chelsea think may mills is tailor made for his role and threlkeld is being held back ready to burst on the scene as the next beckenbauer in the new season .
Mind you they'd still concede in the last 5 !