Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 09, 2022 3:25 pm

Johnston has been largely excellent since January. I'm not sure why you're still on his back.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon May 09, 2022 3:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:17 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:11 pm
I’m not sure that I’d pay too much attention to those words from the club media person but If that is the case it would suggest we plan to play 4 at the back next season at least more frequently than we have done second half of this season. Which then makes it interesting as to where Fossey plays. Right wing I guess.
I read it as a "not stepping on anyone's toes" thing. "Competition for places" was another part of that.

John is then "first choice" left wing back, Johnstone is "first choice" left centre back, etc etc

Like I said a while ago, I think he's a lovely tactical signing as well as just being really good player.
I mean if he’s not better than Johnstone then it’s an awful signing.

But hopefully he is and what I’ve seen of him he’d be very good in that role. I absolutely don’t think he’s a wing back in a million years THOUGH I could see him there if we have a lopsided hybrid with Fossey on the right and Iredale left and we drop into a pseudo back four. I can imagine that. It’s the sort of reverse Allardyce used to do with Gardner on the left at times.
...or it just gives us flexibility, both tactically and in terms of personnel

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon May 09, 2022 3:53 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:01 pm
Iredale is official. Brilliant start.

3 year deal...."primarily a left back"
And we have our first result :D :pissed:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 09, 2022 3:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:25 pm
Johnston has been largely excellent since January. I'm not sure why you're still on his back.
I think he’s been awful in many games. Defensively woeful at times. So I fundamentally disagree. I never feel that our defence is secure with him in it.

I just don’t believe he has the consistency or reliability and I’m hoping Iredale will add those.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 09, 2022 4:01 pm

Worth noting the Cambridge local news journalist offered some thoughts on Iredale and bolton links and how he’d fit in. Pretty much concurs with what I’ve seen of him this season.
He is a very crosser of the ball but his attacking capabilities are a bit hit-and-miss, which might have been influenced by the ankle injury he suffered ironically against Bolton back in February.

I quite like the idea of him in the Bolton system as the left centre-back, who can also get forward when needed. He can be that ball-playing centre-back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 09, 2022 4:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I absolutely don’t think he’s a wing back in a million years THOUGH I could see him there if we have a lopsided hybrid with Fossey on the right and Iredale left and we drop into a pseudo back four. I can imagine that. It’s the sort of reverse Allardyce used to do with Gardner on the left at times.
I suspect he may do a similar role to Geth on the other side: we can shuffle across to make a four by adding a wingback to the 3. Wonky Wanderers again.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 09, 2022 4:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:54 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
I think he’s been awful in many games. Defensively woeful at times. So I fundamentally disagree. I never feel that our defence is secure with him in it.

I just don’t believe he has the consistency or reliability and I’m hoping Iredale will add those.
I'm inclined to agree with you on Johnston. I tend to be pleasantly surprised when he gets things right - which isn't a good place to be.

I mean he's not a bad player, however, the cold, hard fact is that we simply need better.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon May 09, 2022 4:07 pm

Loving our approach to transfers at the moment. They seem very calm, measured and done well ahead of time with a clear vision in mind. No waiting till the end of the transfer window.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 09, 2022 4:11 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:07 pm
Loving our approach to transfers at the moment. They seem very calm, measured and done well ahead of time with a clear vision in mind. No waiting till the end of the transfer window.
My thoughts exactly. If the last two seasons have taught us anything then it's that a good start is vital.

Evatt's clearly got an accurate idea as to who he wants and why - let's just hope he can bring them in by the time the players go back in mid June.
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 09, 2022 4:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:02 pm
I suspect he may do a similar role to Geth on the other side: we can shuffle across to make a four by adding a wingback to the 3. Wonky Wanderers again.
This is rather my feeling.

As I've said before, I think Iredale would fit best into our systems as a wide centre back in a three and a fullback in a 4. He's not an ideal wing back for us, I don't think; but he would do a job.

I do think he's currently a better player than Johnston, but I really don't see the issue with George at the minute. For a lad in his first full season who got thrown to the wolves for months, in a defence given no protection, I think he's given a good account of himself.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon May 09, 2022 4:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with you on Johnston. I tend to be pleasantly surprised when he gets things right - which isn't a good place to be.

I mean he's not a bad player, however, the cold, hard fact is that we simply need better.
His bad games have been really bad and he's definitely not one to be relied on as first pick. However I think he's had enough good games and is young enough to keep on and see if he steps up. We definitely need better like you say, but in a year or two he might be it.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon May 09, 2022 4:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:11 pm
Mar wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:07 pm
My thoughts exactly. If the last two seasons have taught us anything then it's that a good start is vital.

Evatt's clearly got an accurate idea as to who he wants and why - let's just hope he can bring them in by the time the players go back in mid June.
I was wondering whether it would be better to leave a couple of spaces open in case there is a really special deal available on deadline day

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 09, 2022 5:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I think he’s quite a good footballer. He’s just not a very good defender.

I don’t know what that means for his position. I rather think he’s a left back in a conventional back four. He’d probably be good in a side that plays that system.

I just don’t think centre back he’s quite there and the contrast between how steady and assured Gethin Jones a converted full back looked in the role compared to Johnston was pretty marked to my eyes.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Mon May 09, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 09, 2022 5:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I absolutely don’t think he’s a wing back in a million years THOUGH I could see him there if we have a lopsided hybrid with Fossey on the right and Iredale left and we drop into a pseudo back four. I can imagine that. It’s the sort of reverse Allardyce used to do with Gardner on the left at times.
That’s where I have him having watched him. He looks an ideal left sided centre half in a back three to me. Mobility, little bit of height. Good on the ball.

I think he’s an upgrade there and concur with the notes from the Cambridge man in that respect.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 09, 2022 5:22 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:48 pm
I was wondering whether it would be better to leave a couple of spaces open in case there is a really special deal available on deadline day
Evatt said he wanted his business done before June 19, when they go to the Portuguese training camp. Now, it would be daft to rule out the possibility of a late deal, but it seems to me those late ones - Genius Suddenly Available - tend to happen more in January than summer.

Maybe a loan kid will appear, but possibly underage.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 09, 2022 5:31 pm

Ultimately, regardless of our own feelings, Iredale joins that group of players the club seem to believe can form part of a decent Championship squad in the future.

Geth, Johnston, Santos, Iredale, John and Fossey is the beginnings of a decent mix of defenders for Evatt to try and get a song out of.

I think this is the time to get a level-above centre half in if we can. We've named lots of reasonable, sensible players we might be able to get in....but I'd like to see a central defender walk in the building who is just obviously too good for the division.

We'll see how it goes, but Iredale is such a good start - both in terms of fit and, from my view, quality.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 09, 2022 5:33 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:31 pm
Ultimately, regardless of our own feelings, Iredale joins that group of players the club seem to believe can form part of a decent Championship squad in the future.

Geth, Johnston, Santos, Iredale, John and Fossey is the beginnings of a decent mix of defenders for Evatt to try and get a song out of.

I think this is the time to get a level-above centre half in if we can. We've named lots of reasonable, sensible players we might be able to get in....but I'd like to see a central defender walk in the building who is just obviously too good for the division.

We'll see how it goes, but Iredale is such a good start - both in terms of fit and, from my view, quality.
For which role - if a back three? Santos plays middle. Jones right. Aimson covers both those. Say Iredale on the left Johnston covers those.

So you are either upgrading on Jones who I put down as our best ‘defender’ or Santos who is captain.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 09, 2022 5:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:33 pm
For which role - if a back three? Santos plays middle. Jones right. Aimson covers both those. Say Iredale on the left Johnston covers those.

So you are either upgrading on Jones who I put down as our best ‘defender’ or Santos who is captain.
Next to Santos in a 4 and right or centre of a three, depending on the game and who is fit. I think there's enough rotation at the back for Geth to still play a lot of football, both as a right back in a four and a right centre back in a three.

A 46 games season and versatility lets players play a lot.

I think we need another centre back. There's no point getting someone to be League One back up if we plan to go up this season.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 09, 2022 5:47 pm

The alternative, of course, is a youngster to develop or a loan with the idea of making it permanent next summer.

Personally I'd like a player who meaningfully improves our chances of winning the league.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon May 09, 2022 5:55 pm

Welcome, Jack.

The novelty of us signing players to three-year or longer contracts still hasn't worn off.