Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:53 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:28 pm
I saw Jaas playing for Woking (v Bromley) in the play offs last month. Bog standard National League goalie.
So an improvement on Dixon then.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:44 pm
At 32, Ward isn't the kid who left. I'd be surprised if he was on our hit list, given we have Bod and Jerome...
Probably best Danny isn't the kid who left considering why we kicked him out and I'd not sign him, personally. However, Evatt was keen at one stage.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:51 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:28 pm
Could we convince Isted to sign for us ahead of Barnsley, do we think?
Hope not.
How come? I'm not his agent, but he collected a few clean sheets - which is an imperfect metric but gives a pointer (a bit like goals scored for a striker).

I'm not sure I want him above The Brilliant Keeper Out There That We Haven't Yet Signed And Can't Quite Name Yet, but I'm intrigued as to why you'd red-pen him.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:52 pm
We have advantages over Barnsley if all the financials are equal.

There's always the Rob Edwards factor too.

You'd expect Barnsley to lead the pack for him, though. They seem keen.
Can you explain to an ageing bear of little brain what the Rob Edwards factor is, and why it's (judging from the surrounding grammar) in our favour?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Hope not.
How come? I'm not his agent, but he collected a few clean sheets - which is an imperfect metric but gives a pointer (a bit like goals scored for a striker).

I'm not sure I want him above The Brilliant Keeper Out There That We Haven't Yet Signed And Can't Quite Name Yet, but I'm intrigued as to why you'd red-pen him.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:52 pm
We have advantages over Barnsley if all the financials are equal.

There's always the Rob Edwards factor too.

You'd expect Barnsley to lead the pack for him, though. They seem keen.
Can you explain to an ageing bear of little brain what the Rob Edwards factor is, and why it's (judging from the surrounding grammar) in our favour?
No great insight just when I’ve seen him I’ve not been hugely impressed.

Also for me he’s too small for a modern keeper.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:43 pm

He and Ian are mates and he's been involved in talking to players about transfers here and talking up both Evatt and the club.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:58 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
At 32, Ward isn't the kid who left. I'd be surprised if he was on our hit list, given we have Bod and Jerome...
Probably best Danny isn't the kid who left considering why we kicked him out and I'd not sign him, personally. However, Evatt was keen at one stage.
Not suggesting he was never on IE's hit list, but I'm guessing that was before we signed Vik and Jerome, and we've offered Bod new terms. We've lost Kacha and N'lundulu and I could envisage that Ward would want more than either of those two. Just seems a bit unlikely in the here and now..

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:59 pm
Not suggesting he was never on IE's hit list, but I'm guessing that was before we signed Vik and Jerome, and we've offered Bod new terms. We've lost Kacha and N'lundulu and I could envisage that Ward would want more than either of those two. Just seems a bit unlikely in the here and now..
I agree with you. I'd be surprised to see him (or any of the others) show up.

I honestly don't know what to expect in terms of transfers. I think we need a strong, fast, technical option in attack. Players who can carry the ball for various positions. That doesn't mean Evatt agrees with me.

We'll see who shows up and I'll take quality wherever we find it. I think we're in a strong position to go up, but I also now feel we need to go up this season. The teams who go up will be the ones who do the best work in the windows.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Hope not.
No great insight just when I’ve seen him I’ve not been hugely impressed.

Also for me he’s too small for a modern keeper.
OK. As I say I have no great opinion on him either. So I had a quick look at some data...

His shot-save percentage is 67.8% – 19th among the division's 34 qualifying keepers. Roughly similar to (but slightly less than) fellow loanees Jamie Cumming (chelse to MK Dons) and Luke Southwood (Reading to Cheltenham). A ways behind 80.3% of the divisional leader Matt Macey (loaned from Luton to Pompey). Traf was third with 78.8%, same as Wycombe's Max Stryjek.

As for other freebies, Will Norris (Burnley, was at Posh) was 7th on 73.8%, and Connor Ripley (Morecambe) 12th on 70.6% from a shell-shocking 252 shots against, 68 more than the next-busiest (Cumming at McDons).

More here if you wish to dive in: https://fbref.com/en/comps/15/keepers/League-One-Stats (scroll pas the teams, to the bottom).
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:43 pm
He and Ian are mates and he's been involved in talking to players about transfers here and talking up both Evatt and the club.
Tell 'im to ask Kane Wilson out for us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:51 am

At this rate, I'm going to have to fire up FM23 to dig up some malicious rumours...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:51 am
At this rate, I'm going to have to fire up FM23 to dig up some malicious rumours...
We're in for Tijani Babangida and Anatoli Todorov.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:38 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:19 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
I'm old enough to remember when Mike Duff was a must-buy. He lifted a few Champions Leagues for my Wanderers... this is before he looked like Leandro Trossard's dad.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:55 pm

Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:38 pm
I'm old enough to remember when Mike Duff was a must-buy. He lifted a few Champions Leagues for my Wanderers... this is before he looked like Leandro Trossard's dad.
Yeah, I think it was him and Taribo West that formed my title winning pairing at uni.

I'd never played CM before and a mate of mine gave me one of his old copies to try.

When I got my first job in football I sent him an old copy of CM with a thank you note and it's become a running joke. When someone gets a plush new gig the other sends the next CM/FM in the series.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:19 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Some good AMC's, but they're mainly our of our range except Filip Krastev :-) Ivan Jaime has great hair! :-)

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:59 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:58 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sorry all - been overseas with work and not up to date - is it confirmed that Nlundulu is no more? I quite liked the look of him and thought he was staying?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:17 pm

We don't know yet, DTM. He still has 12 months contract at Southampton. Dunno if we'd move if they released him (they've not published their list yet)...I think there's a fair few on here, wouldn't want to pay money for him...but obvs Evatt/Markham might have a different view...

I'd possibly consider him if he was 19/20, but he'll be 25 next season...so dunno.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:53 pm

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY
Sheffield Wednesday have released Jack Hunt, David Stockdale, Dennis Adeniran, Jaden Brown, Sam Durrant, Ryan Galvin and Ben Heneghan following their promotion to the Championship.

Aden Flint and Reece James will leave the club following the end of their loan deals at Hillsborough.

Barry Bannan, George Byers, Lee Gregory, Dominic Iorfa, Liam Palmer and Josh Windass have had options in their contracts activated and will remain with the club.

New deals have been offered to Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, Marvin Johnson and Callum Paterson.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:36 pm

Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:53 pm
SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY
Sheffield Wednesday have released Jack Hunt, David Stockdale, Dennis Adeniran, Jaden Brown, Sam Durrant, Ryan Galvin and Ben Heneghan following their promotion to the Championship.

Aden Flint and Reece James will leave the club following the end of their loan deals at Hillsborough.

Barry Bannan, George Byers, Lee Gregory, Dominic Iorfa, Liam Palmer and Josh Windass have had options in their contracts activated and will remain with the club.

New deals have been offered to Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, Marvin Johnson and Callum Paterson.
Someone will get a good player out of Dennis Adeniran, but it probably won't be us. Always thought he'd make a superb RWB at Championship level, but as a midfielder he's still good L1.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:50 pm

Would love Adeniran if could stay fit, but I think he’s just too injury prone :(

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:07 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:50 pm
Would love Adeniran if could stay fit, but I think he’s just too injury prone :(
There are always a few like that at this level. Wednesday's gamble on him certainly hasn't paid off.

I was chatting to an analyst mate this afternoon and we were gaming out what Bolton need, given Evatt's tactics last season in various games. We've already discussed the need for that press-resistent midfielder, which Adeniran would fit (though we can do better). In terms of forwards we're actually missing two types - one in behind and another who can drop off and form that box midfield he wanted to play against Barnsley's press. We've let Kacha go and Dan and Shola have gone back (for now), so we don't really have the option to counter the midpress in any way. We can't carry through and we can't use the third man ball. We also can't pin the backline with pace to prevent them compacting play. For a footballing side it's not a good look at the minute.

I would love to know what they are planning to add in.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:21 am

Latest blog post up looking at potential CB signings :D